Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sonus Faber vs B&W

Both of these Two models are the cream of the crop, the El' Capitan. But which one is better? They are both unique designs with quality that is just astounding, and a price tag that rivals BMW's and Mercedes.

B&W nautilus versus Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

I've heard Stradivari with Classe' gears. They were great, but absolutely NOT worth that much money. I would rather have 2 pair of Cremona.

JRA

i think the b&w will get my choice,
    never heard them though.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Based on reviews and literature B&W strives to make mechanical devices that accurately reproduce sound and Sonus Faber strives to make musical instruments. I've never heard either of these two models, but other models I have heard from both companies make me a Sonus Faber fan. Accuracy might be fun and challenging, but I like listening to music and for my tastes at least, Sonus Faber delivers.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Well, I am sure that everyone on here with say B&W even without hearing the two speakers or knowing much about either one of them. This seems to be a B&W community of people. I think that either one would be a good choice, but I would have to think that the Sonus Faber is a bit better.

I've never heard Sonus, but I really like B&W... and assuming both sound equally excellent (impossible huh?).... I'd go with the B&W simply because of how striking they look.... The sonus look unique but nowhere near the "what the?" cosmetic quality of the B&W....

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    What about Focal Beryllium Utopia Grande? I heard one of the lower level versions of this (either the Nova, Alto or Diva) 10 months ago and was very impressed.

*grad student with no intentions of spending $80k+ on speakers any time soon*

As least based on my listening to other B&W speakers, I'm not a huge fan of them but they're not bad by any means. I just always feel that I can find something better from another brand for similar or less money.

B&W are great sounding speakers. I think people hate them for the price they charge. I do think they should be charging about 25% less for their 800s. I dont understand why they even sell 700s. They sound terrible to my ears. 600s? I think they are much better sounding speakers.

This is like asking which is better, BMW or Mercedes? Blondes or brunettes? There is no right answer. If your asking which is more accurate, the answer is undoubtedly the Naut. If you've ever heard a Sonus, you know this to be true. But is that a good thing? Accuracy over musicality? Hmmm...

Personally, I prefer redheads .

Im gonna say mercedes are better than BMW's, i prefer brunettes, hada few bad experiences with redheads. and being a Bowers fan myself im gonna say the naut.....

Hey TopSpeed,

Would you agree that Stradi has a tonal coloration? And also sound quality seems to be "muffled" slightly. Sound stage may have been too wide for what I've been used to. I believe "muffled" maybe a wrong word to use, but I that's about the only way I can explain it without sounding like shmucks on audio mags.

I love blondes with redish highlight...
    JRA

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Im gonna say mercedes are better than BMW's
    As the great Henry Rollins once said:
    "You can have your opinion...

You're just wrong!"

Benz over BMW?!? Clearly you haven't been following the JD Power reliability studies for say...the last 10 years. Better yet, lemme give ya an example:

My buddy drove an E55 AMG for a little over 2 years. This is $90,000+ car, just so you know. During that time, it was in the shop for no less than 60 days. Not all at once, of course, which actually made it worse. The car was such a lemon, MBUSA actually just bought it back and repaid 90% off his payments (including interest) for the time he owned the car. Pretty cool, eh? My friend mentioned how impressed he was with the company and how they stood behind their cars. So, of course I asked if he was going to get another Benz. His response?

"Oh, Hell no. They're sh!t!"

i prefer brunettes, hada few bad experiences with redheads.
    Like it matters these days. Women color their hair so much these days, who knows what their natural color is anymore!

ya well one of my firends owned a BMW Z4 and was very disatisfied with it, and traded it in for the SLK 320. But for the battle of sedans, Audi is my personal fav... i wouldn't trade my A4 for a BMW or a benz... But I must agree that i was very displeased with the Merc E320. but come on... what does BMW have on the SLR... it may be partly a mclaren, but it still carries the merc badge on it....

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Hey TopSpeed,

Would you agree that Stradi has a tonal coloration? And also sound quality seems to be "muffled" slightly. Sound stage may have been too wide for what I've been used to. I believe "muffled" maybe a wrong word to use, but I that's about the only way I can explain it without sounding like shmucks on audio mags.

I love blondes with redish highlight...
    JRA
    I have not heard the Srad's, but if they sound like every other SF I've heard, then without question there is coloration. Their personality is extremely laid back with lush and romantic playback. Some consider these qualities to be "musical." Some consider it inaccurate.

Hey, whatever makes your boat float is what I say.

Even though chicks do dye their hair so frequintly that they are even unsure what their true hair colour is, brunettes are just so gorgeous...

What does BMW have on Merc?!?

Better handling, better brakes, better reliability, and oh yeah...manual transmissions!

Benz does have better designers, I'll give them that as the CLS is flat gorgeous and the E class is exceptionally proportioned as well. I'm not a fan of the S, CL, C, or any SUV they make, including that R thingy.
    As for the SLR, I haven't seen a schnoz that big since Jimmy Durante. Have you seen that car in person? If not, look in wikipedia under "Front Overhang". Blech.

I'll take a Z8, thanks.

In case you haven't guessed, I drive a M3.
    Last edited by topspeed; 12-01-2006 at 11:13 AM.

Is it even worth comparing reliability when talking about European cars?

So which costs more the Nautilus or the redhead?

All kidding aside at those price points, system matching and room matching are needed to bring out the best in any of those speakers.

IMHO hearing any of them with a missmatched component, cable or room will exhibit larger differences than between the products properly set up with matched components.

We should be talking subtle and nuance regarding any tonal colors, for it to be otherwise implies a speaker is wrongly included in that elite mix.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

I would love to talk about how Mercedes went even more south after merger with Chrysler Group, but lets get back to the topic......automatic transmittion? That's as boring as driving on the I-70 between Denver and Kansas City....GAWD!!!!

I'd take the Audi R8 Coupe over Mercedez or BMW.

It has been my dream to own one of those '60s Mercedes roadster. I dont know what it is, but they look beautiful to the eyes of jra.

I actually have seen the SLR in person, it does have a big nose, but i still prefer the look of that to the Z8. As for the M3 if i had the money to buy an M3 when i got my A4, well i would be drivng a M3 right now. Mercedes do suck in the lower price point, but when you get into the top of the line thats when they actually do some nice cars, not sporty but just luxurious. But I would take a Maserati Coupe, or the Aston Martin V8 over the benz or the BMW.

The 60's were a great year for mercedes, but not the greatest for BMW, the fifites on the other hand, produced great cars from both, the benz sl gullwing, and the 57 BMW 507.

Have they even put a price on the R8...yet?? the new prototype supra should lay some serious rubber...

I'm waiting for Acura to replace the NSX...

now while cars are great and all, I'm on a car forum too... can we discuss sexy, expensive speakers?

I think we've already discussed it. No conclusion. It's like discussing "hey which tastes better?", Mayostard or Musturdonaise?

I want to hear of more impossibly expensive speakers. I know there are more out there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information