Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Milano, Italia
    Posts
    144

    Thumbs down Uhm... (help... once more...)

    Today I know that I will be father for the second time...
    Gone are the dreams of Monitor Audios and the digital Onkyo... I'm very regretfull.

    I'm must cut on all things so I must economize on the Hi-Fi system too. What do you think of this:

    Onkyo 9155
    Wharfedale: DIAMOND 9.1
    Van Den Hul: The SNOWLINE (5 mt, bi-wired since Onkyos get better with this)

    395 euros

    The alternatives are active minimonitors like the M-AUDIO Studiophile AV40 for just 140 euros.

    What do you think? I know that I have been anxious in these days... (and you know where the anxiety came from! ) but hey help this man once more to not do the BAD choice.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    What a struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuro
    Today I know that I will be father for the second time...
    Gone are the dreams of Monitor Audios and the digital Onkyo... I'm very regretfull.

    I'm must cut on all things so I must economize on the Hi-Fi system too. What do you think of this:

    Onkyo 9155
    Wharfedale: DIAMOND 9.1
    Van Den Hul: The SNOWLINE (5 mt, bi-wired since Onkyos get better with this)

    395 euros

    The alternatives are active minimonitors like the M-AUDIO Studiophile AV40 for just 140 euros.

    What do you think? I know that I have been anxious in these days... (and you know where the anxiety came from! ) but hey help this man once more to not do the BAD choice.

    Thanks
    Looks like you're having some issues: bear in mind that no one ought to go seriously in hawk for hi-fi equipment.

    I presume you realized that the AV40 are self-powered, that is, with internal amplfiers, so that they don't need a power amp. They can be driven by directly by a preamplifier or multi-channel processor. Also, the AV40 are described as "desktop" speakers and unless you want to use them that way, might not be appropriate for you needs.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    6,307
    Congratulations on the good news about fatherhood. Once you have them raised you can have the stereo of your dreams. Good luck.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

  4. #4
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Milano, Italia
    Posts
    144
    Thanks for the congratulations.

    In fact I've be thinking on purchasing those speakers and wait 3-4 months for the big system instead of buying the little system. If I buy directly the latter I think I will have wait more (years?) in the purchasing of the big system (I could put away the little speakers, but putting away 400 euros of components it's more 'difficult').

  5. #5
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    I'd save on, not that this will be a bad system, but it's not what you wanted. If you already have some speakers, you could get the amp already, use it with your current speakers, and later on buy better ones...


    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  6. #6
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Milano, Italia
    Posts
    144
    I've tested mine beloved Tannoys F2 on a Denon receiver, they sound very bright and I sensed some noise, perhaps it's the receiver... anyway I think I will do what you said. I will buy the digital Onkyo and think on changing the speakers later.
    Is it sure that eventually damaged speakers cannot damage the amplifiers?

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    6,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuro
    I've tested mine beloved Tannoys F2 on a Denon receiver, they sound very bright and I sensed some noise, perhaps it's the receiver... anyway I think I will do what you said. I will buy the digital Onkyo and think on changing the speakers later.
    Is it sure that eventually damaged speakers cannot damage the amplifiers?

    Thanks

    Can you describe the noise coming from the speakers. The Onkyo is smooth and it would not make your speakers sound bright. One thing I noticed with my NHT SuperOnes is the drivers would loosen from the vibrations. They sounded better after being tightened. You might want to tighten all the mounting screws for the drivers. I also think some speaker cables can make a system sound bright. What cables are you using?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

  8. #8
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuro
    Is it sure that eventually damaged speakers cannot damage the amplifiers?

    Thanks
    Unless one of the voice coils is partly melted and the impedance has changed (very unlikely as you would surely hear it), your speakers shouldn't do any harm to your amp.
    Ciao a tutti!

  9. #9
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Milano, Italia
    Posts
    144
    It's not very audible but it's like a bssst like when the radio is not syntonized (but at a very low volume).

    Today I use these: http://www.vandenhul.com/p_C21.aspx
    For the Onkyo I wanna buy these: http://www.vandenhul.com/p_C23.aspx

    x audio: Don't think it's 'melted' maybe there is some noise but the sound seems good. Thanks.

  10. #10
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuro
    x audio: Don't think it's 'melted' maybe there is some noise but the sound seems good. Thanks.

    Please. I'm not a porn star..

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •