Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Reference recordings?

Reference recordings?

With my Pass amp arriving in 2 days, I have been pondering what Cd's I will listen too the first few days. I have a few in mind. I was curious as to what other people's reference or audiophile recordings were. I have an eclectic taste in music and listen to Jazz, Vocal Jazz, Blue's, Rock, Acoustic, some Classical, New Age and a little bit of Country music. I have a few recordings in mind.

So lets hear what recordings you guys would listen too!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

The Reference Records label has some excellent sounding recordings. The were very well know for using HDCD technology and more recently SACD, 24/176.4 on DVD-R data disc, and LPs.

One of my favorite references is of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, Firebird, and Song of the Nightingale played by Eiji Oue and the Minnesota Orchestra. My version is from HDTracks, hi-rez 24/88.2.

I like choral music very much for reference listening. First, another Reference Recording, this one John Rutter's Requiem, etc., this time HDCD. I ripped this to ALAC which is what I listen to; (my Foobar2000 player has an HDCD decoder plugin).

Another choral I use a lot is a hi-rez recording of Bach cantatas Nos. 82a, 146 & 199 performed by Florilegium and soprano Johanette Zomer, also 24/8.2.

Name:  folder.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  81.1 KB

Suspended
    Anything by Marcus Miller
    SRV - Tin Pan Alley
    Govt Mule - Mule

Most of the stuff off my old Rippin Good Fusion or Smooth Jazz Pizazz comps if you still have them.

I really don't have any direct recommendations for you because what you like as reference might not be what I like. What I did when I first got my Pass was first I took all the music that I had been into that last couple of months and played them first so that I had a direct comparison to the system before that was still fresh in my memory, and most of these titles sound good with recording quality changing from each piece but most were great recordings. Then I picked some of my all time favorites from over the years and listened to those. What I had noticed with both the latest and the favorites was I was missing so much with my older setup that the Pass brought out that this music took on a whole other feeling to me because of the inner detail I had not noticed before.

Then I listened to music that I thought sounded bad on the system before to see if this was still the case. To my surprise some of them were but a lot of them again took on another feel and sound that really showed me that the quality of the equipment can make a piece of music great while on cheap stuff the song just plain sucks.

I do not know how this will go for you because I stepped up from a under $1000 amp to my Pass and you are going from a $2500 Parasound Halo to a $8000 Pass amp retail wise so the change might be a little more subtle for you but you might be surprised at the difference as well.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Harley, I am expecting more than a subtle change with the Pass. I took home a $3K Van Alstine 600R Hybrid tube amp to review for Mr. Van Alstine and the step up in sound was huge compared to the A21. If the difference between the Pass and the A21 is subtle, then I will sell the Pass and probably buy a used ARC tube amp or even a used pair of the Nuforce Model 9se version 2 monoblocks.

As far a music, I am not really looking for suggestions as much as looking at what other people like which in turn may turn me on to new music and stimulate some conversation on this forum.

I have several XRCD's, Blue Coast Music, Cowboy Junkies, Vocalists, Jazz and a couple of Telarc Classical music samplers that I like for their pristine recordings.

Unfortunately, I am in a Las Vegas for a medical conference and won't be home when the Pass amp arrives. I get back home on wed. night.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

From all the Pass owners that I have read about on forums and talked to I don't think that you will be unimpressed by the Pass. I am not sure exactly what attributes you like with your sound in comparison to mine but I hope you will be as happy with yours as I have with mine.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    From all the Pass owners that I have read about on forums and talked to I don't think that you will be unimpressed by the Pass. I am not sure exactly what attributes you like with your sound in comparison to mine but I hope you will be as happy with yours as I have with mine.
    I like high resolution, detail, transparency and a wide sound stage with tight deep bass, clear non fatiguing treble and a smooth liquid sound. I don't care for a too forward sound. My Parasound gives me detail, very tight controlled deep bass and fast pace ( it should with a dampening factor over 1000 and a very high slew rate) but treble could be a little more detailed and it could have more transparency. When I had the 600R in my system, it gave the impression of much more space between between instruments and the sound stage seemed like it extended out beyond the walls of my room. Even compressed recordings like Fleetwood Mac Rumors sounded uncompressed. I am looking for more of that with the X250. I also expect it to be effortless like my A21 which was 400wpc and had 60 peak amps which is 40 amps more than the Pass. The A21 actually specs out better than the Pass but specs don't always equal good sound. However, I do find it interesting that the A21 has 3 times the peak current of the X250 and my Maggies love current and power. I know that I won't be disappointed by the Pass amp.
    Last edited by blackraven; 09-30-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    peterBj likes this.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Dire Straits -Brother in Arms

Just a very well engineered CD that allows you evaluate just about all ranges your gear can produce.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    be a little more subtle for you but you might be surprised at the difference as well.

AR Newbie Registered Member

music for new equipment

I recommend these recordings from ECM,Sound Liaison and Reference Recordings.
    They are all brand new recordings available as Hi Rez downloads.
    Since they are all new, they have been recorded with the latest state of the art equipment and the sound quality proves that point.
    All three albums have been nominated for best album 2013 in various magazines,online magazines and forums,and are the best ''sounding'' in my collection.

Home - Keith Jarrett / Gary Peacock / Jack DeJohnette | Somewhere | ECM 2200 - ECM Records

Keith Jarrett;Somewhere',
    The Neue Zürcher Zeitung headlined its review of the show “Kontrollierte Ekstase” – controlled ecstasy

Carmen Gomes Inc.- SSS no.1

Carmen Gomes Inc.;Thousand Shades of Blue
    Sound Liaison, producing recordings available only in 24-bit/96kHz downloads that mirror the master recording. And man, are they ever sweet. I've seldom heard recordings that were so successful in both performance and sound aspects.-Rad Bennett,SoundStage!

Reference Recordings - RR-130 Detail

Doug Macleod;There's a time
    ..impeccable playing, impassioned singing, and his engaging personality shines forth in a live setting. It all makes for a very enjoyable if very traditional experience." —Robert Baird, Stereophile
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by peterBj; 11-29-2013 at 05:31 AM.
    Maudi likes this.

I will have to check those out. I have a couple of ECM recordings and they are excellent quality, I have Doug Macleod on an XRCD
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

do you have Norah Jones come away with me. I have that album on High res download 24/196 and it sounds really good for testing to midrange quality and how well female vocals are presented with your system. I do not know how good the cd or sacd sounds since mine is a download.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by peterBj View Post
    I recommend these recordings from ECM,Sound Liaison and Reference Recordings.
    They are all brand new recordings available as Hi Rez downloads.
    Since they are all new, they have been recorded with the latest state of the art equipment and the sound quality proves that point.
    All three albums have been nominated for best album 2013 in various magazines,online magazines and forums,and are the best ''sounding'' in my collection.

Home - Keith Jarrett / Gary Peacock / Jack DeJohnette | Somewhere | ECM 2200 - ECM Records

Keith Jarrett;Somewhere',

Carmen Gomes Inc.- SSS no.1

Carmen Gomes Inc.;Thousand Shades of Blue

Reference Recordings - RR-130 Detail

Doug Macleod;There's a time
    Great choice of recordings.The Sound Liaison recordings(Carmen Gomes)are also my go to show of files.
    Actually all the recordings from that label,4 in total,are awesome.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    i will certainly second the RR discs, i have a few such as DAFOS by mickey hart on LP. great music and performance by mickey hart et al and this disc has a real torture track. there is a spot when the 'beast' (a whole circular rack of percussion instruments) falls to the floor.

suffice it to say i was trying to listen too loud and when the beast falls, all four of the fuses in my adcom 555II vaporized. quite a transient event.

Amazon.com: Dafos: Music

as you see in this amazon ad, the LP goes for $150 these days. the cd is considerably less, even on ebay.
    ...regards...tr

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    The Reference Records label has some excellent sounding recordings. The were very well know for using HDCD technology and more recently SACD, 24/176.4 on DVD-R data disc, and LPs.

One of my favorite references is of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, Firebird, and Song of the Nightingale played by Eiji Oue and the Minnesota Orchestra. My version is from HDTracks, hi-rez 24/88.2.

I like choral music very much for reference listening. First, another Reference Recording, this one John Rutter's Requiem, etc., this time HDCD. I ripped this to ALAC which is what I listen to; (my Foobar2000 player has an HDCD decoder plugin).

Another choral I use a lot is a hi-rez recording of Bach cantatas Nos. 82a, 146 & 199 performed by Florilegium and soprano Johanette Zomer, also 24/8.2.

Name:  folder.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  81.1 KB
    You my friend have excellent taste in music.
    Maudi likes this.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    You my friend have excellent taste in music.
    Thanks for that, Sir T

Forum Regular

After Silence

I just downloaded these 2 free hi-rez downloads from the Sound Liaison label.http://www.soundliaison.com/all-our-products/88-free-tracks

And being very impressed bought both albums.

The After Silence album is with the remarkable trumpet virtuoso Andre Heuvelman,
    loads of technique but also able to convey true heartfelt emotion, and what a beautiful choice of repertoire, well know tunes interchanging with lovely new work and improvisations.
    I am very impressed with the Sound Quality as well, clarity and warmth, space and depth.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

25% sale on full album downloads

They are having a sale this month, 25% of full album downloads. That is 15€,or 20$, for a full Studio Master 24/96 Wav file.
    They even have a flac file now for the Carmen Gomes album going for 12 €,or 15$.
    These downloads are highly recommended. I find them the best sounding on the market.
    This is from the SoundStage review:
    Sound Liaison, producing recordings available only in 24-bit/96kHz downloads that mirror the master recording. And man, are they ever sweet. I've seldom heard recordings that were so successful in both performance and sound aspects.
    Go to the Sound Liaison site, listen to a few samples, download an album, and see if you don't agree that this intimate effort is one of the best and best-sounding jazz vocal albums to come along in many a day. By the way, the small audience applauds enthusiastically enough after the last chords of a song die away, but the attendees never interrupt or make themselves known while a song is going on. No doubt they were completely mesmerized into silence, as was I.

Be sure to listen to: On "Dock of the Bay," Gomes creates a languid, bluesy version that is a little bit reminiscent of Bobbie Gentry while still coming across as quite original. It'll cast a spell over you.

. . . Rad Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by Maudi View Post
    I just downloaded these 2 free hi-rez downloads from the Sound Liaison label.http://www.soundliaison.com/all-our-products/88-free-tracks

The After Silence album is with the remarkable trumpet virtuoso Andre Heuvelman,
    loads of technique but also able to convey true heartfelt emotion, and what a beautiful choice of repertoire, well know tunes interchanging with lovely new work and improvisations.
    I am very impressed with the Sound Quality as well, clarity and warmth, space and depth.

Forum Regular

Forum Regular

Mahler

This one is well recorded and played, and I actually prefer this chamber music version to the symphony version.
    Linn Records - Mahler: Symphonie No. 4

Historical performance pioneer, Trevor Pinnock, conducts the Royal Academy of Music Soloists Ensemble in revealing chamber arrangements of Mahler's most frequently performed symphony and Debussy's Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune, on its debut recording for Linn.

This one is well recorded and played, and I actually prefer this chamber music version to the symphony version.
    Linn Records - Mahler: Symphonie No. 4
    I have heard otherd refer favorably to this chamber orchestra version of Mahler's 4th symphony. I'm not sure how well Gustav Mahler would have liked the idea of a chamber version, but I know I would like to hear it.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    I have heard otherd refer favorably to this chamber orchestra version of Mahler's 4th symphony. I'm not sure how well Gustav Mahler would have liked the idea of a chamber version, but I know I would like to hear it.
    here is a bit of a review from the Guardian;
    The Verein für Musikalische Privataufführungen (the Society for Private Music Performances) was founded by Arnold Schoenberg and Alban Berg in 1918, to provide a forum for contemporary music in postwar Vienna at a time when mainstream concerts were becoming ever more reactionary. Attendance at the society's concerts was by subscription only; critics were banned, applause was prohibited and no programmes were published in advance. Up to the end of 1921, when the economic crisis in Austria forced it to close, more than 100 concerts were given. The repertoire was by no means confined to the Second Viennese School and its supporters, but also included music by Reger, Strauss, Mahler, Debussy, Ravel, Stravinsky and Bartók. Large-scale orchestral works were regularly performed in specially commissioned arrangements that were usually made under Schoenberg's strict supervision. Some of them were for one or two pianos, but others used an instrumental ensemble in which a piano and a harmonium supplied any missing harmonies or details.
    full review here;Mahler: Symphony No 4 (arr. Stein); Debussy: Prélude à l'Après-Midi (arr. Sachs) ? review | Music | The Guardian

Thank you. That's very interesting.

Suspended
    I think I have the "little bit of country" that you might be looking for. The now-defunct "Nickle Creek" have made a total of four albums, and the first two (IMHO) are reference quality spins. Produced by Alison Krauss, this trio featured Sean and Sara Watkins, both award-winning instrumentalists, and the very young Chris Thile, Mandolin Player Extraordinaire. Krauss' decision to eschew the usual studio effects and let this acoustic trio stick to their unadorned roots (they had been performing together since their early teens) was a wise one. The simply-miked tracks let their musicianship and beautiful harmonies sail!
    Last edited by RoyY51; 07-25-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Forum Regular
    this the one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information