Forum Regular

Question Stupid Question: Integrated vs. Stereo receiver

Can anyone tell me the difference between an integrated amplifier and a 2-channel stereo receiver? Does it matter?

Chicago IL
    The receiver has internal radio and the amplifier is just an amplifier!

Quote Originally Posted by deaconblues06
    Can anyone tell me the difference between an integrated amplifier and a 2-channel stereo receiver? Does it matter?
    I will add that many times the Integrated amplifier will have better preamp and amplifier components in it and for the most part make it a better unit for audio playback. that it why generally speaking 2 channel receivers do not cost as much as Integrated amplifiers, they just don't have the same quality of build and sound, and power in most cases. So if two channel audio is what you are after I would almost always recommend a Integrated amp over a receiver.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Chicago IL
    Harley Guy is right! With the amplifier you will have to get a preamp. Some amplifiers have it internal but some don't so you have to buy it! Most of the people have it separates! Amplifier is much better because you can also hook up equalizer, but if you have a receiver you won't be able to use the equalizer with the tuner because it is internal!

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    I will add that many times the Integrated amplifier will have better preamp and amplifier components in it and for the most part make it a better unit for audio playback. that it why generally speaking 2 channel receivers do not cost as much as Integrated amplifiers, they just don't have the same quality of build and sound, and power in most cases. So if two channel audio is what you are after I would almost always recommend a Integrated amp over a receiver.
    Sorry, that's a gross generalization, Harley.

Yes, it is often true, but it isn't the essence of the difference between a receiver and an integrated. Rather as Dakata said (the first time), the receiver has a built-in radio tuner, the integrated amp does not.

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    Harley Guy is right! With the amplifier you will have to get a preamp. Some amplifiers have it internal but some don't so you have to buy it! Most of the people have it separates! Amplifier is much better because you can also hook up equalizer, but if you have a receiver you won't be able to use the equalizer with the tuner because it is internal!
    Integrated amplifiers are the ones with preamps built in. Just no radio. In most cases, these are of better quality than a receiver, but as Feanor said, not always.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by deaconblues06
    A Stereo Receiver has 3 basic components:

1) A Tuner - Used to access Radio Stations...

2) A Preamplifier - Used to Control the volume of the music and select sources (CD/Tuner/Vinyl/Tape/Etc...)

3) A Power Amplifier - provides the power to the speakers....

An Integrated Amplifier has only 2 of those 3 components:

A Preamplifier and a Power Amplifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Sorry, that's a gross generalization, Harley.

Yes, it is often true, but it isn't the essence of the difference between a receiver and an integrated. Rather as Dakata said (the first time), the receiver has a built-in radio tuner, the integrated amp does not.
    thats why I said many times not every time. I did say that for a given price point a Integrated amp well usually outperform a receiver. But there are exceptions to every rule and it depends on so many different factors that it would take a while to explain. I have sold many receivers and Integrated amps in the time that I spent managing a high end shop and for the MOST!! part the integrated amps from any given brand that also made receivers like Denon,Onkyo, and yamaha for example put bigger power supplies and capacitors in their integrated amps than their receivers and I know this because I have taken the case off of many of them and seen what they had under the hood. For most brands it is not a generalization it is the real deal that Integrated amps are USUALLY have better components to offer the a person a little better sound quality and dynamic headroom.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

I would not have went this far into explaining the difference if the op would not have asked if it mattered and I did not figure I would repeat what dakatabg had already covered. I was going to further explain more differences between these to types of units it MOST cases.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    Just use the tape monitor loop but, if you're going to degrade the sound with an EQ you might as well buy a receiver.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Just use the tape monitor loop but, if you're going to degrade the sound with an EQ you might as well buy a receiver.
    Another approach is to use EQ between the LFE outputs and the subs. In that way, you can correct for room modes where EQ is really needed (provided you run the low pass high enough) while not degrading the main signal.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Another approach is to use EQ between the LFE outputs and the subs. In that way, you can correct for room modes where EQ is really needed (provided you run the low pass high enough) while not degrading the main signal.

rw
    I'm with you here E-S, I have a Beringer 1/3 octave that I'm half-heartly considering inserting between the pre and subs. This is the only place, IMHO, that would benifit from an EQ. I only say this 'cause most people (myself included) don't have the expertise and/or the gear to actually improve the freq. responce outside of the lower octaves. Further, most EQs I see around are very poor quality. But to each there own.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Thread Information