Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Suspended

Suggestions for AV furnature

Getting ready to redo the living room soon and need to retire my long outdated and too small av rack.

I'm looking for something to hold lots of gear since i run a 2ch and ht setup together. I want something solid, good looking and under $1500. I don't want glass shelves. It's unbelievable how many MFGs use glass in their construction as it's the worst product for audio equipment.

What I have been looking at are the following but I am not opposed to someone building me something to my specs.

Lovan (various models) not the best WAF factor but built nice.

Sanus

Possibly something by Salamander also.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Chicago IL
    Personally I like the first one by Lovan. Very nice looking

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    Personally I like the first one by Lovan. Very nice looking
    Yeah, gear should not be encased in cabinets for heat issues. If I get the wife to approve, I'm leaning that way.

Forum Regular
    I also like the Lovan units

Chicago IL
    Not just for overheating issues, I just like when they are exposed so you can see them.

Suspended
    Here is what I need to replace, not sure why it won't display right

Here are some very good racks. I own a glass rack (RGR series) but they do have others with mdf. Personally I have not found any problem with my glass rack. If your worried about resonance, put some sorbothane feet under your gear. I think the problems with glass are over rated.

http://www.vtimanufacturing.com/Audi...V%20stands.htm
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Here are some very good racks. I own a glass rack (RGR series) but they do have others with mdf. Personally I have not found any problem with my glass rack. If your worried about resonance, put some sorbothane feet under your gear. I think the problems with glass are over rated.

http://www.vtimanufacturing.com/Audi...V%20stands.htm
    Thanks Blacky. I did find that site last night.

I am not as concerned about the gear on glass as I am with how glass sucks up bass. Maybe I would be ok but I'm still leery.

Charm Thai™
    I was a bit hesitant to go glass as well but quality glass shelves can look sooooo good. To quell my fears i made little pads to stick under the equipment feet but whether or not that had any audible affects I couldn't tell ya.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by shodulik
    I was a bit hesitant to go glass as well but quality glass shelves can look sooooo good. To quell my fears i made little pads to stick under the equipment feet but whether or not that had any audible affects I couldn't tell ya.
    I use sorbothane pads under all my gear anyway so I have that covered. Almost all the VTI racks have the rear leg in the middle of the shelf so my large amps would not fit and allow proper wiring with that type of leg. Even with the Lovan, I will need to remove the cable management pc from the bottom shelf, If I can actually fit my Counterpoint or Stratos between the 19.25 width limit. I think it gives me an 1/8 leeway.

What I do like about both the Lovan and VTI is that I can keep stacking shelves, I missed that when first looking at them.

Hyfi, I have 6 shelf RGR rack. I have my Parasound amp on the top shelf. You have 21" from front to back on the middle shelfs. And there is 23 3/4" width on the middle shelfs. The glass sits on steel pegs with rubber O rings around the Pegs. The back panel has 2 large holes at each shelf position for cable management..
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Hyfi, I have 6 shelf RGR rack. I have my Parasound amp on the top shelf. You have 21" from front to back on the middle shelfs. And there is 23 3/4" width on the middle shelfs. The glass sits on steel pegs with rubber O rings around the Pegs. The back panel has 2 large holes at each shelf position for cable management..
    Thanks for that info, I actually like the BL series for the wood. Do you think they have the same dimensions? Their site only gives overall dimensions and no real documentation.

Hyfi, I called VTI for the dimensions when I bought mine. I have 2 large amps. My 55# Adcom AVR and my 60# Parasound. Give them a call.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Cool

I love my lovan gear, had two racks that I got on sale for a rediculous price.
    I THOUGHT THE "waf" be high, as they are quite good looking.
    Only thing about the Lovan, hard to move once its set up, since its a series of stackable units.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    I love my lovan gear, had two racks that I got on sale for a rediculous price.
    I THOUGHT THE "waf" be high, as they are quite good looking.
    Only thing about the Lovan, hard to move once its set up, since its a series of stackable units.
    If I go that rout, they will be harder to move after filling them with sand or shot. I'm leaning towards the Lovan or VTI because I can add more as needed.

Thanks for the input.

Suspended

Pulled the trigger

I placed my order yesterday and it already shipped.

First let me say that Racks&Stands.com is a great place to do business with. Although their website and option configuration was not available to choose what I wanted, they worked with their Marketing group and VTI to assure me that what I wanted was what I would get even though the quote showed it differently. The also gave me fantastic pricing for the whole package and even kept the price the same on the audio rack because I wanted the 13" - 9" - 7" version of the BL-404 as opposed to a 9" and 2 7" spaced shelves. I could not get pricing within $150 of this package.

What I ended up ordering was a VTI BL-404-13 with Silver frame, Cherry shelves, and Gold caps and feet (that was the main sticking point with my order as it seems nobody ever ordered this color configuration but VTI told me it was not a problem) and an extra 7" shelf. And, a BL-503 with an extra 7"shelf.

I ordered it all by phone yesterday at 2:30 in the afternoon and it already shipped last night Fed-Ex from Cali to be here Saturday......oh and it was all free shipping too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    I placed my order yesterday and it already shipped.

First let me say that Racks&Stands.com is a great place to do business with. ....

That's great stuff, Hyfi. I'm envious.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    That's great stuff, Hyfi. I'm envious.
    Hey Feanor, thanks. I have wanted to do this for ages but for financial reasons never did. When the banker says go ahead, I didn't hesitate.

I will post pics when assembled and in place.

Welp....

Based upon my EXPERIENCE (oohhh I love when I can say dat) Salamander or Sanus are the way to go. Expensive and you have to put it together but you can get EXACTLY what you want, you can make it as plain or as fancy as you want and you get to put it together right and tight. I've a pre-made thingy in my living room which I regret buying but I couldn't afford another Salamander rig and the new screen and the new Onkyo totl receiver.

Worf

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Based upon my EXPERIENCE (oohhh I love when I can say dat) Salamander or Sanus are the way to go. Expensive and you have to put it together but you can get EXACTLY what you want, you can make it as plain or as fancy as you want and you get to put it together right and tight. I've a pre-made thingy in my living room which I regret buying but I couldn't afford another Salamander rig and the new screen and the new Onkyo totl receiver.

Worf
    I looked at their stuff and it is too pricey for what it is. I don't want doors, threaded rods, and such. With any of their racks that use the extruded tubing, it's Item or Bosch, I would be able to tell if I could touch it.

I like the sand/shot fill-able feature of the VTIs.

A little late since I already ordered but thanks for the input.

I've seen Sanus racks and I can tell you that the VTI racks are better from my personal experience. Salamander makes some nice stuff but their lower priced racks don't compare well to similarly priced VTI racks. When comparing wood racks, Room and Board makes 60" cabinets out of solid natural cherry or walnut for $1600 and they are much nicer than Sanus and Salamander.

Hyfi, I tried to reply to your PM but your mailbox is full.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended

Hyfi, I tried to reply to your PM but your mailbox is full.
    All cleared out now.

Well....

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    I looked at their stuff and it is too pricey for what it is. I don't want doors, threaded rods, and such. With any of their racks that use the extruded tubing, it's Item or Bosch, I would be able to tell if I could touch it.

I like the sand/shot fill-able feature of the VTIs.

A little late since I already ordered but thanks for the input.
    I hope you like what you've bought and I'm interested in hearing your opinions since I'm sure to get asked this question sometime in the near future and your experiences could prove quite valuable.

Worf

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I hope you like what you've bought and I'm interested in hearing your opinions since I'm sure to get asked this question sometime in the near future and your experiences could prove quite valuable. Worf
    Man, I hope so too!

I will be sure to post opinions and pics when I get it all together. I am always apprehensive to buy anything that I cannot touch and see. I trusted Black Raven's recommendations from his early response. The pricing was right also. I got this whole custom configured package deal for under $700 and could not get pricing from anywhere else under $900. The other brands mentioned would have been between $1K and $2K for a similarly configured setup.

The Lovan looked very nice but the usable shelf size and spacing was not optimum for my amps.

It's all supposed to arrive fedex on Saturday. I need to pre-assemble it all first. (not adding sand to tubes until we fully redo the room later this summer since I will have to tear it all down again anyway) Next weekend I will tear down the current stuff and get this all into place.

There is a post over at AudioKarma that is close to 400 pages now with pics of systems and listening rooms. One of the pics had the BL-503 in Black/Gold/Cherry and looked pretty sweet with the gear on it. I was daring with my two tone choice to use Gold caps and feet with the Silver tubes. From talking with VTI and Racks&Stands, I may just be the first to order this configuration, hence all the trouble I had just placing my order. I have a few 2tone watches that i like and I do have a Gold Faced VAC so I think it's all going to look pretty cool.

Cool

Thats exactly the one I had, except that mind had black shelves, and a matte black finish.
    I loaned it to a friend, who pretty much tore them up.
    Originally made for CRT sets, its a versatile unit, whichever way its facing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suggestions for AV furnature-1176747260.jpg  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information