Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    _ Luvin Da Blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    _
    Posts
    1,951

    WAF..Good or Bad?

    Not sure if theres been a thread on this in the past.

    I have slowly been upgrading my system lately and have full support for my better half even though she admits she would be happy with a AM radio. I guess a have a good one in my life. Having said that, she says she does appreciate the better sound coming from the speakers and doesn't give me any flack about this.

    I was wondering how everyone else deals (or not) with this situation. Do you have support from her/him. I'm sure we all have stories to tell or frustration to get out.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

  2. #2
    Sgt. At Arms Worf101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Troy, New York
    Posts
    4,288

    I've had it cut both ways.

    I used to run Ohm Walsh 4's as my mains in my HT system. I liked their sound and lood. The ole lady however thought they looked hidieous. She said and I quote "pyramids are for Egypt, not the living room". Into the basment went the Ohm 4's and Ohm F's. I went out and got some Platinum Audio 3's. Superior speaker in some aspects and my first "modern" monitor. She does have definate opinions as to how things look, but she also "appreciates" how much better my stuff sounds with both music and movies.

    Da Worfster

  3. #3
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Looks are important. Most speakers look nice, if not unobtrusive these days.

  4. #4
    Da Dragonball Kid L.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Posted in da cut
    Posts
    3,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    I was wondering how everyone else deals (or not) with this situation. Do you have support from her/him. I'm sure we all have stories to tell or frustration to get out.
    Hmm.....I think I got it pretty good. No matter what I'm doing or draggin into the house, wifee doesn't mind. She always says "do whatever you want" (in a good way of course).

    Sometimes she thinks I'm crazy but I think she's starting to catch on. You should hear her cheerfully explain to guests what our acoustic panels are and what they're used for.

    Last weekend I was playing some test tones and had the SPL meter out. Wifee was in and out of the house most of the day. Anyways, the phone rings and she says "what are you doing watching a movie", I said no. Then she said "O, are you still calibrating"

    She also keeps the cabinet stocked with popcorn and jumbo sized candy for movie watching. Yep, (LJ pops his collar) I think I got it pretty good.

  5. #5
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    No prob here

    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Not sure if theres been a thread on this in the past.

    I have slowly been upgrading my system lately and have full support for my better half even though she admits she would be happy with a AM radio. I guess a have a good one in my life. Having said that, she says she does appreciate the better sound coming from the speakers and doesn't give me any flack about this.

    I was wondering how everyone else deals (or not) with this situation. Do you have support from her/him. I'm sure we all have stories to tell or frustration to get out.
    My wife is very accepting if not actually understanding. Despite the fact that my main system is in the living room, she doesn't give me any rules about the appearance of equipment. She does roll her eyes when I say I'm swapping some piece of equipment, but doesn't give me any grief.

    My wife has little interest in music and much less in hi-fi, but she doesn't mind me listening to what I like at volumes that are reasonable to the time of day.
    Last edited by Feanor; 03-21-2007 at 10:46 AM.

  6. #6
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    below the noise floor
    Posts
    3,636
    When I was still married, my wife was wonderful -- I can count on one hand the times that she asked me to shut off the stereo, or contradicted a decision I made (and admittedly, I can understand not wanting to listen to Ministry's Land of Rape and Honey on Sunday right after church...with a headache...).

    Since we split up (I'm still friends with her), she has gotten a lot pickier about appearances, and tries to hide her speakers, and is currently looking forward to the wireless revolution. I, on the other hand, have discovered audiophilia, what with its speaker stands and breathing room for the equipment and whatnot -- she'd hate what I'd want to do now.

    That said, look at westcott -- there are obviously compromises that can be made that will satisfy both parties. I fully believe it can be done with a little effort.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

  7. #7
    Suspended PeruvianSkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,373

    Make them love it too...

    My wife is a rare breed. She actually appreciates the stuff that we have accumulated, but I also try to invest in her with it as well. So basically when I spend our money towards something new I usually have to 'sell' her on the idea as to why we bought it and it usually goes over quite well. First, tell her the news when she is already in a good mood. Second, tell her how SHE will benefit from it, which might take some creativity. Third, make sure that you spend quality time with her AND the new stuff, equally.

    I think that most wives are typically concerned about the 'looks' of stuff, which is why I am glad that all of our audio/video gear is located in one isolated room and that's the only purpose of the room. I give her the rest of the house, the media room is all mine. Fair enough to me. Other's might have to compromise, so I think it's important to negotiate at times for the appearance factor.

  8. #8
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    At first, my wife had no interest in better sound. Sure, she likes music but would be happy with our alarm clock radio. I made deals with her. We put in quartz counter tops, and I spent an equal amount on my systems. Once she got a look of that 106" screen and heard sound from a decent system she became interested. But she has kind of settled in on the, "We already have nice speakers, etc" type of talk. I think she likes them more than she'll let on. Now I have a new deal with her. As she spends money, I put an equal amount into my upgrade fund. My time will come. Some day, I will have the speakers I want as well as separates instead of a receiver for the main system.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  9. #9
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717
    WAF can be used to your advantage. For example, when we replaced all of our bedroom furniture, my wife told me there was no way my beloved Missions, hulking black monoliths that they are, would stay. They don't match the cherry furniture!

    Well...darn.

    Time to upgrade! Out went the Missions, in came VR1's in very wife friendly African Hazelwood that just happened to match the graining of the armoire perfectly. We both got what we wanted. Simple.

  10. #10
    Da Dragonball Kid L.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Posted in da cut
    Posts
    3,577
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Now I have a new deal with her. As she spends money, I put an equal amount into my upgrade fund. My time will come. Some day, I will have the speakers I want as well as separates instead of a receiver for the main system.
    Ah yes, the deal. You better believe that after I drop some major $$$ on some gear, wifee has a little shopping spree of her own.

  11. #11
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Ah yes, the deal. You better believe that after I drop some major $$$ on some gear, wifee has a little shopping spree of her own.
    What deal is this?!? No one told me!!!

    Geez, at any given moment, my wife is walkin' around with enough ice on her to buy Flo's Grands. What the hell?!?

    I'm goin' shoppin' dammit!

  12. #12
    Do What? jrhymeammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    . She said and I quote "pyramids are for Egypt, not the living room".
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!

    JRA

  13. #13
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    below the noise floor
    Posts
    3,636
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    ...VR1's in very wife friendly African Hazelwood that just happened to match the graining of the armoire perfectly.
    I love when that happens. I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of it, if you got any.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

  14. #14
    Sgt. At Arms Worf101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Troy, New York
    Posts
    4,288

    Yeah...

    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!

    JRA
    I can laugh about it now (kinda) but I wasn't laughin' then. Actually since I only run 'orphan" brands of speakers (Ohms, Epicures, Allison) the Platinum Audios fit in rather nicely and combined with my Hsu VTF-12 sub, it sounds marvelous. Not "high end" but better than Bose.

    Da Worfster

  15. #15
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    What deal is this?!? No one told me!!!

    Geez, at any given moment, my wife is walkin' around with enough ice on her to buy Flo's Grands. What the hell?!?

    I'm goin' shoppin' dammit!
    Bought wifey a new washer & drier last January. But they weren't just your run of the mill type. Wild chery red front loaders with every bell & whistle you could think of. They even have a dry-cleaning setting. Those mini's are as good as bought.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  16. #16
    Mutant from table 9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,205
    I'm definately in the "looks are just as important" group. If you can make a great sounding speaker that cannot fit in a typical listening room, either because of size or looks, then you have failed at staying within consumer parameters. Yes, you might be in the "high end", but that is not "consumer." That is IMNSHO why panel speakers never really took off (comparitively). Not many people will tolerate a screen door in their living room. Of course some people think that anything more visable than a Bose Lifestyle is equally offensive.

    OTOH, people eat up big giant TV screens, but that only took off when they began when they became big and thin.
    ______________________
    Joyce Summers: "You've got really great albums!"
    Rupert "Ripper" Giles: "Yeah... they're okay..."


    "Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

    "I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

  17. #17
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    OTOH, people eat up big giant TV screens, but that only took off when they began when they became big and thin.
    That's a really good point, Slumpy. Isn't it interesting that large screen tv's, which have been around for decades, really never gained wide ranging acceptance until they went on the Atkins diet? Conversely, while size is certainly a factor with panel speakers (never heard them described as "screen doors" before, but I like it ), I think the biggest problem is their need to be well into the room. It's one thing to have a thin, tall speaker. It's quite another to place it 3 or 4 feet off the back wall.

  18. #18
    Demoted to Low-Fi Carl Reid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    That's a really good point, Slumpy. Isn't it interesting that large screen tv's, which have been around for decades, really never gained wide ranging acceptance until they went on the Atkins diet? Conversely, while size is certainly a factor with panel speakers (never heard them described as "screen doors" before, but I like it ), I think the biggest problem is their need to be well into the room. It's one thing to have a thin, tall speaker. It's quite another to place it 3 or 4 feet off the back wall.
    I agree with Both you and Slumpy on this one, though I will add:

    1) I have also heard Panels described as screen doors before... It's what they look like.
    2) They are a totally pain to position both for acoustic reasons and visual impact... unless you have a LARGE dedicated listening room...
    3) Based on my (admitedly limited) experience with Magnepans so far, I'd say that they are in no way the best choice for a lot of modern 'synthized digital' music... If you listen to lots of live recordings of orchestras etc... then Panels may be amazing... but I question their ability to handle modern pop and rock... and that will remain a severe limiting factor in their ability to become mainstream...

    Now, if Panel manufacturers could figure out how to Jam panels up on the wall beside a 50 inch LCD/Plasma tv, then I suspect they would quite possibly be able to dominate the speaker market... But 3 - 4 feet from the wall just ain't gonna cut it...

  19. #19
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Reid
    Now, if Panel manufacturers could figure out how to Jam panels up on the wall beside a 50 inch LCD/Plasma tv, then I suspect they would quite possibly be able to dominate the speaker market... But 3 - 4 feet from the wall just ain't gonna cut it...
    Um, like this?



    B&W FPM's

  20. #20
    Demoted to Low-Fi Carl Reid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    285

    Yep...

    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Um, like this?



    B&W FPM's

    Exactly like that... though I should have added on one thing.... they need to sound as good as the panels that are placed 3-4 feet from the walls....

  21. #21
    Mutant from table 9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Um, like this?



    B&W FPM's
    In understand that this is the new fashion, but it still reminds me of a stereo Nooni and Nuni might have.

    ______________________
    Joyce Summers: "You've got really great albums!"
    Rupert "Ripper" Giles: "Yeah... they're okay..."


    "Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

    "I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

  22. #22
    Demoted to Low-Fi Carl Reid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    In understand that this is the new fashion, but it still reminds me of a stereo Nooni and Nuni might have.

    Hey... I never claimed it was a good idea... lol

    Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead with such a setup (unless it cost me less than a Panasonic Mini-System)... BUT I think it will have great appeal for HT in a box lovers and have massive WAF...

  23. #23
    Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake Beach MD
    Posts
    212
    ^Bwahaa!

    Uh, Wife 1.0 and children meant numbers approaching zero for stereo system upgrades. In fact as the speakers started 'popping' and cutting out i [no j/k here] wept as i contemplated the future without audio.

    Enter Wife2.0 who meets a guy living in an apartment eating beanieweenie but with a new mountain bike, guitar, and stereo stuff. She says, 'well, i knew what i was getting into...'

    Woot! New speakers for Christmas! 'Just go pick them out. i trust you.'

    Reciever dumps. 'just go get a new one. We'll worry about it later'

    I do love her!
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •