Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by IBSTORMIN
    Just makes me ask again....is it power or quality on the bigger amps?
    Both. I assure you there are audible differences between a $500 Crown pro amp and a $40k VTL amp with similar power ratings. While my electrostats are even more demanding than Magneplanars, I value quality over quantity.

Just makes me ask - Is there a point where the Maggies seem too bright, no warmth?
    Only when the source sounds that way. The 20.1s were my second choice behind the speakers I ended up with.

rw

I agree with quality over quantity as well but you have to feed a demanding speaker the proper amount power as well as quality power.
    10 wpc of a high quality tube amp is not going to play my 1.6's at the volume that I like to listen with certain music types. The volume level will be lacking as well as transients and dynamics.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I agree with quality over quantity as well but you have to feed a demanding speaker the proper amount power as well as quality power.
    10 wpc of a high quality tube amp is not going to play my 1.6's at the volume that I like to listen with certain music types. The volume level will be lacking as well as transients and dynamics.
    Well said BR!!!

IMO, the best approach is to pick the Speakers you like first, then find the best quality amp with sufficient power to drive it (that fits your budget).... So in my case, since I like Monitor Audio & Revel Speakers... I know I can use an amp with 50 watts or less (considering that the speakers are 89-91db sensitivity and my room size is only 15ftx11ft).... If I was using a pair of 1.6's, I'd be looking at something greater than 100 watts....

RGA
    Forum Regular
    For scrolling purposes in the forum, I did not copy the whole post.

RGA - KEEP IT UP! I like the education. Thanks. So you start with what your speaker is rated spl @ 1 Watt. My speaker owners manual says:
    Sensitivity: 96dB @ 2.83 V and 1 m(anechoic conditions). What exactly does that mean?
    It likely means that my 10 watt amp will blow you into next week. In room your figures would be higher - your speaker is more sensitve than mine such that 5 watts would get your there. Of course this assumes that your speaker does not have serious impedence swings.

But what people seem to forget is that the vast majority of good tube amps have a 4 ohm tap making them quite agreeable to 2ohm loads.

1 watt will get you 96db SPL at a listening distance of 1 meter. Generally 2-4 watts will produce the SPL at 2 meters.

Feaner I agree I think. But from my examples it should be clear that Volume capability is more of a function of speaker sensitivy which is why plenty of systems with 5 watts will lay louder than systems with 300-1000 watt amplifiers.

Watts is not volume and that was my main point. The theory of the first watt is true - get it right and worry about watts later. 5 good watts is better than 1000 lousy ones. (refers to quality not the literal)

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    It likely means that my 10 watt amp will blow you into next week. In room your figures would be higher - your speaker is more sensitve than mine such that 5 watts would get your there. Of course this assumes that your speaker does not have serious impedence swings.
    Ssssooo....is that why my wife complains that I am shaking the house and I tell her I can't be, I'm only puttting out 20 amps and have 180 to go.......??? She won't come downstairs because she says it sounds just fine from the first floor. LOL

I don't think the 6 ohm Infinity Prelude P-FR speakers would have impedence swings?

This brings up the next question. Sounds like I have upgraded because of sound quality and I didn't really need a 200 watt amp. I already kinda knew that but wanted the better sound, stayed in the same line and just kept going up. I like the sound I have but......
    If I were to spend say $2-3,000 on used matching stereo pre-amp & amp, I probably only need 20-50 watts just to give me power to spare for my rocking moments, what would you recommend?
    If I was spending the same money, would I be better off with pre/cables/amp or an Integrated?
    What Lines and specific models should I look at?

I guess I need to mention, my 200 watt amp is fully balanced dual mono design, weighs 70 lbs and sold for $2400 back in 1987. I want something that sounds better with lower watts.
    Last edited by IBSTORMIN; 01-14-2009 at 08:42 PM.

I like having extra power on hand. You never know when the upgrade bug will bite you. Having more power will give you more speaker options if you decide to upgrade to a more demanding speaker.

I think that you will find that if you buy a used power amp for $2-3K that most will be 100+ wpc.

If you want to buy a new power amp, consider the Van Alstine line of Solid State and Tube amps. He has a nice 90wpc integrated as well which sounds awesome. He even has 3 channel amps if you want to do a 3.1 set up for HT used. His solid state amps have a tube like sound. His pre amps are excellent as well with great transperency, resolution and a huge sound stage.
    www.avahifi.com

Also consider Parasound Halo, Bryston, Conrad Johnson to name a few.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I find my mode has significant impact on how good the music sounds (in addition to how much I enjoy it). If I'm stressed and tired it never sounds as good. It makes me question how accurate my appraisals are at any given time.

How big a factor in sound quality is personal mode with other AR members??
    Mood has a great influence on how good the music sounds.
    How good the music sounds has a great influence on mood.
    Sometimes you just don't have enough time for the music to cure the mood.
    That's why we keep trying to improve how good the music sounds.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information