Question Should AR members have a voice in choosing moderators?

I don't know which guidelines are used to choose moderators, but it might have not been a bad idea to give members also a chance to vote for their moderators.

Just a thought

cam
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    I don't know which guidelines are used to choose moderators, but it might have not been a bad idea to give members also a chance to vote for their moderators.

Just a thought
    Hey Smokey, I'm sure glad you got your old picture back. The one you changed it to was cool but it just wasn't you. As to your post, alot of members here don't even know who ToddB or 996turbo or others are anyways. I don't think a vote would be any good. I know some people may have had problems before with some of these now moderaters and I'm sure in do time they may get exposed, or maybe not.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

nope

Just a thought
    havent you ever gotten a new supervisor? did you get to vote? NOPE!

the children here have been acting up for too long and someone pulled the plug! and its about damned time! time will tell if it was the right move but i suspect it was. civility is priceless.
    ...regards...tr

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Last time I checked, this website was proprietary to the shareholders and not a freakin' democracy, so no, I don't think, voting moderators in is required. It might have been a nice gesture though. Same with releasing the criteria for being a moderator/administrator...maybe they did and I just haven't bothered to look.

I've been to forums where voting was done...you suspiciously get 200 new members in the few days prior to the election that never seem to return...or you have to leave out honest newbies from the process, and consequently from having any input into the future directions of the forum.

Could you imagine the flame wars that would errupt if campaigns were held here?

Quote Originally Posted by cam
    Hey Smokey, I'm sure glad you got your old picture back. As to your post, alot of members here don't even know who ToddB or 996turbo or others are anyways
    Hi Cam

Since Sir TT is moderator of HT forum, I feel safer showing my picture again...in case Nick's posse shows up. I know TT will take care of them. That is if he don't run away like last time

As for moderator, I don't know who is ToddB or 996turbo either. But I guess it doesn't matter as long they play even handed.

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    The children here have been acting up for too long and someone pulled the plug.
    I really don't know what you mean by members acting up. We had a troll problem with the old forum, but since the new forum been in place, this place been pretty much civilized. Unless you count the naysayer's comments or views as acting up

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I've been to forums where voting was done...you suspiciously get 200 new members in the few days prior to the election that never seem to return.
    One way to get around that is to let only members vote that have been here over three months, or over certain number of posts posted by them
    Last edited by Smokey; 08-22-2004 at 04:47 PM.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    One way to get around that is to let only members vote that have been here over three months, or over certain number of posts posted by them
    I would have you refer to my last post...
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    ...or you have to leave out honest newbies from the process, and consequently from having any input into the future directions of the forum.

I have to stand up for the good newbie...just because we're here longer, doesn't mean we're entitled to anymore say on the direction of the forum...

(lol...wonder if anybody else has "quoted" themselves? )

oh children,

"I really don't know what you mean by members acting up"

the children know who they are.
    ...regards...tr

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Hi Cam

Since Sir TT is moderator of HT forum, I feel safer showing my picture again...in case Nick's posse shows up. I know TT will take care of them. That is if he don't run away like last time

Hey!!! I didn't run away. I walked very quickly. Dang, the guy filled me with so many holes, I could double as a lawn sprinkler, whatsa guy to do???

This time Smoke, I have special ammo for Nickster ;>P

As far as voting for moderators, well that would have been a nice gesture, but filled with many problems. Popularity contests(which is what this would turn out to be) do not often turn out the best people. There are also various attempts to stack the results, which are not fair to all parties. In this situation I could not see how this could have been done this way without a considerable investment of time and energy. You can trust Eric, he is a cool guy I assure you.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Hey!!! I didn't run away. I walked very quickly.
    Does this looks like walking away quickly

As long as moderators let voices of both side of issues be heard, they will not hear a complaint from me
    Last edited by Smokey; 08-23-2004 at 09:06 PM.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Does this looks like walking away quickly

As long as moderators let voices of both side of issues be heard, they will not hear a complaint from me
    Okay, so my pace was a little fast for most, I'm a New Yorker, we walk VERY fast!!! :>P
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

a NEWYORKER eh?!

i KNEW it! being from buffalo, i could almost FEEL it. yeah, people here in so cal havent the slightest idea how to walk quickly through a crowd. on numerous occasions, i have looked behind me and seen that i had a few people following through as if i had plowed a path.

i know that i'm not a REAL newyorker, that appellation is only for those who refer to their home only as NEW YORK. they feel no need to qualify that further. but like many a real NYer, i am a born wiseass. ;^)

ok now, everyone chime in at ONCE!
    ...regards...tr

Thread Information