• 03-11-2007, 12:50 AM
    PeruvianSkies
    So what does everybody do???
    I enjoyed the last thread about how everyone ended up here, question that I was thinking about lately after reading another thread was 'What does everybody do?" You know...for a living? What job market is everyone in? The curiousity is only because part of who we are is what we do and I thought it might be interesting to see the variety of job markets that we occupy and it's also kinda fun to ask people questions about their job.

I'll start...

I do graphic design, video production, and some web layouts. I work 6 days a week and really enjoy what I do. I have a basically free schedule to do what I want, when I want and I suppose my favorite thing about it is connecting with people through various mediums. I typically produce about 1-3 videos per month and I do all sorts of graphic layouts ranging from postcards to T-shirts etc etc. I also manage a group of people who also help out with various projects, so my technical term is "Director of Media Arts".

Ok, your turn!!!!!!!
  • 03-11-2007, 01:42 AM
    Feanor
    Hi, Skies
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    I enjoyed the last thread about how everyone ended up here, question that I was thinking about lately after reading another thread was 'What does everybody do?" You know...for a living? What job market is everyone in? ...

Ok, your turn!!!!!!!

Interesting line of work you're in. I guess mine is relatively boring.

I'm a systems analyst and have worked in that capacity, and as an accountant, for many years for a major Canadian life insurance company. As systems analyst, I determine requirements for data processing systems and provide the functional specifications for those systems, working with business management and operations staff as well as computer software developers.

I could retire on full pension at any time I want, but I mostly enjoy the work, plus I need extra money will my kids are finishing college.
  • 03-11-2007, 02:04 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    Sorry, mine's boring, so I'll keep it short: I'm in computers, I write software.
  • 03-11-2007, 04:02 AM
    basite
    student :)

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 03-11-2007, 05:30 AM
    JohnMichael
    I am currently a caregive for a gentleman with Alzheimer's disease. I stay with him at night so he can remain in his home. Since I can rest when he does I am getting paid to sleep.

I also work part time in a retail store. Having all my days free I was becoming bored so I found a job that would get me out amongst people.

I still do some freelance photography work. People are pestering me about photographing their weddings. Anymore I only enjoy travel photography.
  • 03-11-2007, 05:54 AM
    Luvin Da Blues
    Great Idea for a post PS,

Always nice to have a little background on our members.

When I was younger I took courses on appliance repair and recording engineering and dabbled a bit with this but eventually ended up as an electrician for 20+ years. My back started to give me problems so I bit the bullet and studied civil engineering and have been doing this for 'bout 5 years now. I design and administer land developmnent projects (subdivisions and site servicing) in the interior of British Columbia.
  • 03-11-2007, 05:56 AM
    flippo
    Babysitter
    I Babysit grown men, in other words I'm a Sr Correctional Officer in medium prison/county jail.

Flip
  • 03-11-2007, 07:21 AM
    N. Abstentia
    Nothing exciting here, either. I am with the IT group for the local power/water/gas company. We take care of six facilities, their websites, computers, all that good stuff. The thing I like is that since there are six different facilities, there is actually a lot of driving back and fourth. All the places are within 15 miles of each other, so it breaks up the day nicely and allows some time for some cruising and tune jamming :)
  • 03-11-2007, 07:32 AM
    Wireworm5
    I'm back in the taxi business. Which is my 16 year of driving taxi, I drove courier in between for about 5 years. Presently I drive a wheelchair taxi. We mostly transfer patients from hospitals, care homes as well as school. When I'm not busy with wheelchairs I'm on the regular fleet.
  • 03-11-2007, 10:36 AM
    scottcguidry
    I am a technician at a Ford dealership. My primary skills are diesel and gas performance.
  • 03-11-2007, 12:22 PM
    anamorphic96
    I am projection and sound technician for a theater service/supply company. I service local theaters in the LA area as well as San Diego and all the way out to Palm Springs. I also travel quite a bit for new installs. I was recently in Arizona and will be going back a couple more times this year.

It's not the greatest job in the world but I do enjoy the sound portion of the job. I also get to meet some very interesting people.

Before this I was projectionist for 10 years as well as managing several movie theaters.

Good topic to for discussion PS.
  • 03-11-2007, 12:47 PM
    drseid
    I am afraid mine is not that interesting...

I head up the distribution and contracts areas for a medium/large mail order B2C health products company (mostly vitamins and supplements).

---Dave
  • 03-11-2007, 02:07 PM
    icarus
    nice thread... I'm currently a business student, and in during the summer the I fight Forest Fires for the Government of BC...
  • 03-11-2007, 03:38 PM
    kexodusc
    Hey, always wondered about some of you.
    i'm a financial analyst, pipelines and utilities, though lately I'm focusing on risk management and portfolio performance measurements for institutional investors - mostly pension plans. Far from the exciting pilot/fireman job I thought I'd have when I was a kid.
  • 03-11-2007, 04:07 PM
    blackraven
    I'm an Emergnecy Medicine Physician at a busy hospital. Been doing it for 20years.
  • 03-11-2007, 04:31 PM
    superdougiefreshness
    Great Topic !
    Currently I am in the closeout to my jobsite and then will be laid off with severance from my financial processing job. Am looking at nursing schools, go ahead and laugh for I will make kick ass money and I will always work. "ALWAYS" and at the times I wish to work "for the most part" Past was everything from U.S. Navy hospital Corpsman, then flight attendent. And many a temp job in between that allows my better judgement to get my butt into some sort of schooling. My rent is very cheap for the city I live, car paid off and I already have a beautiful stereo/movie setup. I also live in my favorite neiborhood of San Diego in March. Going back to school as a single dude is the best thing at 44 years old and in good health. This could be the chance I have waited so long for. And yes I love comments.......

Later
    :22:
  • 03-11-2007, 06:04 PM
    jrhymeammo
    I've been working as a Logistics Coordinator for a company in Georgetown KY since the end of January. I get a nice little discount on Toyota products, but didnt get a dime off on a Scion TC I purchased last night. There goes the tube int/combo I was looking to get. It's a great oppotunity for me and I am excited. But I wouldnt suggest it for anyone who's looking to get an exotic system with their pay. Oh well:cornut:

Have a great week to all, except for the selected few.
  • 03-11-2007, 06:07 PM
    s dog
    Cleaning
    I have a small cleaning business, mostly clean office buildings, not getting rich but i make a living.
  • 03-11-2007, 06:55 PM
    blackraven
    Hey Superdougie, Nursing is a great field, there's a nation wide shortage of nurses and your right, you will always have a job. You will make very good money if you work in a hospital setting. Just make sure you go for RN vs LPN. We have many male nurses in our hospital! You'll probably get stuck with night shifts till you gain senority.
  • 03-11-2007, 08:29 PM
    Rock789
    I'm an Electrical Engineer (putting off the PE exam)...
    I am presently working at an engineering firm in the automation department...
    we do a lot of work in the natural gas industry...
  • 03-12-2007, 07:44 AM
    GMichael
    Great thread Mr. Flakes
    I worked at a research center for a few years as a Buyer. Was buying all kinds of electronics, lasers, chemicals etc for a bunch of mad scientist types. Went to school at night to get degrees in math and computer science. So now I'm still a Buyer. But at least I'm the top dog, running a small Purchasing department. We buy parts to repair printers and laptops.
  • 03-12-2007, 10:18 AM
    topspeed
    Some of my many duties:
    * Combat evil whenever it rears its ugly head
    * Ease human suffering and injustice
    * Quell riots
    * Overthrow dictatorships
    * Analyze barley and hops libations for quality
    * Verify Virgins

Whew!

When I can spare a moment, commercial/residential real estate development and sales.
  • 03-12-2007, 10:20 AM
    Resident Loser
    Well...
    ...as one can tell by my casual repartee and easy-going demeanor, being a hostage negotiator and doing volunteer work at a suicide hotline isn't it...

In-house systems tech...wires and cables and ones and zeros...

jimmHJJ(...that kinda' stuff...for a very, very long time...)
  • 03-12-2007, 10:43 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by topspeed
    Some of my many duties:
    * Combat evil whenever it rears its ugly head
    * Ease human suffering and injustice
    * Quell riots
    * Overthrow dictatorships
    * Analyze barley and hops libations for quality
    * Verify Virgins

Whew!

When I can spare a moment, commercial/residential real estate development and sales.

Captain America?
  • 03-12-2007, 10:52 AM
    topspeed
    At your service!