Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: songs with bass

Forum Regular
    Sunn O)))

First....I've noticed a lack of bass when comparing the MLP to DTS on DVD-Audio discs....a few examples would be Queen's THE GAME and a song like DRAGON ATTACK has great bass....so that's one example to check out for bass when it comes to multichannel....there are several others including the Crystal Method LEGION OF BOOM DVD-A already mentioned.

There are also a few surprising songs with some really sweet bass (I am assuming that we are looking for songs that have low-end, not necessarily good bass-lines as in Jaco Pastorious)...not songs that you might expect or artists you might expect. Those being...

Sarah McLachlan's I LOVE YOU (bass entirely through at really low frequencies)
    The Cranberries THE CONCEPT (awesome bass beat)
    Alan Parsons Project TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION (entire album)
    Stevie Wonder's SUPERSTITION and HIGHER GROUND (nice beats)
    Sigur Ros (track # 2 from the album () ) (superb low end throughout)
    The Flaming Lips A SPOONFUL WEIGHS A TON (bass hit)
    Kenny Wayne Shepherd EVERYTIME IT RAINS (deep bass)
    Jewel INNOCENCE MAINTAINED (really deep bass)

Ok, now here is a really really really REALLY great song for everyone to check out that is the PERFECT demo for your system. The reason why is because #1 it's melodic in both high end and low end frequencies #2 there are no vocals, so this is purely an instrumental track to help calibrate your gear and #3 it's obscure, but very catchy.

The song is called MESSAGE TO CROMMIE by Planet 4 Folk Quartet

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

american beauty score

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:brfozfo1eh5k

the synth bass is scary deep and loud. a speaker buster. be careful.
    ...regards...tr

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

american beauty score

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:brfozfo1eh5k

the synth bass is scary deep and loud. be careful.
    ...regards...tr

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    First....I've noticed a lack of bass when comparing the MLP to DTS on DVD-Audio discs....a few examples would be Queen's THE GAME and a song like DRAGON ATTACK has great bass....so that's one example to check out for bass when it comes to multichannel....there are several others including the Crystal Method LEGION OF BOOM DVD-A already mentioned.

There are also a few surprising songs with some really sweet bass (I am assuming that we are looking for songs that have low-end, not necessarily good bass-lines as in Jaco Pastorious)...not songs that you might expect or artists you might expect. Those being...

Sarah McLachlan's I LOVE YOU (bass entirely through at really low frequencies)
    The Cranberries THE CONCEPT (awesome bass beat)
    Alan Parsons Project TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION (entire album)
    Stevie Wonder's SUPERSTITION and HIGHER GROUND (nice beats)
    Sigur Ros (track # 2 from the album () ) (superb low end throughout)
    The Flaming Lips A SPOONFUL WEIGHS A TON (bass hit)
    Kenny Wayne Shepherd EVERYTIME IT RAINS (deep bass)
    Jewel INNOCENCE MAINTAINED (really deep bass)

Ok, now here is a really really really REALLY great song for everyone to check out that is the PERFECT demo for your system. The reason why is because #1 it's melodic in both high end and low end frequencies #2 there are no vocals, so this is purely an instrumental track to help calibrate your gear and #3 it's obscure, but very catchy.

The song is called MESSAGE TO CROMMIE by Planet 4 Folk Quartet

DTS isnt using the BM from the player but from the receiver which almost always has better bm. Also some receivers have a seperate setting for DTS other then normal bm, for more or less lfe. A good way to hear the differenmce is listen to a dts disc through the analogs and then switch to the dig. Night and day as far as bass on my setup.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    sence you mention crystal method I'd say the song PHD from tweekend has a bit more going for it in the bass dept than high roller. Though it may not be as deep it just dosen't stop. Play that at a red light and see what the motorists think. I could go on and on about NIN songs with amazing bass but theres too many.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Any DnB mix. I like DJ DB and Reid Speed
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    DTS isnt using the BM from the player but from the receiver which almost always has better bm. Also some receivers have a seperate setting for DTS other then normal bm, for more or less lfe. A good way to hear the differenmce is listen to a dts disc through the analogs and then switch to the dig. Night and day as far as bass on my setup.
    I think you've touched on a very important piece here shokhead.

Here are a few songs from us old folk.

Hell Freeze's Over CD and "Hotel California".

Most of the Pink Floyd Albums.

DePeche Mode has some deep synth and organs on "Violator" and "Songs of Faith and Devotion".

And believer it or not, I was in random play the other day and found some of the Madonna albums with some pretty low frequency material.

Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears - Mama Im Coming Home (The whole CD really, but this one has the most base)
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears - Mama Im Coming Home (The whole CD really, but this one has the most base)
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    I knew there were a few holes in my music collection and I was wondering what AC/DC album you would recommend? A greatest hits album maybe?

Any recommendations on Black Sabbath would also be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by westcott
    I knew there were a few holes in my music collection and I was wondering what AC/DC album you would recommend? A greatest hits album maybe?

Any recommendations on Black Sabbath would also be appreciated.
    The AC/DC I would go with is Back in Black. IMO it was their best. I am not familiar with their greatest hits albums to know how good they are. Albums huh? You got us both showing our ages. What, no 8-tracks?

I loved the Heaven & Hell tour, & album, from Black Sabbath. This is the one with Ronnie James Dio as the singer. (Also good for base) It was the "Black & Blue" tour with B.O.C. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was good. And the classic - We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll. You almost can't go wrong with any of them. Here's a good link. http://www.black-sabbath.com/discog/sabbathpick.html

Most of Ozzy's albums were also very good.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

What, no 8-tracks?

In matter of fact, I do have a shoe box full of eight tracks that I can not bring myself to get rid of. My wife's 69 Olds 442 had an eight track that I spent many an hour working on to get it to work again. We sold it for a good chunk of change but we both miss the old girl. Now that I have a house, I may have to talk the wife into building another hot rod after the home remodel is complete.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    The AC/DC I would go with is Back in Black. IMO it was their best. I am not familiar with their greatest hits albums to know how good they are. Albums huh? You got us both showing our ages. What, no 8-tracks?

I loved the Heaven & Hell tour, & album, from Black Sabbath. This is the one with Ronnie James Dio as the singer. (Also good for base) It was the "Black & Blue" tour with B.O.C. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was good. And the classic - We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll. You almost can't go wrong with any of them. Here's a good link. http://www.black-sabbath.com/discog/sabbathpick.html

Most of Ozzy's albums were also very good.
    Does BS have anything remastered?
    Look & Listen

In matter of fact, I do have a shoe box full of eight tracks that I can not bring myself to get rid of. My wife's 69 Olds 442 had an eight track that I spent many an hour working on to get it to work again. We sold it for a good chunk of change but we both miss the old girl. Now that I have a house, I may have to talk the wife into building another hot rod after the home remodel is complete.
    I still have a working 8-track recorder at home. It does garage duty.

A 69 442 huh? Nice classic. Must have been like selling off your first born. I know the feeling. I just sold my Harley to help pay for the extras we are putting in our house. So if my wife starts complaining that I'm riding the quarts counter tops, everyone should know why.

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Does BS have anything remastered?
    It looks like a couple of the later releases on this site were remastered.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/discog/sabbathpick.html

This one looks to cover most of the Ozzy years and is a remaster.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/discog/blackbox.html

I still have a working 8-track recorder at home. It does garage duty.

A 69 442 huh? Nice classic. Must have been like selling off your first born. I know the feeling. I just sold my Harley to help pay for the extras we are putting in our house. So if my wife starts complaining that I'm riding the quarts counter tops, everyone should know why.
    The real problem were memorabilia collectors and theives. We could not take it anywhere without someone stealing a center cap or trim ring or even the numbers.

Well, if any counter top can take the weight of you or a Harley, it would be quartz counter top. We just installed ours and we love them. No sealing, invisible seam lines, non porous, and far less likely to break, crack, or fail when compared to traditional granite.

Priorities change but you may get your bike back some day. Good Luck and thanks for the suggestions.

The real problem were memorabilia collectors and theives. We could not take it anywhere without someone stealing a center cap or trim ring or even the numbers.

Well, if any counter top can take the weight of you or a Harley, it would be quartz counter top. We just installed ours and we love them. No sealing, invisible seam lines, non porous, and far less likely to break, crack, or fail when compared to traditional granite.

Priorities change but you may get your bike back some day. Good Luck and thanks for the suggestions.
    I bet. Must have been a pain trying to make sure nothing vanished from it all the time.

That's what I've read about them. I hope they make wifey happy. It was a compromize though. She wanted a light color and I wanted dark (one of the counters would border my HT room). So she agreed to go with my color but only if we got quartz.

Maybe, time will tell. You are welcome. Enjoy.

But now I've gone and done it. Can't get Sweet Leaf to stop playing in the back of my mind. Sure hope the CD is in the car for the ride home. Da dant, da da da, na dah dant, da dant, da da da.

Another good track for base is Rush's BY-TOR AND THE SNOW DOG from Fly By Night.

I. At the Tobes of Hades
    The Tobes of Hades
    Lit by flickering torchlight
    The Netherworld is gathered in the glare
    Prince By-Tor takes the cavern
    To the north light
    The sign of Eth is rising in the air
    By-Tor, knight of darkness,
    Centurion of evil
    Devil's prince

II. Across the Styx
    Across the River Styx
    Out of the lamplight
    His nemesis is waiting at the gate
    The Snow Dog, ermine glowing
    In the damp night
    Coal-black eyes shimmering with hate
    By-Tor and the Snow Dog
    Square for battle
    Let the fray begin

III. Of the Battle

Instrumental

IV. Epilogue
    The battle's over
    And the dust is clearing
    Disciples of the Snow Dog sound the knell
    Rejoicing echoes
    As the dawn is nearing
    By-Tor in defeat
    Retreats to Hell
    Snow Dog is victorious
    The land of the Overworld
    Is saved again

Stereo value > car value texlle's Avatar
    Not to be vague, but your best bets are going to be most rap, hip-hop, and smooth jazz believe it or not, most specifically from the past 10 years or so. For Jazz, I would highly recommend music from the rippingtons. I find a lot of jazz, especially by them, to be very bass heavy.
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Musical Fidelity V3 series- X-LPS phono preamp, X-DAC, X-PSU
    Rega RP1 w/ performance pack
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    -----------------------------
    B&W DM603s2- B&W LCR60s3- B&W DM302
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T
    Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD
    Denon DBP-1611 bluray
    -----------------------------
    KEF K120- Jolida JD202a- Cambridge Audio D300 cdp- T500 tuner

Photo gallery

Rap and Hip Hop are certainly bass-heavy, but not necessarily a good gauge because it's typically just a thumping bass that is around one low frequency, whereas some of the titles that I mentioned actually have various frequencies and dynamics.

bass music

How about Fisherspooner's latest one...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...110324?ie=UTF8
    I actually like this cd - usually I stay away from this kind of music

You may want to go with trip-hop, which is also very bassy music, however most of it is not extremely low bass. I would call it mid-bass/bass. You should try Portishead's "dummy" album, which is I like very much. It has prolonged bass notes, which are melodious.
    Hip-hop is also always a good bet, as previously stated. Especially if you're looking for for hard hitting stuff.

nightflier
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Massive Attack. Their Mezzanine cd is quite a workout.

But like many posters have said, most hip hop is bass heavy only in depth but not in width. To really give a full-range speaker (and a pair of subs if you have 'em) a good workout is to play music where part of the melody is in the bass. Bach's Fugue in D is always fun (and popular enough to be played in a lowrider w/o being laughed out of the parking lot). Some other good organ music can be had from Franck & Dupre.

Another nice bassy piece is the second movement of "The Pines of Rome" by Respighi, about 3 minutes into the track - you can tell your fellow bass-heads it's the soundtrack to the Gladiator (not really, but they probably won't know that). If your system can play this without breaking up and the volume set at 12 noon, then you've got some solid speakers. I also think Philip Glass (of Candyman fame), has some impressive bass-heavy compositions.

And if you're looking for some more suggestions, SVS (the subwoofer guys) have some great suggestions on their website:

http://www.svsound.com/questions-faqs.cfm#moviedemos

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Bach's Fugue in D is always fun (and popular enough to be played in a lowrider w/o being laughed out of the parking lot).
    hahaha agreed!!!!
    Also agreed on the massive attack part, great music!!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by texlle
    Not to be vague, but your best bets are going to be most rap, hip-hop, and smooth jazz believe it or not, most specifically from the past 10 years or so. For Jazz, I would highly recommend music from the rippingtons. I find a lot of jazz, especially by them, to be very bass heavy.

Going to have to agree with Rippingtons for sure. I didn't mention them in my earlier post but they came to mind along with many GRP disks. I have almost every Rippingtons cd but Sahara has a few way down deep bass tracks. Kim Stone likes to play at the lower end of the spectrum. I have seen them 4 times but not in the last 4 years or so.

I noticed your Dynaudio logo in your post. I have the 82s and love them. Which model do you have?

Brian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information