Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Howling Wolf
    Is this a very Good PRICE RANGE on RECEIVERS or am I in the LOW END of RECEIVERS? I would like to be in the Upper of the Middle Range of RECEIVERS? I know I do not need to be in the TOP RANGE of RECEIVERS unless they have something that the HIGH END of the MIDDLE Range of RECEIVERS don't have.

Let me know on this?

The price range that I gave you was for the receiver. I hope that you understand what I just said?
    IMHO, The main difference when you go up the line with Receivers is more features and modest power increases (not better sound).. So it just depends on what features you want....

So Marantz, Yamaha, Denon or even Sony should be good choices in your price range... But the best suggestion I can make is that you go down to a Stereo/Home Theatre store and audition some gear....

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Given that buget, I'd suggest getting a 5 disc CD changer from either Marantz, Sony or Yamaha and combining with a matching stereo receiver from the same brand...

You can always upgrade the speakers later....
    Looking at the 3 Brands what one would be your first chose? Than your second chose?

Thats on the Receiver and the 5 Disc CD Changer? Which one has the less amount of trouble?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    IMHO, The main difference when you go up the line with Receivers is more features and modest power increases (not better sound).. So it just depends on what features you want....

So Marantz, Yamaha, Denon or even Sony should be good choices in your price range... But the best suggestion I can make is that you go down to a Stereo/Home Theatre store and audition some gear....

You and the other person are turely helping me in the right direction for someone that does not know anything about the systems.

You can guild me in which system that would be best for us. Looking at our age could tell you allot and better guild us to one that we would enjoy for a lifetime.

We are at 60 years old.

Forum Regular
    IS it " TURE THAT YAMAHA IS THE LEADER OR NUMNER ONE IN STEREO RECEIVERS " ?

No. This is not a black and white world.

IS it " TURE THAT YAMAHA IS THE LEADER OR NUMNER ONE IN STEREO RECEIVERS " ?
    There is no single "leader", or "number one". There are many other very, very good brands besides what the big box stores sell and a lot depends on personal preference. There are some excellent ones you've probably never heard of.

If you want my favorite for a mid-priced stereo unit, I'd say go for NAD or Outlaw Audio but I'd easily settle for a Marantz or Rotel as well, not to mention Onkyo. There are probably others but it would all boil down to what's available for what price.

Accessories4less has a refurbished Marantz 5 disc CD changer that can't be beat for the price. I've had one for over two years now.

If you want some real advise, give a price range unless. of course, you're just trolling and don't really care.

P.S. Drop the caps. It makes you appear illiterate.

Mutant from table 9
    Okay, here are some specifics in your price range:

Buy one of these:

Here is the link:http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4058999

Buy one of these:

Again, here is the link:http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4140997

Finally, buy two of these:

Again, here is the link: http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4039151

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    If you want some real advise, give a price range.
    His price range is only $400 to $600, not really NAD or Outlaw territory.

Also, Howling Wolf, if you keep your stereo in a cabinet with a back and glass doors (i.e. sealed away from dust and prying fingers), then almost any separate component gear will last decades.

P.S. - While it is pure speculation on my part, it would not surprise me if Yammie was the global leader for receiver units sold. Probably constantly changing places with Sony.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Forum Regular

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    There is no single "leader", or "number one". There are many other very, very good brands besides what the big box stores sell and a lot depends on personal preference. There are some excellent ones you've probably never heard of.

If you want my favorite for a mid-priced stereo unit, I'd say go for NAD or Outlaw Audio but I'd easily settle for a Marantz or Rotel as well, not to mention Onkyo. There are probably others but it would all boil down to what's availavble for what price.

If you want some real advise, give a price range. Accessories4less has a refurbished Marantz 5 disc CD changer that can't be beat for the price. I've had one for over two years now.

I did above but I will be happy to gave it again: $250.00 to $600.00.

This may help you It will be used for Radio and Music CD's I will only up to 4 speakers on it.

Cool

Is this a very Good PRICE RANGE on RECEIVERS or am I in the LOW END of RECEIVERS? I would like to be in the Upper of the Middle Range of RECEIVERS? I know I do not need to be in the TOP RANGE of RECEIVERS unless they have something that the HIGH END of the MIDDLE Range of RECEIVERS don't have.

Let me know on this?

The price range that I gave you was for the receiver. I hope that you understand what I just said?
    GO to Walmart or target, they have a wide variety of shelf units from a 100 bucks to 300 bucks.
    Most have changers, pick out the one you like in your price range that has the features you like.
    Just remember that electronics under 500$ these days are considered desposable,
    its just not economic to repair such a cheap item so they put their effort into
    making the price as low as possible, but they should last for several years.
    You will get better sound from your DVD player hooked up to a receiver but it is probably more trouble to you than its worth.
    And these shelf units have a plug (called aux) that you can plug your dvd player into, it will sound better through it.
    But stay away from BOSE, they are NOT top of the line, just top of the price range,
    and not worth the price they charge
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Well, in that case...

I did above but I will be happy to gave it again: $250.00 to $600.00.

This may help you It will be used for Radio and Music CD's I will only up to 4 speakers on it.
    I'd suggest a visit to http://www.accessories4less.com to see what they have to offer for CD changers and stereo receivers. I'm not overly impressesd with their speaker offerings

Stereo units are harder to find than HT receivers so your choices are limited. Sherwood makes a servicable stereo unit (4105?) that is available for $100 or so and Best Buy offers an "Insignia" brand for about the same. After that they seem to make a big jump all the way up to several hundred dollars and the names mentioned here will do well.

IMNSHO, you could do a lot worse than that 5 disc Marantz CD changer that A4L offers and a receiver from them as well, perhaps that $250 Marantz stereo unit. That comes to about $350. The rest could be used for a pair of fairly decent speakers or four quite mediocore ones.

As for which speakers, these depend mostly on your preferences and there's a plethora out there but since you want to run four simultaneously, make sure they are all eight ohms. Not all speakers are. If you like the sound of the RCA speakers, the price is right, and they are eight ohms, go for them.
    Last edited by markw; 03-31-2008 at 06:20 PM.

Forum Regular
    If you was to go out in buy a NEW RECEIVER which one would you buy?

The black one.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Given what you have set for price limits, If you can't make out my recommendations by now, I guess my communication skills are lacking and I apologize for that.

Since most good brands mentioned here are very competitive in price and performance, it would most likely boil down to which one has the features I need and the price.

But, over the past few years I've been instrurmental in the purchase of said $100 Sherwood for three non-audiophile friends who simply wanted good sound at a reasonable price and they are all very happy with them. And, my ears don't bleed when we 're over there listening to music.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Hey Melvin

I second Slumpbuster's suggestion...strong performance-to-price ratio. Component-wise I don't think this system can be beat. Possibly the speakers could be improved but that would necessitate going used and under the circumstance the juice may not be worth the squeeze.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    GO to Walmart or target, they have a wide variety ...
    Why would you choose to emphasize/scream "GO"? Such syntactical decisions must lead to bizarre inflection in the real world.

It ain't easy bein' you, is it Pix?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information