Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

So what does everybody do???

I enjoyed the last thread about how everyone ended up here, question that I was thinking about lately after reading another thread was 'What does everybody do?" You know...for a living? What job market is everyone in? The curiousity is only because part of who we are is what we do and I thought it might be interesting to see the variety of job markets that we occupy and it's also kinda fun to ask people questions about their job.

I'll start...

I do graphic design, video production, and some web layouts. I work 6 days a week and really enjoy what I do. I have a basically free schedule to do what I want, when I want and I suppose my favorite thing about it is connecting with people through various mediums. I typically produce about 1-3 videos per month and I do all sorts of graphic layouts ranging from postcards to T-shirts etc etc. I also manage a group of people who also help out with various projects, so my technical term is "Director of Media Arts".

Ok, your turn!!!!!!!

Hi, Skies

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    I enjoyed the last thread about how everyone ended up here, question that I was thinking about lately after reading another thread was 'What does everybody do?" You know...for a living? What job market is everyone in? ...

Ok, your turn!!!!!!!
    Interesting line of work you're in. I guess mine is relatively boring.

I'm a systems analyst and have worked in that capacity, and as an accountant, for many years for a major Canadian life insurance company. As systems analyst, I determine requirements for data processing systems and provide the functional specifications for those systems, working with business management and operations staff as well as computer software developers.

I could retire on full pension at any time I want, but I mostly enjoy the work, plus I need extra money will my kids are finishing college.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Sorry, mine's boring, so I'll keep it short: I'm in computers, I write software.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

student

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I am currently a caregive for a gentleman with Alzheimer's disease. I stay with him at night so he can remain in his home. Since I can rest when he does I am getting paid to sleep.

I also work part time in a retail store. Having all my days free I was becoming bored so I found a job that would get me out amongst people.

I still do some freelance photography work. People are pestering me about photographing their weddings. Anymore I only enjoy travel photography.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Great Idea for a post PS,

Always nice to have a little background on our members.

When I was younger I took courses on appliance repair and recording engineering and dabbled a bit with this but eventually ended up as an electrician for 20+ years. My back started to give me problems so I bit the bullet and studied civil engineering and have been doing this for 'bout 5 years now. I design and administer land developmnent projects (subdivisions and site servicing) in the interior of British Columbia.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Babysitter

I Babysit grown men, in other words I'm a Sr Correctional Officer in medium prison/county jail.

Flip

Nothing exciting here, either. I am with the IT group for the local power/water/gas company. We take care of six facilities, their websites, computers, all that good stuff. The thing I like is that since there are six different facilities, there is actually a lot of driving back and fourth. All the places are within 15 miles of each other, so it breaks up the day nicely and allows some time for some cruising and tune jamming

I'm back in the taxi business. Which is my 16 year of driving taxi, I drove courier in between for about 5 years. Presently I drive a wheelchair taxi. We mostly transfer patients from hospitals, care homes as well as school. When I'm not busy with wheelchairs I'm on the regular fleet.

I am a technician at a Ford dealership. My primary skills are diesel and gas performance.

I am projection and sound technician for a theater service/supply company. I service local theaters in the LA area as well as San Diego and all the way out to Palm Springs. I also travel quite a bit for new installs. I was recently in Arizona and will be going back a couple more times this year.

It's not the greatest job in the world but I do enjoy the sound portion of the job. I also get to meet some very interesting people.

Before this I was projectionist for 10 years as well as managing several movie theaters.

Good topic to for discussion PS.

I am afraid mine is not that interesting...

I head up the distribution and contracts areas for a medium/large mail order B2C health products company (mostly vitamins and supplements).

---Dave
    Last edited by drseid; 03-12-2007 at 01:04 AM.
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

nice thread... I'm currently a business student, and in during the summer the I fight Forest Fires for the Government of BC...
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hey, always wondered about some of you.
    i'm a financial analyst, pipelines and utilities, though lately I'm focusing on risk management and portfolio performance measurements for institutional investors - mostly pension plans. Far from the exciting pilot/fireman job I thought I'd have when I was a kid.

I'm an Emergnecy Medicine Physician at a busy hospital. Been doing it for 20years.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

superdougiefreshness

Great Topic !

Currently I am in the closeout to my jobsite and then will be laid off with severance from my financial processing job. Am looking at nursing schools, go ahead and laugh for I will make kick ass money and I will always work. "ALWAYS" and at the times I wish to work "for the most part" Past was everything from U.S. Navy hospital Corpsman, then flight attendent. And many a temp job in between that allows my better judgement to get my butt into some sort of schooling. My rent is very cheap for the city I live, car paid off and I already have a beautiful stereo/movie setup. I also live in my favorite neiborhood of San Diego in March. Going back to school as a single dude is the best thing at 44 years old and in good health. This could be the chance I have waited so long for. And yes I love comments.......

Later

I've been working as a Logistics Coordinator for a company in Georgetown KY since the end of January. I get a nice little discount on Toyota products, but didnt get a dime off on a Scion TC I purchased last night. There goes the tube int/combo I was looking to get. It's a great oppotunity for me and I am excited. But I wouldnt suggest it for anyone who's looking to get an exotic system with their pay. Oh well

Have a great week to all, except for the selected few.

Forum Regular

Cleaning

I have a small cleaning business, mostly clean office buildings, not getting rich but i make a living.

Hey Superdougie, Nursing is a great field, there's a nation wide shortage of nurses and your right, you will always have a job. You will make very good money if you work in a hospital setting. Just make sure you go for RN vs LPN. We have many male nurses in our hospital! You'll probably get stuck with night shifts till you gain senority.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I'm an Electrical Engineer (putting off the PE exam)...
    I am presently working at an engineering firm in the automation department...
    we do a lot of work in the natural gas industry...
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Great thread Mr. Flakes

I worked at a research center for a few years as a Buyer. Was buying all kinds of electronics, lasers, chemicals etc for a bunch of mad scientist types. Went to school at night to get degrees in math and computer science. So now I'm still a Buyer. But at least I'm the top dog, running a small Purchasing department. We buy parts to repair printers and laptops.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Some of my many duties:
    * Combat evil whenever it rears its ugly head
    * Ease human suffering and injustice
    * Quell riots
    * Overthrow dictatorships
    * Analyze barley and hops libations for quality
    * Verify Virgins

Whew!

When I can spare a moment, commercial/residential real estate development and sales.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Well...

...as one can tell by my casual repartee and easy-going demeanor, being a hostage negotiator and doing volunteer work at a suicide hotline isn't it...

In-house systems tech...wires and cables and ones and zeros...

jimmHJJ(...that kinda' stuff...for a very, very long time...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Some of my many duties:
    * Combat evil whenever it rears its ugly head
    * Ease human suffering and injustice
    * Quell riots
    * Overthrow dictatorships
    * Analyze barley and hops libations for quality
    * Verify Virgins

Whew!

When I can spare a moment, commercial/residential real estate development and sales.
    Captain America?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

At your service!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information