Forum Regular

Question What kind of power will I need for Cerwin Vega RE-30 12" Floorstanding Speakers?

Hi,

I already own a pair of crappy KLH 15" woofer 4-way floorstanding speakers and my Harman Kardon HK-3475 2x110w stereo receiver does the job on those alright without any extra power amplifier(s.) I fear that when I drop down some money on the Cerwin Vega RE-30 12" Floorstanding Speakers I might need some extra boost to really get those magnets moving. Could someone please answer the following questions I have; i'm sorry i know relatively little about how audio equipment ACTUALLY works;

1) If the speakers are rated at 250Watts max and my HK receiver is 2x110Watts, and i want to be getting the best performance from the 12" woofers, do i necessarily need more power [can too much power be bad for the speakers?]

2) If I did get an amplifier to help my receiver, would the amp ADD wattage to the amount of wattage that is already present in my receiver? (if I get an amp will the speakers only be getting powered by the amp, or by the power of the amp + the power of the receiver?)

3) If I do indeed need an extra amp to get the job done, does anyone recommend any amps for under $200 or so that could efficiently get the job done for my specific application?

It seems to me that the only people nowadays that bump 12" monitors, or 15" monitors are turntablist DJs who have professional rack-equipment amps and such. Is there a market for home-entertainment power amps that would drive my vegas?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any feedback at all which will help me.

1)Your H/K amp will be absolutely fine. It will be able to make those speakers go to painfull levels. What you have to look at is the speakers sensitivity (how loud it is with 1 watt by 1 meter.) The CV's are very efficient so they will go much louder than the KLH's even though it's the same amp. Speaker power ratings are almost useless.
    2) Yes and No. If your speakers are bi ampable/wireable than yes. If they aren't you'd just begiving it the power from the outboard amp.

Happy listening

-joey

Quote Originally Posted by theshiggarfraggar
    1) If the speakers are rated at 250Watts max and my HK receiver is 2x110Watts, and i want to be getting the best performance from the 12" woofers, do i necessarily need more power [can too much power be bad for the speakers?]
    These speakers are rated at an extremely efficient 97dB/1w/1m meaning they produce a very loud 97dB's of sound pressure off of only 1 watt measured at 1 meter. That's freakin' loud. You won't need more power. BTW, too much power is just as bad as not enough power. Too much and the speakers will distort, too little and your amp will start to clip and possibly damage the drivers. Just use common sense; when it sounds bad, turn it down.

2) If I did get an amplifier to help my receiver, would the amp ADD wattage to the amount of wattage that is already present in my receiver? (if I get an amp will the speakers only be getting powered by the amp, or by the power of the amp + the power of the receiver?)
    No, that would require "bridging". Using the pre-outs on your receiver will net you only the power of the outboard amp.

3) If I do indeed need an extra amp to get the job done, does anyone recommend any amps for under $200 or so that could efficiently get the job done for my specific application?
    You won't need it.

It seems to me that the only people nowadays that bump 12" monitors, or 15" monitors are turntablist DJs who have professional rack-equipment amps and such. Is there a market for home-entertainment power amps that would drive my vegas?
    Any amp that is stable into 4 ohms will do. The CV's are surprisingly 4 ohm nominal (usually it's 8) so just make sure whatever you use is stable. These speakers aren't that expensive and I certainly wouldn't invest in separates for them. However, if you must, this will more than suffice:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=245-460

Hope this helps.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

SWEET JEBUS! 97dB/w/m?

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    These speakers are rated at an extremely efficient 97dB/1w/1m meaning they produce a very loud 97dB's of sound pressure off of only 1 watt measured at 1 meter. That's freakin' loud. You won't need more power. BTW, too much power is just as bad as not enough power. Too much and the speakers will distort, too little and your amp will start to clip and possibly damage the drivers. Just use common sense; when it sounds bad, turn it down.
    Ahh yes, Cerwin Vega. I use to have a pair back in the college days we used for parties. I think everybody who owns CV's should be forced to play the "Back in Black" album by AC/DC.
    97 dB's is pretty efficient, that H/K shouldn't have a problem with them at all. I used a crappy old Technics receiver that we also doubled up as a grill to fry eggs, bacon etc because the damn thing ran so hot.
    Say what you want about CV's, they do exactly what they're designed to do very well.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I use to have a pair back in the college days we used for parties. I think everybody who owns CV's should be forced to play the "Back in Black" album by AC/DC.

LOL! Can I get an AMEN to that!

Back in college we had two different sets of speaker we'd use: My Missions and for parties, my roommate's Technics, complete with 15" woofers. Dude, could those babies pump out the spl's! We had a test cd that actually had the sound of a big jet doing a fly-by. One time we had it cranked and everyone ran out to the patio terrified and looking for the plane that had just crashed!

Ahhh...good times !

Forum Regular

Talking awesome

Haha,

You guys guessed it, I'm definitely a college student. The house that we're renting for next year has the perfect sized living room for the application of the CVs I will be getting. I hope to put on some awesome parties next year and I've got quite the music collection to test the speakers by. I'm extremely delighted to know i won't need an amp in addition to my HK receiver, and I thank all of you for reassuring me an amp isn't necessary. I am so stoked for next year - if these Vegas are as loud and fun as everyone says, our parties are gonna rock!

Hope our neighbors are cool ;-)

Forum Regular

Question 4 ohms nominal?

Any amp that is stable into 4 ohms will do. The CV's are surprisingly 4 ohm nominal (usually it's 8) so just make sure whatever you use is stable. These speakers aren't that expensive and I certainly wouldn't invest in separates for them. However, if you must, this will more than suffice:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/show...tnumber=245-460

Hmmm my hk 3475 is an 8ohms amplifier/receiver. Does this mean it will not be such a good receiver to use with the 4ohms nominal speakers? Am I running any risks by hooking them up?

Yeah, but H/K makes a good amp and it shouldn't have much of a problem. It may Just play a little hotter. Just turn it down when it starts to sound bad and you're fine.

I took a quick look at the owners manual, it seems to suggest your amp can handle a 4 ohm load so I wouldn't worry about it, but make sure you have it placed somewhere with lots of air flow, in a room that isn't too hot. 4 ohm speakers love the juice.

Forum Regular

Lightbulb hmm

does anyone ever setup heat sinks/fans to their amps to keep them cool? Would this be a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by theshiggarfraggar
    does anyone ever setup heat sinks/fans to their amps to keep them cool? Would this be a good idea?
    Uhh...yeah, just about every manufacturer that ever made an amplifier...

Most are quite adequately cooled if driven properly in an environment with good airflow.

Forum Regular
    "i want to be getting the best performance from the 12" woofers, do i necessarily need more power "

Hey DUDE, if you really want "THE BEST" from those babies, you aren't going to get all its got in them from that receiver. You want POWER! YeaH!

Here's whatcha do. Order the Crown CE-1000 from Parts Express.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....Page_ID=133#ce

At 450 watts per channel into 4 ohms with chest thumping bass, it will rock your world. At only $450 including shipping they're practically giving it away. BTW, if your receiver doesn't have a preamp output, you will need one that does or better yet, a separate preamp.

Hope your friends like to help you move. Once that CE-1000 arrives, it won't be long before your neighbors will have you evicted, that is after you get out of the can for disturbing the peace.

Forum Regular
    You wouldnt by chance be a representative of "parts express" now would you?

From what everyone else has said it sounds like that much power would be overkill and my receiver will handle the job just fine. Thank you for the input though, if I decide to upgrade to floorstandings with 15" drivers i will definitely keep crown in mind.

AR Newbie Registered Member

cerwin vegas

ill tell ya i had a set back in 82 they were at10s and they were the same 1w 1 meter speakers and i ran a jvc rx500 reciever and it was 100wpc rms and they rocked and was never distorted.i won a set of re30 on ebay that are clean and very nice for 99dollars i pick up and im gonna hit those with a crown ce-2000.they will be hooked together with a set of jbl tr125 so it will be at 2ohm load.that should do the job.if u did hit those with a ce1000 they will rattle the glasses of the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptic
    "i want to be getting the best performance from the 12" woofers, do i necessarily need more power "

Hey DUDE, if you really want "THE BEST" from those babies, you aren't going to get all its got in them from that receiver. You want POWER! YeaH!

Here's whatcha do. Order the Crown CE-1000 from Parts Express.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....Page_ID=133#ce

At 450 watts per channel into 4 ohms with chest thumping bass, it will rock your world. At only $450 including shipping they're practically giving it away. BTW, if your receiver doesn't have a preamp output, you will need one that does or better yet, a separate preamp.

Hope your friends like to help you move. Once that CE-1000 arrives, it won't be long before your neighbors will have you evicted, that is after you get out of the can for disturbing the peace.

Suspended
    WHAT THE ****??? Why in the world did you dig up a four year old thread n00b???

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    WHAT THE ****??? Why in the world did you dig up a four year old thread n00b???

Why are you posting on it?
    But it makes you wonder, did the Op ever develope enough taste to move outta his trailer and get some real speakers?
    Or did the Cv noisemakers permantly damage his hearing?
    What ever became of the CV dude? Did he surrive his poor taste?
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information