Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: S O S ))))

AR Newbie Registered Member

Talking S O S ))))

Hi there!
    I've bought mp3 player to listen to my music downloaded online...
    But a trouble happened - it's impossinle to transfer it to iPod!!!!!!!
    Any suggestions???

Yes!!

Quote Originally Posted by droid
    Hi there!
    I've bought mp3 player to listen to my music downloaded online...
    But a trouble happened - it's impossinle to transfer it to iPod!!!!!!!
    Any suggestions???

Yes, it's possible to transfer mp3's to your iPod. You do this by first importing the files into you iTunes Library.

In iTunes, go to the menu; select Files > Add File to Library, Add Folder to Library, or Import; select the desired files or folder and iTunes will import them to your Library. From there you can copy them manually to your iPod, or iTunes will do it automatically depending on your Preference settings.

That's why I bought a Sandisk Sansa instead of an iPod..no proprietary software and it's not limited to just one format

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Ok, I hope you're joking NA. It's not limited to one format. It supports AIFF, WAV, MP3, and Apples AAC and Lossless. And although the software is propriatary, it is distributed FREE. Its FREEWARE! Free for everybody.

And, if you don't have an iPod you can still use this FREE iTunes program to manage your own MP3 library, whether downloaded from other sites or created yourself, or to rip your own CDs to any of the above formats at your choice of bitrates where applicable.

That's not to say i wouldn't greatly appreciate drag and drop copying of nested directories like you have with your Sansa. But the difference is really pretty trivial.

Just fighting the forces of ignorance and mis-information, which ever is applicable.

I just don't like the fact that Apple forces you to use iTunes. No thanks.

I've never heard of AIFF, and I don't have a Mac so AAC is out also.

That leaves WAV and MP3. I don't have any MP3's. WMA sounds much better so I support that format. Putting WAV's on a iPod defeats the purpose, no? Besides, how many WAV files can you put on a 512k iPod? Part of 1 CD's worth?

Forced propreitary software.
    Propreitary battery.
    No WMA support.
    No iPod for me!

A few more minor corrections/informations...

AAC is supported on the Windows version as well, it is not Mac specific. If you own a PC you can download AAC files from the iTunes Store and load them on your iPod. You can also use iTunes to encode your CD’s to AAC.

AIFF is the Mac equivalent of WAV. For all practical purposes they are identical, and iTunes supports both AIFF and WAV.

Apple would support WMA, except that WMA is a PROPRIETARY format and Microsoft forces every vendor that incorporates it to pay licensing fees. Apple has chosen not to license. Flip a coin as to whose the 'bad' guy.

That said, you're right- You need to use iTunes to manage the music you put on your iPod. But that music can come from any source.

On a Mac, WMA sucks because Microsoft doesn't produce decent software to support it for the Mac platform. But that's Ok because AAC is equally good if not superior. You, on the other hand, can't really claim to know WMA sounds better because you've never heard AAC. At least I can claim to have heard and used both formats on my Mac. Indistinguishable to my ears.

I can see why a PC user would possibly find WMA more useful. But that's all due to Microsoft’s intentions to dominate that market segment by strong-arming the adoption of WMA and profiting from the licensing fees that they earn from their proprietary format. Nothing wrong with that, that's how corporations work.

So, it's perfectly fine to support one kind of proprietary format (WMA) over another (AAC). But, try to realize that's what you are doing. It's also fine to prefer a portable device that you can drag files over to using the same interface you do for other disk transfers. But, in reality there's little difference in the number of keystrokes/drags/clicks using the iTunes interface. It just looks different.

Thanks so much....... I'll try )))))))

I think your media is protected - i use drm-convertors... Soundaxi for example...
    http://www.soundtaxi.info/ It operates fast (up to 15x) & supports all popular media stores & music file formats.

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    That's why I bought a Sandisk Sansa instead of an iPod..no proprietary software and it's not limited to just one format
    If this stupid ipod is so limited .......... perhaps a right decision )
    Thank u 2

Quote Originally Posted by droid
    If this stupid ipod is so limited .......... perhaps a right decision )
    Thank u 2
    If you can't get an unprotected MP3 onto your iPod the limitation is in the user, not in the iPod, as there are millions of iPod users who experience no difficulty doing exactly what you wish to do.

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    A few more minor corrections/informations...

AAC is supported on the Windows version as well, it is not Mac specific. If you own a PC you can download AAC files from the iTunes Store and load them on your iPod. You can also use iTunes to encode your CD’s to AAC.
    So it's not really supported by Windows, it's just supported by Apple's own iTunes software that works on Windows. Still..no thanks. None of my DVD or CD players support AAC. I don't really care at all for the iTunes store, I prefer the 15-20 different choices available through Windows Media Player.

As far as the sound quality I was comparing WMA to MP3, like you said I have not heard AAC so I was not comparing it to that. But again, I don't want a Mac and none of my music players support AAC so it's a non-issue for me. It's hard to beat the universal acceptance of WMA and MP3.

Sorry if I seem harsh, I've just been anti-iPod ever since I tried one and found out it would not support multiple formats, had a propreitary non replaceable battery, and forced you to use one software package to use it. Plus Apple's stupid new commercials are so misleading it just makes me laugh when I think that Bill Gates is the one keeping Apple alive these days just so he can have some competition

You've got some valid reasons to prefer your Sanza. Nothing wrong with being harsh. There's been a lot of mis-information put out in the media (even publications like the NY Times) about iPod compatibility that simple fact checking would prove is not true. The battery issue is a legitamate gripe. I wish EVERYthing would run off AAA NiMH rechargables, frankly. But the iPod does support multiple formats just not WMA. But then Windoz doesn't support AAC.
    Apple would have to pay Microsoft if they added WMA support. If they were hurting for sales, I'm sure they would add it. I understand the chip in the iPod will handle WMA, it's just not turned on...

Yeah but the difference is...Windows doesn't need AAC. Windows has WMA, MP3, and of course WAV. I'm sure Microsoft doesn't mind letting AAC stay with the 4% of the market share that Apple has

Sorry. Couldn't resist!

N. Absentia: you need to stop perpetuating misinformationn about the iPod and its software interface, iTunes. You've been corrected several times in several threads, yet you continue. It helps no one when you do this. If someone posts a technical question about the functionality of an iPod, it's not an occasion for you to articluate your disdain for this product. It will just further any confusion or frustration of a poster. You don't like iPod. We get it. You dn't like Apple. We get it. It's no reason to disseminate false information.

NoddinOff: good job. Would have been here earlier but I slept in today.

Yeah but the difference is...Windows doesn't need AAC. Windows has WMA, MP3, and of course WAV. I'm sure Microsoft doesn't mind letting AAC stay with the 4% of the market share that Apple has

Sorry. Couldn't resist!
    A sporting dig to be sure. A little fact checking and I'd point out that Apple has 80% market share for portable music players. And the following article highlights the Sanza players as the second leading device. Mac OS also 'has' MP3 and WAV as well as AAC and Lossless. While Microsoft doesn't need AAC, they sure want to be just like Apple in this case. It appears that the forces backing WMA are trying to lock everything up in one bundle, just like Apple has already so elegantly done. It basically looks like they are going to implement a very similar DRM strategy as the one Apple innovated years ago. They will however add a subscription service, something Apple doesn't currently have.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&type=business

i love my iPod 5G, not because it expensive or the accesories, i just think it's really easy to use, integrates very well with my comps, and there are literally thousands of accesories, some good some bad, but w/e

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    N. Absentia: you need to stop perpetuating misinformationn about the iPod and its software interface, iTunes. You've been corrected several times in several threads, yet you continue.
    Soo...an iPod does NOT require iTunes? I can in fact drag & drop WMA files to it with Windows Explorer?

Methinks you might be in over your head here...

A sporting dig to be sure. A little fact checking and I'd point out that Apple has 80% market share
    Acutally I was talking about Apple as a whole, not just one of their products.

And I was acutally wrong by saying they have 4% market share, I was misinformed. It's closer to 2% according to Macworld!

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/03...hare/index.php

Acutally I was talking about Apple as a whole, not just one of their products.

And I was acutally wrong by saying they have 4% market share, I was misinformed. It's closer to 2% according to Macworld!

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/03...hare/index.php
    Hey! Now your mis-representing rounding errors! That alleged 2% is really 2.88%, which should round up to 3%!

Jeez, no slack with you...

edit: but those are 2004 figures. A lot has changed. It might be a solid 3% world wide now. But in the US the numbers are easily double that!
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/17/tech...pple_earnings/

"While industry estimates place Apple's current percentage share of the personal computing market in the low single digits, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said that while 2005 was the year of the iPod, 2006 could be "the year of the Mac."

Doherty agrees, saying he thinks the company could double its market share of the worldwide personal computing market from an estimated 3 or 4 percent to 6 to 8 percent in 2006."

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/17/tech...pple_earnings/
    Last edited by noddin0ff; 06-01-2006 at 02:17 PM.

Soo...an iPod does NOT require iTunes? I can in fact drag & drop WMA files to it with Windows Explorer?

Methinks you might be in over your head here...
    iTunes is a drag and drop system; it can automate the process or the use can do it manually. I admit I am at a total loss over your complaint of iTunes. I jsut don't get it. Computer users across the board are required to utilize certain programs to achieve certain tasks and goals all the time. I just don't get what you have such contempt for. Should I complain that I have to use a word processing program to write a letter. Should I shake my fist at Microsoft and WordPerfect, etc. and declare: how dare they FORCE me to use their program to write a letter? Do you complain that you are FORCED to use a program to burn an audio, photo, or data disk? What about DVD shrink? Ed "The Herson" Gein can't thank you enough for turning him on to that program, yet not a word of contempt for that process. iTunes is free, a stable program with free updates, it's a complete asset for orgranizaing storing and having customized dominion over digital music files. I don't see one liability in using the program. Once again, I just don't get what you're so furious over. You're an intelligent man who contributes alot to this forum, but as soon as someone ask a question about an iPod, you throw off your garb of technical prowess and answer with disdain. How someone like you can complain about a free, functional, and highly advantageous program is beyond me. Sure that is your perogative, but I just ask, stop with the misinformation, and you know what that is. Don't try and toss me selective bits of your response as a mediocre attempt to throw me off guard.

Hey! Now your mis-representing rounding errors! That alleged 2% is really 2.88%, which should round up to 3%!

Jeez, no slack with you...

edit: but those are 2004 figures. A lot has changed. It might be a solid 3% world wide now. But in the US the numbers are easily double that!
    I would actually have a Mac if they weren't so expensive and 'closed' systems. If the parts could be bought and a PC put together easily like with a PC I would have one. I actually think they're pretty cool, I just can't justify buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Should I complain that I have to use a word processing program to write a letter. Should I shake my fist at Microsoft and WordPerfect
    Well the difference is..if you don't like WordPerfect, you could use:

Word
    Notepad
    WordPad
    OpenOffice
    Star Office

Or any number of word processing programs that are available.

If you don't like iTunes, what are your options?

Forum Regular
    [QUOTE=If you don't like iTunes, what are your options?[/QUOTE]

N. Abstentia, I agree with you on not liking the ipod.

My friend has a lot of songs he downloaded from itunes and will replace his ipod when it breaks again. He was on his 5th refurbed 4th gen. This last one went past the 90 day refurb warranty. When he gets another player it will not play itunes download music. Yes I know you can rip it off with a program, but the mass public will not.

I do not or Itunes and Quicktime on my computer. They install way to many memory resident programs and will slow your computer down.

AAC is a better sounding format than mp3 but locks you into an ipod. Coincidentally this is the best sounding lossy format on the ipod. No Ogg Vorbis support.

Comes with no extras. ex. FM radio, microphone, case. These are all extra. You have to make an appointment to bring your broken ipod in to an apple store, you just can walk in.

Market share means nothing. I can show you time and time again that better marketing will sell more than better product.

Itunes songs will kill your battery faster by up to 25% less battery life.

I agree with Apple, I would not pay to support WMA either.

Finally there are always better products out than the ones most consumers own. Look at your stereo equipment people.

I will never own a iPod like I will never own a BOSE.

Greg
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    PSB Image T65
    PSB Image C60
    PSB Image S50
    Yamaha YST-SW1500
    Mitsubishi WS-55807
    Sony DVP-NC875V SACD
    Logitech Harmony 880
    Iriver Ihp-120 MP3 Player

Quote Originally Posted by HAVIC

I will never own a iPod like I will never own a BOSE.

Greg
    You beat me to it. I was walking around today thinking about this whole iPod thing and it hit me...iPod = Bose!

Think about it...

1) Both are sold mainly because of the 'look cool' factor.
    2) Both have more market share despite superior products that sell for less being readily available.
    3) Sales driven my marketing instead of performance.
    4) Closed systems..if it breaks, throw it away.
    5) Rely on marketing.
    6) Does not work with competitors products.
    7) Lots of marketing.
    8) Serious music listeners avoid them.
    9) Did I mention marketing?

... a 512k iPod? Part of 1 CD's worth?....
    a 512K ipod??? strange...

Mine is 40gigs... (well on my second 40gig, first one is all full)
    "In search of the eternal buzz ..." - Bumper Sticker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information