Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    Forum Regular sachs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    52

    Is Sony 555 CD player too old?

    I just got a tremendous fiasco at buying a NAD C545BEE CD player that disclosed not only a real bug for the particular unit but for all NAD CD player in the store (NAD C545BEE tracks failure. They got embarrassed and are managing a good end for this history. I was wondering if my practically "brand new" Sony 555, that was considered when bought (arround 25 years ago, I think), almost as the "Cadillac" of non professional CD players, would be a too old component to restore in my system. I know very well that reproducing CD's is someting that changes every two months, but I get very unhappy and nostalgic when I see my old wonder, looking as the first day, already surpassed by less expensive models. Many thanks and friendly greetings. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE ACCESS TO THAT "DIGITAL FORUM". Many thanks
    Last edited by sachs; 10-13-2009 at 03:56 AM.

  2. #2
    Forum Regular harley .guy07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Springfield, Mo
    Posts
    1,475
    You can do whatever makes you happy with your system. I'm not sure of the year of the 555 sony but I do remember hearing about it years ago as it was talked about very fondly back then. I know alot has changed when it comes to cd players with the dac's and transport mechanisms being better and better but if you like the sony, use it, at least untill you can find another new unit to consider. I don't know if you have been on the digital part of this forum but they have a very informative comparisons of CD players and I would leave the NAD alone seeing how the 399 dollar Emotiva beats the crap out of it and go for either the Emotiva or the musical fedelity model that Mr. peabody talked about if you are wanting to stay in the under 1000 dollar units.

    Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Dynaudio audience 60 mains
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center



  3. #3
    Forum Regular sachs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    52
    Many thanks. I think I bought it, very expensive, arround just 16/17 years aago. Is extremely complex, nice and mechanisms are silent. I was alreayd using a newer Sony components whose laser got bad; then I started to look for a replacement. But the day before yesterday I saw the box where the 555 is, and remember its nice performance. I inisist in that people, magazines and so on, say that playing CD's currently is very best when compared with 16 years ago. But I appreciate very much your advice, because it has some sort of existential perspective that means for me a lot, more than technical abstract speculations. So sorry that Emotiva is apparently unavailable here arround. These professional components do not announce them very much. It is some sort of a 'secret' for initiated. Many, many thanks and greetings

  4. #4
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Analog Synagogue
    Posts
    4,396
    Quote Originally Posted by sachs
    I just got a tremendous fiasco at buying a NAD C545BEE CD player that disclosed not only a real bug for the particular unit but for all NAD CD player in the store (NAD C545BEE tracks failure. They got embarrassed and are managing a good end for this history. I was wondering if my practically "brand new" Sony 555, that was considered when bought (arround 25 years ago, I think), almost as the "Cadillac" of non professional CD players, would be a too old component to restore in my system. I know very well that reproducing CD's is someting that changes every two months, but I get very unhappy and nostalgic when I see my old wonder, looking as the first day, already surpassed by less expensive models. Many thanks and friendly greetings.
    Funny you should ask. I use a Sony CDP-C315. Old as Moses and a changer at that!! Know what? I love it and it sounds fantastic through any amp I hook it up to. I am listening to it at this very moment with my cans on and it delivers a fantastic stage with great seperation, my AKG's absolutely love it.

    If it sounds right to you, and you get teary when you look at it, how could that be wrong?!? Come here big guy!!! (Gives you a big Sony hug!!)

  5. #5
    Forum Regular sachs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    52
    You are a real nice guy. Enthusiastic, passional one. Seem to be Mediterranean. I swear that if I do not get a tremendous compensation from NAD I will ask for my money refund and I stay with my Sony 555. My wife and I have a 14 year old nice cat, that's perfectly healthy (she has just my same age = 72. Who will 'stop' earlier?). Many friendly regards and greetings.

    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Funny you should ask. I use a Sony CDP-C315. Old as Moses and a changer at that!! Know what? I love it and it sounds fantastic through any amp I hook it up to. I am listening to it at this very moment with my cans on and it delivers a fantastic stage with great seperation, my AKG's absolutely love it.

    If it sounds right to you, and you get teary when you look at it, how could that be wrong?!? Come here big guy!!! (Gives you a big Sony hug!!)

  6. #6
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Analog Synagogue
    Posts
    4,396
    Quote Originally Posted by sachs
    You are a real nice guy. Enthusiastic, passional one. Seem to be Mediterranean. I swear that if I do not get a tremendous compensation from NAD I will ask for my money refund and I stay with my Sony 555. My wife and I have a 14 year old nice cat, that's perfectly healthy (she has just my same age = 72. Who will 'stop' earlier?). Many friendly regards and greetings.
    Mediterranean, not a terrible guess. My mother is Jamaican with British ancestry, my father is Parisian, from France of course. Gotta love Canada eh? Thanks for the cudos, I do enjoy a good laugh and some fun.

    But seriously, don't get rid of your Sony because it's old or anyone here runs it down. I think most people will tell you to upgrade, and they wouldn't be wrong in doing so. Keep your eyes open to what's out there and if something comes along that excites you, go for it. I never force a purchase, I wait for the audio god to speak to me and then make my move.

  7. #7
    Phila combat zone JoeE SP9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,593
    sachs:
    As was suggested on another site where you asked the same question, get a good external DAC if you are concerned about sound quality. As long as the transport continues to spin and read discs your 555 should be fine. A new DAC with up and over sampling would improve the sound.
    ARC SP9 MKIII preamp,VPI HW19jr, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1 head amp, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts
    Marantz CD63SE CD,Yamaha DVD-S1800, MSB DAC
    Accuphase T101 tuner,Nakamichi LX-5, ZX-7 Teac V-7010
    Lexicon MC8 surround processor
    2 Adcom GFA-545,2 radically modified Dynaco MK3's,2 bridged Crown XLS-402, Paradigm X-30, Behringer CX2310, DSP1124P
    2 12" Transmission Line Subs (PASS DIY El-Pipe-O), Acoustat Spectra 22 ESL's (fronts), Acoustat Model 1 ESL's/SPW-1 Woofer (rears)

  8. #8
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,773
    Buy a new CD player. Technology has changed and 25 years is a long time for a CD player. After Mr. P's review of the ERC-1, that would be tops on my list for a sub $700 CDP. You can add the Music Hall 25.2 cdp to that list or if you need an all in one CDP/SACD/DVD/BR take a look at the Oppo BDP 83 for $500
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Martin Logan Original Dynamo Sub
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  9. #9
    Forum Regular sachs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    52
    how could I do that because here is no support akready for the 555. please, try to give me a hand, greetings

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    sachs:
    As was suggested on another site where you asked the same question, get a good external DAC if you are concerned about sound quality. As long as the transport continues to spin and read discs your 555 should be fine. A new DAC with up and over sampling would improve the sound.

  10. #10
    Forum Regular sachs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    52

    dac cambridge

    NAD people offer me a Cambridge DAC, Is it adviceable? Please answer me soon for I have to return the unit a get the money refund. Many thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Buy a new CD player. Technology has changed and 25 years is a long time for a CD player. After Mr. P's review of the ERC-1, that would be tops on my list for a sub $700 CDP. You can add the Music Hall 25.2 cdp to that list or if you need an all in one CDP/SACD/DVD/BR take a look at the Oppo BDP 83 for $500

  11. #11
    Forum Regular sachs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    52
    NAD people offer me a Cambridge DAC, Is it adviceable? Please answer me soon for I have to return the unit a get the money refund. Many thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by sachs
    how could I do that because here is no support akready for the 555. please, try to give me a hand, greetings

  12. #12
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,628

    Cool

    NAD IS "BAD".
    Hate to see what has happened to this once fine company.
    Had a Cassette recorder of theirs once, it was great, but with everything I have heard
    lately I wouldn't buy an alarm clock from them.
    As for your Sony, the tech hasn't advanced that much.
    As long as you stay away from recorded discs, and it might play those.
    "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Your player was made in Japan and they didn't know
    how to make bad stuff back then, lots of it still around.
    Why toss it if it works? Sometimes vintage works better than the disposable stuff
    out there these days.
    A decent player will run at least 400 bucks, a lot just to have "new".
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  13. #13
    Forum Regular sachs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    52
    my 555 runs softly and sounds apparently well. I have asked if a Cambridge CAD that offers me NAD Chile is adviceable to improve 555 sound if necessary....Many thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    sachs:
    As was suggested on another site where you asked the same question, get a good external DAC if you are concerned about sound quality. As long as the transport continues to spin and read discs your 555 should be fine. A new DAC with up and over sampling would improve the sound.

  14. #14
    Forum Regular sachs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    52
    Many thanks. Actually yout points are extremely true. Those were times of commercia decency and proud to be famous for goodness, not for mediocrity. Many thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    NAD IS "BAD".
    Hate to see what has happened to this once fine company.
    Had a Cassette recorder of theirs once, it was great, but with everything I have heard
    lately I wouldn't buy an alarm clock from them.
    As for your Sony, the tech hasn't advanced that much.
    As long as you stay away from recorded discs, and it might play those.
    "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Your player was made in Japan and they didn't know
    how to make bad stuff back then, lots of it still around.
    Why toss it if it works? Sometimes vintage works better than the disposable stuff
    out there these days.
    A decent player will run at least 400 bucks, a lot just to have "new".

  15. #15
    Forum Regular harley .guy07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Springfield, Mo
    Posts
    1,475
    I would look into the Combridge audio DAC. Your sony has a digital audio out then running a outboard higher end DAC would definately improve the sound. Its just up to you, you could try it and see if it does what you want it to do.

    Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Dynaudio audience 60 mains
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center



  16. #16
    Forum Regular sachs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    52

    Camridge DAC test

    Tomorrow NAD people will come home with the DAC to test it. Actually my 555 sounds pretty well but there is the danger of eventual failure, and here arround, the snob Sony people do not give it support anymore. At my 72 I thing that I hardly will be able to feeel any subjective difference won't I?. Greetings

    Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    I would look into the Combridge audio DAC. Your sony has a digital audio out then running a outboard higher end DAC would definately improve the sound. Its just up to you, you could try it and see if it does what you want it to do.

  17. #17
    Forum Regular harley .guy07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Springfield, Mo
    Posts
    1,475
    You might not hear a difference. But then again you might. Your Cd player is 25 years old or so so there have been many more upgrades in dac's and overall output circuits in the newer units so i would at least try it to see if its worth it to you to buy. It can't hurt nothing just listening to it to see.

    Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Dynaudio audience 60 mains
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center



  18. #18
    Forum Regular sachs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    52

    just 16

    It is just 16 years old. The DAC costs US$450.00 Too much. I will use Sony 555 until it gets dead an then I will buy something really top of the line (if I do not die before...), Many, many thanks again.

    Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    You might not hear a difference. But then again you might. Your Cd player is 25 years old or so so there have been many more upgrades in dac's and overall output circuits in the newer units so i would at least try it to see if its worth it to you to buy. It can't hurt nothing just listening to it to see.

  19. #19
    Forum Regular sachs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    52

    Testing

    I have, since yesterday, listening significative pieces of classical music: strings, piano, chamber, human voice, drums, harp, high modulation places, etc. and they sound very nice (beginnig of Beethoven's ninth by Gardiner with its "concealed" contemporary plain wood drums is perfectly listenable (it's a very eloquent piece of music for testing harmonics). The only "big" inconvenient of "grandpa" 555 is the on/off is not solenoid, then one has to turn it by hand. Transports and remote control are exceptional and completely silent. Many thanks again with friendly regards.

    Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    You might not hear a difference. But then again you might. Your Cd player is 25 years old or so so there have been many more upgrades in dac's and overall output circuits in the newer units so i would at least try it to see if its worth it to you to buy. It can't hurt nothing just listening to it to see.

  20. #20
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,628

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by sachs
    It is just 16 years old. The DAC costs US$450.00 Too much. I will use Sony 555 until it gets dead an then I will buy something really top of the line (if I do not die before...), Many, many thanks again.
    HAVE YOU TRIED putting your collection on computer?
    With lossless recording the sound from CD is the same for all practical
    purposes.
    And people not around then don't really remember just how amazing Japan was in the
    eighties.
    We got a HDTV standard because people were afraid the Japanese were going
    to dominate with their standard.
    My first AV receiver was a Pioneer, late eighties.
    When you fed the video through you could splitscreen and see what the picture
    improvements were doing in comparison to a direct feed.
    And it wasnt that expensive of a receiver.
    When JAPAN HAD THEIR FIRST CRISIS a lot of the fancy stuff went away, but man, it was
    magic time for awhile.
    I recently saw a Pioneer sx650 , thirty five years old, no refurb, running like a charm.
    Thirty five years !!!
    Which is one reason I don't buy Pioneer any more, I understand the economics,
    but I miss when they put out stuff that would embarass what they do today.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  21. #21
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,773
    Consider the Marantz SA5003 CDP, Music Hall 25.2 CDP, Cambidge Audio 540c.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Martin Logan Original Dynamo Sub
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  22. #22
    Forum Regular sachs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    52
    Dear friend,

    What do you mean with putting my CD collection in the PC?

    Many thanks for all your kind comments with which I agree. I am enjoying my 555 currently and will ge my money back.

    I have troubles for burning private ungapped wav CD's coming from downloaded MP3 files of continuosus music heavy tracked. Resulting CD's are fully gapped when it's most bothering. Re-ripping has been the advice. Lossles for a 72 year old listener doesn't make any difference.
    Friendly greetings.
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    HAVE YOU TRIED putting your collection on computer?
    With lossless recording the sound from CD is the same for all practical
    purposes.
    And people not around then don't really remember just how amazing Japan was in the
    eighties.
    We got a HDTV standard because people were afraid the Japanese were going
    to dominate with their standard.
    My first AV receiver was a Pioneer, late eighties.
    When you fed the video through you could splitscreen and see what the picture
    improvements were doing in comparison to a direct feed.
    And it wasnt that expensive of a receiver.
    When JAPAN HAD THEIR FIRST CRISIS a lot of the fancy stuff went away, but man, it was
    magic time for awhile.
    I recently saw a Pioneer sx650 , thirty five years old, no refurb, running like a charm.
    Thirty five years !!!
    Which is one reason I don't buy Pioneer any more, I understand the economics,
    but I miss when they put out stuff that would embarass what they do today.

  23. #23
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    19
    hi sachs, i have a old sony dvp-7000s player i use as a transport it works dam good, its built like a tank it haves double lazer pickups, one for cds one for dvds , i had it, & use it a lot, for 12 or 13 yrs, it havent missed a beat. i know that some day its going out or it will out live me this is my fist post in this forum hi every one

    joe

  24. #24
    Forum Regular harley .guy07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Springfield, Mo
    Posts
    1,475
    hello Joe Welcome to the forum. I am glad to be able to relate to sachs in that you guys have similar players from around the same erra. Its good for people with like gear to find each other so they can share setups and modifications that could make the gear better and better yet. Just chat it up about the hobby that we all seem to have a passion for. good to meet you sir.

    Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Dynaudio audience 60 mains
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center



  25. #25
    Forum Regular sachs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    52
    Many very kind and friendly greetings. I share the pleasure of this encounter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook