Forum Regular

AudioReview Classifieds.

I recently posted something for sell on the AuioReview classified section, and I must say I'm dissapointed. I'm not really blaming AudioReview, in fact I liked their system and it was fairly easy to post an ad. What I'm talking about is the endless number of low life scammers out there. I had my ad up for two days and recieved emails from about 6 differen't "buyers" that were obvious scams, you know that ol " my agent ( what is this James Bond?) from xxx country will send u the check blah blah" and it was rather fatiguing. It's a shame you can't even post something for sell without some moron trying to rip you off, probabaly some coward that would never try and rob someone in person because they'd get beat up by some little girl and arrested. I'm not completely dismissing the classified section of this site, but if you use it be prepared to get tons and tons of emails from scammers.

Music / Hi-Fi enthusiast Les Adams's Avatar
    You can't blame the site! Trust me it happens all the time, everywhere.

I have had exactly the same problems on Ebay. Just ignore them and delete the messages DO NOT under any circumstances reply to them. It certainly is not a reason to stop using such sites as there are far more genuine buyers than scammers. It sounds as though you may just have been unlucky this time, but if you get a sale out of it in the end it is all worth while.

If these offers are coming via email, I suggest you get yourself "Mail washer pro" or similar Email editor. Mail washer allows you to look at and read all your mail before you open Outlook Express, so the sender can not tell you opened it. Any spam or undesireable mail can be "bounced". That means it returns a message to the sender saying "Undeliverable mail" and it looks to them as though your address is incorrect or does not exist. I started using it about a year ago and I now get about two items of undesireable mail a month, as opposed to the 20 a day I was getting. It also helps you edit your messages and even reply to them without opening outlook.

"Mailwasher" is free. A Google search will lead you to the site where you can download it.
    STEREO

Garrard 401 Turntable mounted in Skeletal Oak Plinth /
    Ringmat 330 MKII XLR
    SME 3009-S2-imp Arm (Fixed shell)
    Shure V15Vxmr Cartridge
    Trichord Dino Phono Stage
    Arcam Alpha 8SE CD Player / Ringmat CDi Blue
    Quad 99 Pre-amp
    Quad 909 Power Amp
    Audiovector M2 Loudspeakers
    Silverlink Aero Bi-Wire Speaker Cables

AV
    Denon AVR3801A/V Receiver (pre out to aux input of Quad 99 for front L + R)
    JBL Centre Speaker
    Gale Satellites for rear L + R

Interconnects are Van Den Hul 102 mk3

I recently placed my LCD Projector and Screen on ebay. They retail for about 1600$ new, and i wanted 400$ at least. I got many offers, one of which was: "I give you 250$ incl. shipping". I answered:"I would rather let it collect dust than that"-

:-)
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Question Wow what a different experience then mine.

I just sold a near mint Peavey TL-5 bass guitar on the bay. A guy in Wash. State used buy it now, paid via paypal. Wrote me to tell me he loved the bass and left great feedback. Doesn't get any better then that. Of course my ad was VERY SPECIFIC about who I'd accept bids from and how I'd accept payment. Don't let this one bad experience sour you on online sales. There's a lot of nice people out there (and some jerks to be sure) just waiting to pay you money for your gear.

Da Worfster

Linear Guy

bad e-mail responses

Ive been trying to sellsome audio gear and so - far the scam artists ( actually artists is way too complimentary ) have it about 10 to 1 over valid responses. One guy actually tried to scam me out of subwoofer when I ws trying to sell an amplifier. He was too lazy to edit his scam spam. Be careful out there. dk

Only 2
    44 ebay purchases since 2001, I did as much research as I could on each seller and am 44/44 on the good side. Also my 4 sales have all been welcomed by the buyers 4/4.

But I can easily see how deals go bad and understand a little more since reading all this.

Even at 44/44 Il be even more cautious than ever. Its just so hard to justify the prices of new gear nowadays when for as little as 20% I can have the same thing.

Great thread with some eye popping points, TNX
    There's a solution for that problem,
    Its called 2 channels

Forum Regular

You should have to register

I agree with the bad e-mails after you post something on this site.
    I think an easy way to fix it would be that anyone replying must
    register as an audio review user, and audio review will sent you
    the e-mail. Your e-mail address will never show.
    JVC RXDP-10 Reciever
    7 OutlawAudio M-200 monoblocks
    Infinity IL-60 Mains
    Infinity IL-36c Center
    Infinity IL-50 Surrounds
    Infinity IL-10 Back Surrounds
    SVS PB12-ULTRA/2
    Mitsubishi 65" hdtv
    Douglas theater seating

Linear Guy
    [QUOTE=twochannelsonly]44 ebay purchases since 2001, I did as much research as I could on each seller and am 44/44 on the good side. Also my 4 sales have all been welcomed by the buyers 4/4.

I agree and I have assembled a system or two from E-bay purchases without any dificulties. E-bay has the advantage because it is heavily monitored for quality and requires registration. These mesures are probably beyond the budget of Audio Review however some method of response registration might be worth looking into because the problem of scammers is a large one.

Thread Information