Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Jim you are not helping yourself on this site. I sent you a PM in response to your e-mail. I tried to send you an e-mail through the AR system but it stated you did not want to receive e-mails. Also you have not responded to my PM.

I told Jim I use diffraction control on my speakers as I have for a long time. I first learned of felt for diffraction control when I sold audio in the very early 80's. In those days the AR 9's used felt around the upper frequency drivers. I began using one form or another after reading about a do it yourself speaker where the designer used different methods to control early reflections. I suggested Jim post in the How To or the Audio Lab his beliefs and views on diffraction control so we can learn from him. I see that has not been done yet.

I have even started threads about diffraction control and find it a big improvement in imaging and soundstaging with domes in a box speakers. Jim I agree with you and wish you the best but no free advertising. You are welcome to start fresh with the community but I would suggest being more respectful. When the new guy comes in and causes friction with established and respected members and resorts to name calling it will not be good. When your first post is as an unknown wanting to sell his products you will be met as you were and as many have been met before you. The next move is yours and I hope it is a positive one.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

hehehe

I'm not self righteous...

Thanks, JohnMichael. Hi, members, one and all. I’m a new member (well, sort of). Here’s my bio.

A veteran of the jazz scene in San Francisco in the mid to late 60’s. Local rock, too. Been to most of the famous clubs in NYC and Chicago. Blues scene, too. Once saw Son Seals in downtown NY with a horn section. A blast! Miles Davis had to tell me to scoot over at Both/And in SF during a sojourn off stage. Had to tell me three times. He didn’t have much of a voice. I was embarrassed. Had lifetime free admission there cause I donated some rare albums to the owner. Heard John Handy’s quintet (the one recorded at Monterey) there many times. Lived only a couple of blocks away. Done the Fillmore and Avalon ballrooms. Three bucks for three bands. Good times.

When I got my first uptown hifi system in the 70’s, thought I’d died and gone to heaven. Picked up the third edition of TAS at the dealer. Upgraded to DQ10’s and, later, added the DQ sub with crossover. Drove em all with Kenwood L07 monoblocks. Used a modified Dyna pre. Still own a Sugano vintage Koetsu Black. Later, added a Counterpoint SA5 pre amp and bought some Acoustat Three’s and listened happily in a converted barn for the next several years. Accumulated a huge record collection. Got into CD late. Use a modified Bel Canto DAC1 with a Sony DVD transport. Moved to the city. Got some smaller active British two way speakers (and an AR line stage) to mate with a smaller room. Synergistic.

Some sounds that I just can’t get enough of late include John Adam’s Harmonium, Shirley Horne’s You Won’t Forget Me, Cat Power’s What Would The Community Think and a 20bit remaster of the Cannonball Adderley Quintet recorded at The Jazz Workshop in SF (just a jubilant date with a you are there experience). Some things I never tire of. Vintage Ella. Kind of Blue. British classical composers to soothe the savage breast. I look for artistry in music. You get that way, I think.

I’m a natural born iconoclast, political, opinionated. I have in house experience with several highly regarded monitors beyond what I own. What I expect from hifi is a recreation of the event. Just move it to the front end of my listening room as intact as what the microphone captured, thank you very much.

I love reading the forums and interviews that sometime appear in audio magazines. Hope you will allow me to join in your discourse.

Jim Goulding

Ok, I'll go first, welcome (again?) to this forum Jim.

It's always good to have new members here, but Jim, ya gotta admit your initial posts do sound kinda shilly. You sound like you now your stuff and I hope to learn from your experiences, especially about the legendary acts you seen.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Thanks, Blues

No worries. Here's a gig I remember with great affection. I'm 15 years old and already have a fake ID. Wild child, you know. My mates and I go to a legendary old venue in Fort Worth,Texas- Jack's on Mansfield Hwy- to see Howlin Wolf. It's a BYOB place. I remember the Wolfman comin off the stage (really just a step up platform) and layin flat on his back amongst an enthusiatic crowd and playing and singing. He was about 6'5", I think. Lookin around the room, I remember seeing whiskey bottles and ladies purses standing on the tables but few people. They were all in the center of the room, dancing. The Wolfman had to be pretty inspired that night. I know everybody else was. Music has always been a part of my life. In those days, rock and roll was just being invented. It was all R&B from radio stations in Dallas, Sheveport, LA, Nashville, and Ciudad Acuna, MX. Home to Wolfman Jack before he got famous. My mom's best friend and our neighbor, a true Bohemian- never shaved her legs, always a glass of wine in her hand- who seldom wore anything but mumu's with nothin underneath incessantly listened to opera.on a big old console with an intergrated turntable. I knew who Puccini was when I was 10. Tell me something about yourself and your tastes, please. I'd love to hear. Again, thanks.

That obviously left an impression whichya. I would of given my left testicle to see Howlin Wolf live. Gotta be one of my Favs along with Muddy Waters & Robert Johnson, hell just about anyone from Chess Records from back in the day. Just a testament to all the great R&R acts that covered him. No wonder I like Clapton so much.

Never get tired of listening to Little Red Rooster by just about anyone.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Jim welcome to AR. Thanks for sharing your musical interests and audio journey. Join in the fun.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

JM; Luvin da Blues; Rich N Texas

JM, Thank you for a warm welcome.

Blues, Man. I haven't heard that in a very long time. Didn't know how much I missed it till you said it. What's the scene in BC? Got any good stations?

Rich N Texas, I sent you an email using AR bout Patti Smith but I don't know if you got it. Just tonite I switched to phono and re-listened to Horses. In my rig, the difference from digital was apparent right away (it's been awhile). Her voice was so full and shaped and the group so coherent in their playing. I like that about her group. Have you heard "Dream of Life"? There's a track on it, When Duty Calls, about the bombing and killing of US Marines in Lebanon wherein she sings in the chorus, "Flag on a Matchhead". I think I get this. Damn sure don't sympathize but admire her poetic depth with this line and courage as an artist. You? Or, are you puttin on in your blog?

Sincerely

Quote Originally Posted by jim goulding
    Blues, Man. I haven't heard that in a very long time. Didn't know how much I missed it till you said it. What's the scene in BC? Got any good stations?
    FM what's that.. ..but seriously I haven't listened to FM for a long time. I have a pretty good collection of ripped tunes and much prefer to "program" my own music. The"scene" is not bad here in the interior and is "gettin better all the time" but still have a long way to go to match Vancouver's blues scene (which is great bye the way).

We have an annual Blues fest here in town but mostly feature regional act with some noticeable headliners such as Long John Baldry (rest his glorious soul), Colin James (with Collin Linden) & Albert Lee to name a few. Up the road a piece in Salmon Arm they have a great international blues and Jazz fest that is amazing in of itself.

We have only one Blues club which sucks for a town of 150,000.

Jim, Probably time to let this thread die, I'm gunna start a thread to discuss all things Blues, R&B and Jazz. Hope to see ya over there.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Wow. Putting recent animosities aside, I'm rightly impressed (hell, frankly envious) of some of those experiences. Miles was a raspy character wasn't he? Never met him myself but I've seen and heard interviews and it would be easy to miss that sqwuak in the din of a crowded club. Quite a moment.

I also agree with what I perceive to be your view on system synergy. Some of the biggest go-arounds in this place have been over "the ultimate gears" when in reality the room and the software are going to dictate almost everything. You pick the right tool for the job, as it were and it sounds like you've got it dailed in.

Welcome to the forum Jim. How 'bout if we ever meet up in one of them smokey, dingy blues holes we can just skip the static and I'll buy you a cold beverage and we can talk about Cannonball Adderly. Sound good?

Peace

Wow back, Bob. Heck yeah, that sounds good. Just this morning I was watching the Sundance channel and saw a program new to me- Live from Abbey Road- and heard an artist unfamiliar to me named Nerena Pallot accompanying herself on piano on a tune called Dakota. I was mesmerized. Seems to me that Sundance is just getting better and better with their programming. I see you’re a home theater enthusiast so I thought you might have an interest in this kind of programming. Perhaps I can pick your brain when I go shopping for an HDTV this coming Christmas? You got the picture alright bout my little meeting with Mr. Davis. Your comment about room influence is particularly relevant to my experience and efforts. It’s where my speakers are there but on good recording are completely passive. My system is transportation to the event and my room boundaries are hardly there, as well. There is an informative article on The Colorado Audio Society’s website named “It’s The Room, Stupid”. Too bad not everyone can dedicate space to do this. Well, thanks, Bob. Hope I can contribute something to a few peoples listening experience, library, and consciousness. See you later. Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information