Thread: CD Quality

Forum Regular

CD Quality

I have just bought a new CD player (Arcam CD73) and now when listening to CDs I am very critical. I can tell if they sound good or bad about 20 seconds into the song. I am finding that some of the CDs I used to listen to and thought weren't bad now are. The ones I now find to be good are very much better than they were before. As a matter of fact I can't believe how beautiful they sound. It's the bad ones I wish I didn't own now.

What I want to know is if this is a personal perception or is this a common thing to have happen when finally getting a decent CD player?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lindhorst
    I have just bought a new CD player (Arcam CD73) and now when listening to CDs I am very critical. I can tell if they sound good or bad about 20 seconds into the song. I am finding that some of the CDs I used to listen to and thought weren't bad now are. The ones I now find to be good are very much better than they were before. As a matter of fact I can't believe how beautiful they sound. It's the bad ones I wish I didn't own now.

What I want to know is if this is a personal perception or is this a common thing to have happen when finally getting a decent CD player?

Yes, it's common. More revealing equipment, be ti players or speakers (usually speakers), will reveal the recording for what it is: crap or astonishing.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Talking Welcome to the higher rez world!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lindhorst

It's not only common, it's expected. Your CD player will get about 95% of what's on the CD to your ears now. Good or bad it's all there for you to hear. Oh, if you want that last 5% be prepared to shell out a lot more cash.

Ps.

Nice CD player!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

get some good headphones and you will be even more impressed and frustrated by the quality of recordings/formats!
    Borders
    Language
    Culture

New CD player

One can hope that the CD's that sound awful will be a lttle less so when you get a few more hours on your player. In my expereience the biggest change with most equipment break-in is a reduction in harshness.

Of course you still can't make silk purses out of sows' ears. But the good news is that if there is some break-in, those good CDs will sound a little beter yet.

Most equipment seems to enter the end of break-in between 40 and 100 hours of use.

By the way congratulations on catching the audiophile flu, may it leave a some part of your bank account intact.

Thread Information