Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Melvin
    drink warm beer not cold beer as Europeans do?
    LOL. We don't drink warm beer

Suspended

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    You rely too heavily on Spell-check. Your spelling is fine, but your grammar is atrocious.

EDIT: Spell-check will not recognize if you use:

"are" instead of "or"
    "than" instead of "then"

etc....
    When I was on radio I found that the misuse of grammar was necessary due to the lack of proper grammar used by my listening audience. I might add that writing is not one of my strengths . I apologize for my poor grammar.
    I will in the future edit my post.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin walker
    List the words that are spelled incorrectly.
    surbuban=suburban
    payed=paid

You might be happier if you lightened up a bit. Just my opinion.

rw

"List the words that are spelled incorrectly."

List the words that are spelled incorrectly.
    Well, for starters, how about "transmission turrntable"?

Granted, when used individually both words are spelled correctly, but when used in the combination you propose, they make no fargin' sense at all. ergo, you blew it.

And, one doesn't need a degree in english to critique your spelling and grammar.

Are you smarter than a fifth grader?

You're popping farts in a bathtub with your nose if you think your excuses are workin

When I was on radio I found that the misuse of grammar was necessary due to the lack of proper grammar used by my listening audience. I might add that writing is not one of my strengths . I apologize for my poor grammar.
    I will in the future edit my post.
    So, as long as you didn't write anything down your ignorance of the English language wasn't an issue?

From the look of your posts here, your sentence construction isn't to strong either, and that can't be hidden by working only with the spoken word.

And, before you get a hard-on, I ran out of room in the subject line so "working" got truncated.

In America some of us buy 6 litre cars because we desire them. I drive a 5 litre car that gets 10 miles per gallon in the city and 18 miles a gallon on the highway. In America we have those choices would you want to change that ? Some of us have large homes ,
    that use a lot of fuel to heat and cool. Would you change that ? Than there are lawnmowers , freezers , and power consuming audio equipment. Would you wish to eliminate that also?

If American stopped being the best consumer market in the world than what do you think would happen to other countries who depend on the American consumers ?
    It's the American way. Most of us could live in apartments as most Europeans do. Drive 2 litre cars as most Europeans do and drink warm beer not cold beer as Europeans do. Is that what you want for America ?
    If so than vote and work for change.

I won't stop you from buying a big car, especially not in the USA, where you could actually use it, all big cars do here is take up space IMO, but do you think we all drive a smart? And we don't all live in small houses here too you know, most of us live in houses, not in appartements, and our beer is cold, and good...

Perhaps you should actually visit Europe before saying we are wrong and you are right.

and you are the best consumer market in the world? yes, that's actually true. It does have a downside too you know. They calculated this a while back, if we all consumed like americans, we would need 3 'earths', just to accumulate for the need of the people. I agree that there are things you need to be able to enjoy, albeit cars, or anything else.

and let me give you the quick and only explanation why some of us drive 2 litre cars, anything we need to 'survive' is within one mile away from our home, grocery store, bakery, butchery, apothecary, post office, also the doctor, ...
    you don't even need a car, well, we do use it, because driving trough the rain on your bike is not as fun.
    Then, the nearest town (Antwerp, look that up if you don't know where that is, and I presume not, seeing your interpretation of people in europe), is about 30 minutes away on public transport, which actually is faster than going with the car. When we do need the car, we use that, but still, it ain't a huge distance (about 10 km).
    We need the car to go to other cities, such as Ghent, or Brussels, or Leuven, or elsewhere, or when we go on holiday (when we're not going by plane).

Got my point? I know you americans all need big cars, the distances you have to travel are immense compared to what we have to travel on a day. And I agree everyone has the right to have whatever car they want, but here you'll have to pay for it, just as in the USA, where a car that consumes more, is something people pay more taxes for. Here those taxes are just slightly higher, get over it.

We have those choices too, nothing in the world prevents us from buying what we want.

stop thinking you're the only free country in the world.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Nope, I'm not an English major. I just had ordinary public school training. (There's also a college degree but they didn't spend any time on spelling, grammar or punctuation. It was assumed you already possessed those skills.)

So, you want some Melvin Walker spelling/grammar errors? These are from just the last two pages of this one thread.

Most of cost of patrol (presume you meant "petrol")

...it suffers from to many government social programs , that is becoming harder and harder to fund. (should be "too many" and "that are")

All American receive (plurality error)

An American worker and a German worker earn about the same the differences is the American keeps most of his salary. Those luxury cars built in Germany is shipped to America. (severe punctuation problems, plurality error.)

Your second point again I never wrote. Read my post , don't interpret them. Than post I wrote what you interpreted. ( Whew! Hard to know where to begin on this one.)

My question is , public schools in America is payed for by the taxpayer, an education is essential , (Perhaps you meant "paid"? Overall, very odd construction.)

When I was on radio I found that the misuse of grammar was necessary due to the lack of proper grammar used by my listening audience. (See comment below.)
    I love that last line. Were radio listeners calling station management to complain about your correct grammar? Were you instructed to speak poorly? Fascinating!

In short, every single time a message appears from you, the post is full of spelling errors ("are" instead of "or" is common, though I guess one could debate that the wrong word spelled correctly is not a spelling error), grammatical errors, poor syntax, and extremely odd punctuation. As noted before, these severely detract from whatever point you're attempting to make.

If you can't spot your errors even in retrospect, then your own education has failed you in this area. A book I've found helpful for my writing is "Line By Line - How To Improve Your Own Writing" by Claire Kehrwald Cook.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl
    A book I've found helpful for my writing is "Line By Line - How To Improve Your Own Writing" by Claire Kehrwald Cook.
    Unless that book was written in 1950, I doubt Melvin would give it the time of day. Also, I sure hope it's leather bound, as only the low class would consider picking up a book that is a paperback.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Unless that book was written in 1950, I doubt Melvin would give it the time of day. Also, I sure hope it's leather bound, as only the low class would consider picking up a book that is a paperback.
    I'm always cracked up by these comments. Thanks for making my day better

Suspended
    Beefy's a funny guy isn't he?

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    I never wrote that " Everybody that fails is stupid and / lazy "
    Public education ,is good or bad based on community involvement. Example; The St.Louis Public schools are so poor that the state was forced to remove local control and administer the schools from the state level.

The St.Louis parental involvement in P.T.A and P.T.O in St.Louis is less than 15% !
    The better surbuban schools has a parental involvement in P.T.A. and P.T.O of over
    80 % !.

Your second point again I never wrote. Read my post , don't interpret them. Than post I wrote what you interpreted.
    My question is , public schools in America is payed for by the taxpayer, an education is essential , there many poor American that take advantage of America public schools and move into the middle class. There are others who don't. Those who don't suffer the consequences. What is it you disagree with in that statement ?
    community involvement

That would be parents.

consequences.

That would be welfare.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    Unless that book was written in 1950, I doubt Melvin would give it the time of day.
    I owe the forum an apology. The book was written in 1985, and worse, it was published by the "Modern Language Association." Foolish me - the book is completely unsuitable for the use suggested. Mea culpa.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl
    I owe the forum an apology. The book was written in 1985, and worse, it was published by the "Modern Language Association." Foolish me - the book is completely unsuitable for the use suggested. Mea culpa.
    Against my better judgement I have given you a "greenie" for TRYING to help. Although you are only acerbating the situation and causing untold grief and misery for Mr. Walker, your feeble attempt at help is appreciated.

If you want to check your "greenie" count, click on the tag "User CP" on the upper left.

If you ever want to leave "greenies" or "reddies", click the small antenne thingie in the post you either enjoy or loath. Word of caution, the "greenie" gun is prone to blockage. You must spread the love, less it will fail you. As you can see, Mr. Walker is squarly in the "red" catagory.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

I'm sorry, is this a dating site...I thought this was an audio site...why don't you guys go and get a room somewhere...just kiddin...really, i like greenies...what's a greenie?
    be well...and learn each day

kunk

Quote Originally Posted by KUNK
    what's a greenie?
    reputation points,
    see that green square thingy under your name/location... on the left? that's your reputation.

if you go to the user CP, you can see how much reputation points you have.
    if it turns red, it means you're doing bad.

you can give rep points by clicking the weighing scale below, and then choose if you approve (a greenie), or dissaprove (a red chicklet), with the chosen post...

Don't go wild though...

Keep them spinning,
    and oh, Welcome to AR

Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    Yeah. And since you're a n00b, we can quickly turn your greenie to a red one.

And...

Welcome to Happy Acres!!!

I'm amazed

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas

And...

In this whole thread (so far), despite spitting on the cherished beliefs of number of people, I've got no red ones. (Or green for that matter.)
    Last edited by Feanor; 02-04-2008 at 07:57 AM.

Suspended

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Well, for starters, how about "transmission turrntable"?

Granted, when used individually both words are spelled correctly, but when used in the combination you propose, they make no fargin' sense at all. ergo, you blew it.

And, one doesn't need a degree in english to critique your spelling and grammar.

Are you smarter than a fifth grader?
    You may correct my grammar , but I have taken a look at your audio system . You are not an audiophile !
    Your audio system is rather inexpensive. It appears your interest is video not audio.
    You would be a better fit for a video forum.

English may be one of your strengths , but spelling is not , why not also use spell check.
    Please make some Improvements on that mediocre audio system !

Suspended
    Yeah Mark, you need to spend more money on old AUDIO components. Your stereo is a big weenie.

Suspended

Wink

I have taken a look at your audio system as well. You didn't break the bank putting it together.
    You also would not be classified as an audiophile.
    Why not invest a few American dollars and upgrade. Are there any audiophiles around ??
    It appears you wish to discuss audio but is reluctant to get seriously involved in audio by spending a little money !

Suspended
    Yeah beefy, you need to spend more money on old AUDIO components. Your stereo is a big weenie!

Suspended

And...

Your audio system , CHEAP , CHEAP , CHEAP , . When are you going to invest in some decent audio equipment ?
    WHERE ARE THE AUDIOPHILES ????
    All I see presented on this site is low - fi !
    Receivers you are kidding me aren't you ?

Oh, that hurt to the quick! I guess I'll hang my head in shame now.

You may correct my grammar , but I have taken a look at your audio system . You are not an audiophile !
    Maybe not, but it sure produces a realistic representation of the music I listen to. And this opinion is shared by a lot of professional and amateur musicians and vocalists.

And, I don't think I've ever seriously considered myself an audiophile. Most of us don't.

Your audio system is rather inexpensive. It appears your interest is video not audio.
    You would be a better fit for a video forum.
    Really? I'm doing a heckuva lot better here than you are and, odds are I'll be here long after you're gone. Smell that tar heating up and see that guy with the bagful of feathers? Oh look, here come the men with the rail.

English may be one of your strengths , but spelling is not , why not also use spell check.
    ...and this from a man who can't differentiate between "or" and "are" or "transmission" and "transcription"?

Now, I don't care who you are, that's funny!

Please make some Improvements on that mediocre audio system !
    Right, mel. I'll jump right on it. Gotta get it up to your standards so you think better of me, ya know. You just worry about getting it up...

Seriously, even by your standards this is a bizarre post.

You're really grasping at straws, aren't ya?
    Last edited by markw; 02-04-2008 at 08:24 AM.

Yeah Mark, you need to spend more money on old AUDIO components. Your stereo is a big weenie.
    Well, I guess ol' mel is an expert on weenies.

apparantly, none of us are qualified to be offering advice here. ..and I kan't spell, eethur.

How long do you figure before he goes super nova and is shown the door?

Suspended

Wink

Against my better judgement I have given you a "greenie" for TRYING to help. Although you are only acerbating the situation and causing untold grief and misery for Mr. Walker, your feeble attempt at help is appreciated.

If you want to check your "greenie" count, click on the tag "User CP" on the upper left.

If you ever want to leave "greenies" or "reddies", click the small antenne thingie in the post you either enjoy or loath. Word of caution, the "greenie" gun is prone to blockage. You must spread the love, less it will fail you. As you can see, Mr. Walker is squarly in the "red" catagory.
    You own a Pioneer receiver , Why would you use a Pioneer receiver ? I gather you are not an audiophile. I am afraid to ask what types of JBL speakers you own.
    IS THERE ANYONE ON THIS SITE THAT IS AN AUDIOPHILE ?
    Please respond !

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information