Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025

    Question Two Types of Audiophiles? Which one are you?

    I've always found the audiphile community to be the most friendly and helpful of any on-line. You have a question, their only too happy to answer it.
    Over the last few days I've had a minor revelation of sorts I thought I'd share.

    It seems to me there's two types of Audiophiles out there:

    1) The Audiophile with money burning a hole in their pocket - These Audiophiles have to have the latest and greatest gear as fast as they can get their hands on it. 5.1 HT systems are "last-week" to this crowd as they're operating with at least 6 speakers and probably more. These Audiophiles happily turn down clearance priced speakers and spend a bit more money on Version X hoping to reap the rewards of updated drivers. This Audiophile keeps up to date with bleeding edge technology.

    2) The Audiophile with money burning a hole in their pocket - Except these Audiophiles spend their time sifting the internet, pawn shops, classifieds, used equipment sections of stores, etc for some legends of yesterday. New equipment for this crowd is at least 2 or 3 years old, in great shape, purchased from the Type 1 Audiophile.

    I suppose you could throw in a type 3, which would be a mix of both. I suppose I fall into this line. I want to be Type 1, but I usually can't afford it or the lady of the house won't let me, hence I compromise.

    I'd like to know which type frequents these forums more. Which Type are you? Are there other types I've overlooked?

  2. #2
    My custom user title This Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    759
    I believe I'm a type 2. Almost all my equipment was refurbished except my dvd player, but I got that player from Ubid for $100 including shipping. I bought a new receievr almost a year ago, I could have bought one with DTS-ES and DD-EX, but I bought a Marantz that was a year old and could matrix the rear channels, $300 was a terriffic buy. The biggest bargain was a refurbished Audiosource Amp Three that I got for just over $200 on Ubid. It's a shame Ubid isn't the same anymore. Interesting post Kexodusc.

    -Joey

  3. #3
    -cc
    -cc is offline
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2
    I guess I'm a type 2 or maybe a 2.8. I'm a great believer in last week's technology. There has been time to have it generally evaluated by Type 1. I can't afford to try everything, so I'll take the hard-won advice of the early adopters.

    Or maybe I'm something else entirely, maybe I want good sounding equipment, but I don't care when it was made. I'd be running a Marantz 2270, except I won't give up the remote control.

    -cc

  4. #4
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    69
    I note that both definitions include "burning a hole in their pocket." You apparently do not allow for audiophiles that see no particular need to spend lots of money. Since money does not burn holes in my pockets, I guess I don't qualify as an audiophile.
    Norm Strong [normanstrong@comcast.net]

  5. #5
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    436
    There needs to be a type 0
    I think most people fit this one:

    Type 0: Wants the best stuff old or new...BUT NO MONEY TO GET IT OR WIFE WONT LET THEM!

    I'm no audiophile, but definately this HAS to be one of the options

  6. #6
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm Strong
    I note that both definitions include "burning a hole in their pocket." You apparently do not allow for audiophiles that see no particular need to spend lots of money. Since money does not burn holes in my pockets, I guess I don't qualify as an audiophile.
    On the contrary Norm...it was my humble attempt at providing humour, I speak only as a person that probably spends a great deal of his disposable income on audio equipment and sources to play on it (sometimes more than I should),.please ignore that point, it wasn't meant to be offensive.

    Nonetheless, if I were to get really technical, at some point money does come into play and you do decided to spend this discretionary amount on audio equipment. For that bried period of time "money is burning a hole in your pocket" so to speak. I was just curious whether people here spend it on new or used equipment.

    Myself, I enjoy finding a "diamond in the rough" that is grossly underpriced. I suspect a few others that frequent these forums do the same. At the same time, every few years, I decide my Home Theatre needs an overhaul, and I try to get all the latest goodies available within my budget. If the re-sale prices aren't as low as I'd hope for, I will purchase new.

    My home theater system is about 80% "original owner" with the exception of a great deal I got on some Studio 40's.
    My studio room is 100% used equipment.

    How about you Norm?

  7. #7
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    There needs to be a type 0
    I think most people fit this one:

    Type 0: Wants the best stuff old or new...BUT NO MONEY TO GET IT OR WIFE WONT LET THEM!

    I'm no audiophile, but definately this HAS to be one of the options
    Good point....audiophile/enthusiast or whatever moniker you prefer, I think we all fall under this "Type 0" category too.
    I'd be enjoying my Bryston amplifier and some fancy European speakers if I were rich. But I'm not
    Personally, I think shopping under budget restrictions and coming home with something you enjoy is part of the fun.

  8. #8
    Sgt. At Arms Worf101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Troy, New York
    Posts
    4,288

    Red face I'm type 2A

    I like good "interesting" gear but my days of "money burning a hole" in my pocket were over when the kid moved in. I buy good used gear and some new when technology demands it. But other than that... I don't consider myself an audiophile. Audio enthusiast yes... speaker fetishtist yes....

    Anymore than that I cannot say...

    The Worfster

  9. #9
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    CC, TX
    Posts
    75

    Audio File

    I'm probably any type:

    I use my father's old reciever and amplifier from the 70's and 80's, as I like the 'vintage' sound and saves me some money... mixed with speakers made in the 90's which were top of the line at the time that I've wanted since I was a kid over 10 years ago (finally had the money to buy them recently). Who can resist a Dolby Digital receiver for HT nowadays? I bought one as an open box item with all the nice surround processing features (only Sony had the ones I wanted). I like Apex DVD players cause they're cheap and play almost anything... Ohhh, yeah I still use a Pro-Logic receiver as an "amp" for my somewhat cheap surrounds.

    I'd say the SVS sub really burned a hole in my bank account... and I worked damn hard for the money to get it

    I wonder what I'm going to do with all this "stuff" down the road.... ???

  10. #10
    DMK
    DMK is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    332

    I'm Type X

    That's the type that has found the equipment that he wants to go the distance with and, save for an updated phono cartridge, has purchased no "upgrades" in gear over the last several years. Type X takes the money he used to spend on audio gear and, together with the money he already spent on software, spends it on yet more records and CD's. The tiny improvement in performance I used to get with gear upgrades has become the HUGE rush of scoring an original 1960's Blue Note LP or that out of print CD that I've been searching for.

    I am at least 98% more satisfied with my audio life now than I was when I was concerning myself with the latest amp or CD player. I am considering a better tonearm but I've lived happily with what I have for so long now, I'm not sure it's worth it.

  11. #11
    Forum Regular Chuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I've always found the audiphile community to be the most friendly and helpful of any on-line. You have a question, their only too happy to answer it.
    Over the last few days I've had a minor revelation of sorts I thought I'd share.

    It seems to me there's two types of Audiophiles out there:

    1) The Audiophile with money burning a hole in their pocket - These Audiophiles have to have the latest and greatest gear as fast as they can get their hands on it. 5.1 HT systems are "last-week" to this crowd as they're operating with at least 6 speakers and probably more. These Audiophiles happily turn down clearance priced speakers and spend a bit more money on Version X hoping to reap the rewards of updated drivers. This Audiophile keeps up to date with bleeding edge technology.

    2) The Audiophile with money burning a hole in their pocket - Except these Audiophiles spend their time sifting the internet, pawn shops, classifieds, used equipment sections of stores, etc for some legends of yesterday. New equipment for this crowd is at least 2 or 3 years old, in great shape, purchased from the Type 1 Audiophile.

    I suppose you could throw in a type 3, which would be a mix of both. I suppose I fall into this line. I want to be Type 1, but I usually can't afford it or the lady of the house won't let me, hence I compromise.

    I'd like to know which type frequents these forums more. Which Type are you? Are there other types I've overlooked?
    LOL. Audiophiles can be divided into two groups. Those who think your two groups miss them entirely, and those who think they fall into one of your two groups. Did I miss anyone?

    Seriously, I have no problems with money burning holes in any of my pockets, so that leaves me out. Anyone who does is welcome to PM me if they need help spending their excess. Itís always more fun to spend OPM.

  12. #12
    What, me worry? piece-it pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Cleveland Ohio
    Posts
    717

    Great thread!!

    Type two - with this asterik: the amount burning a hole is far smaller than a lot of other people (see SO ) .

    I love finding a great deal, and some of my system came out of thrift/resale shops (hafler pre, sansui tuner, and bedroom; university speaker, kyocera rec'r), some used from audiogon/friends/ebay (hsu subs, dq-10s', phillips DVD), and some from the curb (marantz 1152dc, hk 630 for subs, dual 604 tt). Believe it or not the Marantz was in EC in the original box w/ packing & manual!! It helps when your brother-in-law is a "sanitary engineer".

    The only equipment I have in my current system that I purchased new is my cheapie sharp tv, marchand crossover (only the min. components needed), and the 1983 sears cd player in the bedroom. I have of course bought interconnects & such.

    Honestly I can't wait to become more like a "real" type two, simply 'cause I'd like very good speakers, someday after all the sacrifice for a house is done!

    Pete

    PS hey Norm, how am I doing ?
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Abraham Lincoln

  13. #13
    Forum Regular gonefishin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Joliet, Ill.
    Posts
    342
    How about a type three.

    * An audiophile who has to save money for months, for what he wants to buy or build...while budgeting most of his money to those truly important things in life that are non-audio


    but I sure do like my hobby tho.

    one piece of advice that has worked for me in several of my hobbies...no matter if it were audio, fishin, golf or whatever. Cancel all your magazine subscriptions. Each time I've done this, I have gotten more enjoyment out of all of my hobbies...not to mention I've gotten better results too!


    take care>>>>>>>>>
    __________________
    I found the spoon
    __________________


    enjoy the music!

  14. #14
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717

    none of the above

    I guess I'm a bit of an oddball here in that while I enjoy this hobby and the interaction on the board, I don't have a burning desire to continuously upgrade my rig. I agree that most "audiophiles" do enjoy tweaking their sound in the endless pursuit of absolute fidelity, but alas I am not one of them. I consider these people to be "gear geeks"; people more interested in the source than the music. Guess that's why I never claim to be an "audiophile."

    My belief is to do as much research as possible, work your ass off so you can afford whatever you want without collapsing your bank account and/or your marriage and buy the best from the get go. Audio advancements are not like computers where you are outdated every model year. Good sound is good sound.

  15. #15
    Forum Regular thepogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Hayes, Va
    Posts
    490

    (stands up) "Hello my name is Pogue....I'm a ebayholic...

    I'll do ANYTHING fer a deal....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

  16. #16
    Forum Regular Chuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    79

    HEAR! HEAR! Count me in!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by DMK
    That's the type that has found the equipment that he wants to go the distance with and, save for an updated phono cartridge, has purchased no "upgrades" in gear over the last several years. Type X takes the money he used to spend on audio gear and, together with the money he already spent on software, spends it on yet more records and CD's. The tiny improvement in performance I used to get with gear upgrades has become the HUGE rush of scoring an original 1960's Blue Note LP or that out of print CD that I've been searching for.

    I am at least 98% more satisfied with my audio life now than I was when I was concerning myself with the latest amp or CD player. I am considering a better tonearm but I've lived happily with what I have for so long now, I'm not sure it's worth it.
    DMK, you can count me as one of this group as well. Thanks for defining it so well. I have to wonder if being satisfied precludes one from the audiophile ranks. Perhaps you have to have money burning a hole in your pocket combined with an inability to find lasting satisfaction before you're a real audiophile.

  17. #17
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    583
    I have to agree with Gone Fishin! Not much money in my pocket. However, all good things come to those who wait. I just seem to wait more than most, $H!T!
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

  18. #18
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    162

    Food for thought

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    I have to wonder if being satisfied precludes one from the audiophile ranks. Perhaps you have to have money burning a hole in your pocket combined with an inability to find lasting satisfaction before you're a real audiophile.
    Good point. The genus "Audiophilus Typicalus" is never truly satisfied with what they own. Or maybe it's just that they love to play around with gear and that's not different from people that collect model trains or cars. If I were being 100% truthful, I'd add a couple of things:

    1) I'm an impulse buyer when it comes to CD's and LP's. If I'm out running around and I happen by my favorite shop, I may on a whim decide to stop in where I might drop $200 in 20 minutes. Consequently, I can't afford to be an audiophile! My kids have learned to tolerate dad's quirks IF I buy them each a new CD.

    2) If someone offered to trade me a few hundred original Riverside, Blue Note, New Jazz, etc LP's for my equipment, I'd probably do it. That makes me a poor excuse for an audiophile. Yet, I do appreciate good sound. It's just that I've convinced myself that it doesn't get much better than what I already own, be that a true or false statement in acuality.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Where are all the audiophiles?
    By topspeed in forum General Audio
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 12:45 PM
  2. How is gay marriage a right?
    By piece-it pete in forum Off Topic/Non Audio
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 12:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •