AR Newbie Registered Member

Snell E/II + H/K AVI 200, are they worth it?

Hi
    I've been looking for good speakers and some kind of amplifier for a while now. The only problem is I haven't got that much money to spend on it. I've tried listening to some b&w speakers (dm 603 s3, dm600 s3) and they really sound great. I'm in short looking for a warm full sound, not a disco-speaker. It should be able to play rock/metal aswell as mozart or vocal songs.(ok to describe this on my second language wasn't that easy, I hope I made some sense)

So while I was surfing around yesterday I found an ad about a Harman Kardon AVI 200 for ~200 $ and from the same seller a pair of Snell E/II for ~400$. I've been reading around a bit and from what I can tell the h/k is good as a startup reciever, but any opinions on it are very welcome.
    The Snell E/II's are harder to get information on, probably because they are a bit older. Talked to the seller today, he says they are in good condition and don't need to be renovated which I have understood can be an issue with old speakers.

So basically what I'm trying to figure out is this:
    1. Are they worth the money or is it to much to pay for them (both the h/k and the Snells)?
    2. Anyone know anything more about the Snell E/II's? Anyone have a picture I can see (Not that important, but still it's good to know that they at least semi-fit in)? Really, any information or experiences on these would be appreciated (their homepage wasn't that helpful, hehe).

Thank you

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The Snell E/II should look something like The new Audio Note E speakers scroll down http://www.triodeandco.com/ (the Snell won't have a shiny lacquer) The E in this picture is heavily suped up and runs a whopping $125k.

The best thing about the E/II is that it can be fully upgraded into very close to Audio Note speakers and IMO your $400.00 with a bit of work will probably thump every other $5k speaker I have heard over the years and most of the $10k ones as well. (you'll need to ask how to do all that on the audio note kits board at audioasylum.com

Audio Note bought the rights to the original Snell speakers and have upgraded and redesigned much of it but the box shape should be the same on the E/II. Snell didn;t use the same quality of wiring/cabinetry or drivers --- but for what you are paying they are very likely an excellent deal. (The amp not so much a deal).

The Snells, unlike the Audio Note's can't be placed in corners as effectively. I believe the Snell E/II comes with a rear firing tweeter as well -- this should be disconnected if possible. (Though you can experiment).

They are pretty cheap to repair -- basically the foam surround might need to be replaced -- you can do it yourself if your handy but even to pay someone would be under a $100.00 to do both speakers.

The Snells were good speakers in their own right -- Stereophile seemed to like everything they put out (but they like everything everyone puts out pretty much --- but still).

Suspended
    I'm not sure of the model but I heard a pair of Snell and I liked them much better than the Paradigm or Boston Acoustic we were comparing them to. HK I haven't had an opportunity to hear lately but they used to make great receivers. Them or Onkyo would be my pick of mass market type brands. I don't know your currency so I can't say if these are a good deal.

Try a www.google.com search for the Snells. It may bring up an old article.

Forum Regular

That's not a bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Biack
    Hi
    I've been looking for good speakers and some kind of amplifier for a while now. The only problem is I haven't got that much money to spend on it. I've tried listening to some b&w speakers (dm 603 s3, dm600 s3) and they really sound great. I'm in short looking for a warm full sound, not a disco-speaker. It should be able to play rock/metal aswell as mozart or vocal songs.(ok to describe this on my second language wasn't that easy, I hope I made some sense)

So while I was surfing around yesterday I found an ad about a Harman Kardon AVI 200 for ~200 $ and from the same seller a pair of Snell E/II for ~400$. I've been reading around a bit and from what I can tell the h/k is good as a startup reciever, but any opinions on it are very welcome.
    The Snell E/II's are harder to get information on, probably because they are a bit older. Talked to the seller today, he says they are in good condition and don't need to be renovated which I have understood can be an issue with old speakers.

So basically what I'm trying to figure out is this:
    1. Are they worth the money or is it to much to pay for them (both the h/k and the Snells)?
    2. Anyone know anything more about the Snell E/II's? Anyone have a picture I can see (Not that important, but still it's good to know that they at least semi-fit in)? Really, any information or experiences on these would be appreciated (their homepage wasn't that helpful, hehe).

Thank you
    ...price for the Es. About a year ago, a pawn shop had these for sale along with some gorgeous Conrad-Johnson equipment! Everything in this shop seems priced a bit too high, and I believe they were asking $800. $400 seems like a fair price.

As far as sound goes, I like these w-a-y better than the KIIs I had... these were severely colored and "constipated", if you will. The Es, on the other hand, are more open. A few words I would choose to describe them would be quick, tight, warm, and slightly dark.

After hearing these, I wouldn't be quite as enthusiastic as RGA (err... who is? :*) but they are a Hell of a lot better than a lot of the thin-sounding speakers in that price range. For the money invested, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I also think these are equipped with the rear ambience tweeter... might add some spaciousness and air to your soundstage. Might not do too much at all depending on your set-up. IIRC, there is a level control for the rear.

I know nothing about the HK, but would definitely recommend the Es.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thank you for all the answers!
    It's always good to hear opinions on these things!
    I'm going to think about this for a while now and see how I do with it!

Thread Information