Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Question Positive (or negative) experiences with etronics and other on-line retailers?

As some of you know, I'm in pursuit of a "hatrick" (which I define as three sales made based on my advice-mostly obtained from this forum).
    I've never purchased anything from an online retailer such as "etronics" or audio advisor. I figure in another month or two I'll have enough money to buy myself an RX-V1400.

I have found a potential guinea pig in a friend/co-worker of mine who is thinking of purchasing a Denon or Yamaha unit from etronics very soon (based on price alone).

I've always recommended avoiding dealing with merchants online, mostly for warranty purposes, but etronics claim to repair any problems at no expense anyway during the would-be warranty period. It's no fun being without a receiver for 3 weeks, but for 200 or 300 bucks, it's almost worth the chance.

I'm just getting old, out of touch, and too set in my ways? Am I a sucker for paying too much?

Can anyone share any positive or negative buying experiences (especially buying either brand of receiver) from online retailers (etronics, audioadvisor, jandr etc.) to pursuade us one way or another?

Thanks in advance...

Forum Regular

A suggestion for evaluating online sellers......

Greetings;

you shared:
    "I've always recommended avoiding dealing with merchants online, mostly for warranty purposes, but etronics claim to repair any problems at no expense anyway during the would-be warranty period. It's no fun being without a receiver for 3 weeks, but for 200 or 300 bucks, it's almost worth the chance."

I won't belabor my opinion of etronics.com that I wrote about in a previous post.

However, perhaps a suggestion of something that I have found helpful..........

BEFORE ordering take a good look at their customer rating. Not the number mind you, that is probably false, as it is way too easy for merchandisers to write lots of glowing praises. Rather, click on the rating and take a good look at the negative ratings and see exactly what people have had problems with when ordering from them.

Note well when sellers state items are in stock, when in fact they are not. Note especially well how people were treated when there was a problem with shipping, defects, etc.

That should give you a good feel for what you might be in for if something was to happen.

As the saying goes, "once bitten, twice shy". Or perhaps "fool me once....."

Good luck.

Forum Regular

Web brousers are very useful

if you try the right key words, like "reseller rating".

http://www.resellerratings.com/rlist-s1.html

http://www.photo.net/neighbor/one-subcategory?id=2&id=2

and so on..........

Audio Advisor is reliable, they deliver what they promise, and sometimes their prices are quite fair. You can subscribe to their weekly email offers. But they do have a large, fancy operation which had to be financed with sales profits.....

6ave.com will deliver what they promise and when they promise.... or sooner. If 6ave.com lists the 'full list price' it means they are out-of-stock and they do not want you to order until the item is back in stock.......

I bought two Panasonic SA-HE100 from 6ave.com, one as a gift, for an average of $216 delivered. 4 days or shorter delivery. The SA-HE100 is quite nice sounding. One of these days I will try mine with my low-tier Magnepans (not the Tympani).

In house repairs? It's like Clint said "Do ya feel lucky today?"

At least with dealer support you can count on them having help and support of the team that designed them. ...not to mention access to the needed parts on a fairly timely basis. Likewise, the odds of them getting it right the first time might tend to be better.

Thread Information