• 04-01-2016, 04:14 PM
    thekid
    1 Attachment(s)
    TheKid's system takes off........ Hughes AK-100
    Another CL find!
    A somewhat rare or at least unusual find.
    To the best of my knowledge the only piece of audio gear produced by Hughes Aircraft. Have only had it set-up for a day or so but really like what it adds to the sound.

An Ear-Boggling Development : Electronics: Hughes Aircraft is coming out with a component that gives the illusion of hearing recorded sound in three dimensions. - latimes
  • 04-02-2016, 04:41 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    Another CL find!
    A somewhat rare or at least unusual find.
    To the best of my knowledge the only piece of audio gear produced by Hughes Aircraft. Have only had it set-up for a day or so but really like what it adds to the sound.

An Ear-Boggling Development : Electronics: Hughes Aircraft is coming out with a component that gives the illusion of hearing recorded sound in three dimensions. - latimes

Humm ... 1991, I suppose the AK-100 is an analog device rather than digital? Sadly for Hughes it looks like there were no further consumer audio projects.

The AK-100 brings to mind Carver's 'Sonic Hologram Generator'. I'll admit I always was and am skeptical of these "enhancement" devices but I can see it might be fun in a secondary system.

http://www.hifiengine.com/images/mod..._generator.jpg
  • 04-02-2016, 10:19 AM
    thekid
    It's often compared to the Carver piece from what I have read. I have only had it hooked up for a couple of days but it's pretty cool. It's not something I will use for all recordings but for some Acoustic and Jazz music it really works.
  • 04-02-2016, 10:25 AM
    TheHills44060
    Wow that's a really nice piece. I've never heard of Hughes before. Like Feanor said it should be fun to dabble around with.
  • 04-04-2016, 07:26 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I had all but forgotten about that project. Madonna's, Vogue, was recorded with that Hughes effect. It still may be used in recording, not sure. Definitely would be a nice piece for the collection.
  • 04-05-2016, 01:22 AM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    Wow that's a really nice piece. I've never heard of Hughes before. Like Feanor said it should be fun to dabble around with.

I have spent a little more time with it and it's a keeper for sure. Not something to be used on music and recordings but it's easy enough to turn the the SRS effect on and off when you want. I do like how it adds to the music when I listen to my local classical radio station.
  • 04-05-2016, 09:02 AM
    topspeed
    Nice! I'd imagine it's kind of like a precursor to the random surround affects bundled with a lot of avr's like "hall" or "concert." If it make listening to music more fun, then more power to ya!