Thread: Receiver Life??

luvs2jam60

Receiver Life??

I have a Sony receiver. It's nothing special, about 4 or 5 years old, and only has Dolby Digital/Pro Logic tech in it, as far as surround is concerned. It overheated on me about 3 years ago and had to get the power supply repaired, however that was because I idiolically put my CD player on top of it (I was only 15 at the time, cut me some slack). I am wondering if I should be worried about the lifetime of it and how much longer it will last me. It is on about 7 hours a day (I live in a dorm, so you know how that is) and does not have a cooling system, and there is about 1 in on the sides for venting and about 3 in on the top. Should I worried about it overheating again and shorting out? Keep in mind it is an old receiver, and I know its difficult unless one were to actually reserach the exact product, but I was wondering if anybody knew a general rule-of-thumb about this. I know of receivers 10 and 15 years old that still run fine, but I'm guessing those were 10 or 15 years of TLC. If anybody could help, that would be awesome. For reference, its a Sony STR-DE435. Thanks!

Lightbulb heres my 10 cents...

I have had the same type of thing happen from overdriving a receiver, basically just pushing it too hard, so I may have some valid advice for ya. First of all, it IS a SONY, so not to knock them, but they are prone overall to power supply and overheating issues in the first place, but I think as long as you don't push it to really noisy,distorting levels, and keep about 5 to 6" of clearance on the top, and keep the space around it free of obstructions, then you should be fine, and 4-5 years on a receivers life in NOTHING as long as it has been treated well. If you're rediculous like me, you treat you audio equip as you would a very loved pet or expensive piece of furniture, just like a car with 200,000 miles on it, if it was taken care of it will run even more. Hope this helps.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    My experience with Sony over the past few years has actually been pretty solid. They make some of the better quality DVD and CD players on the market, and some of their newer receivers have power supplies that put them on par with the likes of Pioneer, Denon, H/K, and Yamaha.

Last year I solicited several opinions from a/v technicians, and I was quite surprised when they told me that Sony's quality for most items is actually above average. The general consensus was their entry level gear was the worst stuff. But percentage wise Sony was no worse than the so-called higher-end companies, only they sold much more, so absolute number of bad reviews, problems, etc was higher.

I haven't bought hundreds of Sony's to test this out but I'd love to see someone follow up on this.

General rule of thumb is that electronics gear either fails early, or very late. Unless of course it is over-driven. Sounds like you're okay.

My mom and dad had a Sony STR-de635 for about 4 years that they never shut off, and drove very hard until I gave them my old Marantz and Yamaha receivers. That thing is now being tortured by my younger sister in her apartment.

It'd be nice if this was a trend for Sony products...

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Had a Panasonic for 30 years,in all my apartments,during my single life and in my house, always the main reciever and on most the time. Never a problem and my wife has had a Denon at work running 6 speakers for 8 years,on all day,6 days aweek,no problems.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    I've killed 2 sony es receiver >8). Within 3 years.
    Definitive Technology Fan, Owner and Advocate!!!!! never paying retail IS half the fun of buying audio products!!!! Good shopping!

Thread Information