Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Feanor
  • 1 Post By Mr Peabody

Thread: TheKid's system takes off........ Hughes AK-100

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

TheKid's system takes off........ Hughes AK-100

Another CL find!
    A somewhat rare or at least unusual find.
    To the best of my knowledge the only piece of audio gear produced by Hughes Aircraft. Have only had it set-up for a day or so but really like what it adds to the sound.

An Ear-Boggling Development : Electronics: Hughes Aircraft is coming out with a component that gives the illusion of hearing recorded sound in three dimensions. - latimes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TheKid's system takes off........ Hughes AK-100-img_1330-2-.jpg  
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    Another CL find!
    A somewhat rare or at least unusual find.
    To the best of my knowledge the only piece of audio gear produced by Hughes Aircraft. Have only had it set-up for a day or so but really like what it adds to the sound.

An Ear-Boggling Development : Electronics: Hughes Aircraft is coming out with a component that gives the illusion of hearing recorded sound in three dimensions. - latimes
    Humm ... 1991, I suppose the AK-100 is an analog device rather than digital? Sadly for Hughes it looks like there were no further consumer audio projects.

The AK-100 brings to mind Carver's 'Sonic Hologram Generator'. I'll admit I always was and am skeptical of these "enhancement" devices but I can see it might be fun in a secondary system.

It's often compared to the Carver piece from what I have read. I have only had it hooked up for a couple of days but it's pretty cool. It's not something I will use for all recordings but for some Acoustic and Jazz music it really works.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Charm Thai™
    Wow that's a really nice piece. I've never heard of Hughes before. Like Feanor said it should be fun to dabble around with.

Suspended
    I had all but forgotten about that project. Madonna's, Vogue, was recorded with that Hughes effect. It still may be used in recording, not sure. Definitely would be a nice piece for the collection.
    thekid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    Wow that's a really nice piece. I've never heard of Hughes before. Like Feanor said it should be fun to dabble around with.
    I have spent a little more time with it and it's a keeper for sure. Not something to be used on music and recordings but it's easy enough to turn the the SRS effect on and off when you want. I do like how it adds to the music when I listen to my local classical radio station.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Nice! I'd imagine it's kind of like a precursor to the random surround affects bundled with a lot of avr's like "hall" or "concert." If it make listening to music more fun, then more power to ya!

Thread Information