Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Patricia Barber...

...I was turned on to her by LeRoy and I think she is one of the great ladies of today's Jazz music...and just like me, thousands don't know who she is or have heard of her. She also has a ton of music out there. Here is one clip of her if you don't know who she is...

Patricia Barber Quartet "Norwegian Wood" - YouTube
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I am a fan. She does the best "Miss Otis Regrets" I have heard. She is one artist I need to have more of her music.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Wink Me three

I can't remember who (Brian?) sent me a PB disk a few years back. Been a big fan since. She's my go to girl when I feel like some nice vocal jazz.

Hey JM....this is one of my all time favorites by Shirley Horn...have you heard it? Its on her Summer CD.

Shirley Horn trio "estate".mov - YouTube

Summer

Estate
    You bathe me in the glow of your caresses
    You turn my timid no's to eager yesses
    You sweep away my sorrow with your sigh

Estate
    Oh how your golden sunlight bends the willow
    Your blossoms send their perfume to my pillow
    Oh who could know you half as well as I

Always feel you near me
    In every song the morning breeze composes
    In all the tender wonder of the roses
    Each time the setting sun smiles on the sea

Estate
    And when you sleep beneath a snowy cover
    I'll keep you in my heart just like a lover
    And wait until you come again to me

Estate

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    I'm in the camp that isn't particularly moved by Barber. To me, she overplays the pretentious, laconic "cool" factor a bit too much. However, I do give her kudos for consistently having great musicians in her group.I find things much more interesting when she's not singing... ;-)

I sadly missed her appearance at the Dakota Jazz club here last month.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I do think shes not a very good singer...but neither is Neil Young and I love his stuff as well...but having said that, I do understand your sentiments

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    I do think shes not a very good singer...but neither is (fill in the blank....)
    There are a lot of singers I like that, by a number of standards, aren't traditionally "great" singers. Their voice may not have the purity, clarity, power, pitch perfection or whatever else one might wish, but they can still be enormously engaging to those who appreciate their style.

Besides Neil Young, look at Louis Armstrong, Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello and many others - nothing about their voices really reflects anything one would put on a list for a "great" voice, but many of us happen to love what they do with what they do have.

In Patricia Barber's case, her style just doesn't resonate with me. It's not that I dislike her voice or music - I'm rather blase about her - but I do scratch my head as to what others find so interesting about her.

One can only chalk it up to the oddities of personal taste.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
    There are a lot of singers I like that, by a number of standards, aren't traditionally "great" singers. Their voice may not have the purity, clarity, power, pitch perfection or whatever else one might wish, but they can still be enormously engaging to those who appreciate their style.

Besides Neil Young, look at Louis Armstrong, Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello and many others - nothing about their voices really reflects anything one would put on a list for a "great" voice, but many of us happen to love what they do with what they do have.

In Patricia Barber's case, her style just doesn't resonate with me. It's not that I dislike her voice or music - I'm rather blase about her - but I do scratch my head as to what others find so interesting about her.

One can only chalk it up to the oddities of personal taste.
    I do enjoy PB's music, voice, style, etc....but I have to be in the mood for her music....at times I do think she goes overboard on the gloom and doom lyrics but her delivery is pun intended...deliberately crass.

I find Cafe Blue particularly a real treat to listen to... her overall musicianship...her keyboarding is to my ears flawless, and her vocal range is amazing to me....then throw in she is the band leader too...PB is the whole package.

I understand she is not everyone's cup of musical tea though.

Hey!!!! I love Armstrongs voice! Pops can sing man!

EDIT: Just to clear things up a bit....PBarber when singing is no Ella Fitzgerald, but no one is Ella....but Barber hits all the notes and does have good range. IF you dont listen to her as she hits the notes and goes up and down the scale, the tone of her voice will be a little odd. But after you listen to her hit her notes, her voice seems to be more appealing. That has been my experience.
    Last edited by frenchmon; 11-24-2011 at 04:10 AM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    ... But after you listen to her hit her notes, her voice seems to be more appealing. That has been my experience.
    Classic mistake. You're assuming that you can talk someone else into appreciating an artist to the same degree as you. That's generally not a productive exercise. ;-)

Really?? I had no idea I was doing that..
    .sorry to give you that idea...all I was doing was giving you my experience.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    i first heard patricia on the radio and felt strongly motivated to hear more. modern cool was the album at the time and now i have nearly her whole catalog. her first-a distortion of love-is certainly worth snagging and cafe blue is a solid goldmine.

i saw her live in long beach california a few years ago and would not hesitate to fork over more cash to see her again. unfortunately she doesnt wander much and chicago is where to see her frequently at the green mill where kurt elling performs a lot.

its funny, either you like her a lot or not so much. i am in the 'a lot' camp as well as the same for kurt elling. he is another thats people definitely polarize over.
    ...regards...tr

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I am in the non fan camp. Technically good but uninvolving - a number of stereo systems are like that I suppose.

I much prefer someone like Sophie Milman. More soul IMO.

Sophie Milman - I can't make you love me - YouTube

she has an entirely different style as does stacy kent or diana krall. patricia isnt my only choice of female singer.

i am also taken by shirley horn. i like a lot of karyn allison's output but jane monheit only a bit.
    ...regards...tr

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Yes you are correct about style - perhaps I need to listen to someone who sings a similar style - but I never could get into Patricia Barber - it sounds all over - slow and nothing I can latch onto. I played Cafe Blue so many times to try and get it but I never could.

when i was at brooks berdan's store, he expressed that he just couldnt get into it. todd krieger at aa cant get kurt elling either so nobody can like everything you enoy hearing.

its like esperanza spalding, she can play her instrument for me but i would rather she not sing.
    ...regards...tr

Caught the tail end of one of her sets in Chicago at the legendary Green Mill a few years ago (don't know if she still has her Monday night residency, but that club is a mandatory visit if any of you are ever in Chicago). From what I understand, those live shows can veer off into any number of directions, because she had a residency and could experiment with different arrangements and set lists every week. The night I saw her, the band was doing all sorts of crazy free-form improvising. Not much in the way of singing, but a lot of great ensemble playing. Very impressive stuff. Also, I think any assessment of Barber also needs to account for her prowess as an improviser and arranger.
    Last edited by Woochifer; 12-07-2011 at 05:56 PM.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

I've only got one of her recordings. If Cafe' Blue is indicative of her musical style I'm kind of underwhelmed. I do like Yellow Car II a lot.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

back to Shirley Horn. that could be a whole 'nother thread. her ability to sing glacially slow and still swing was unmatched.

i first was attracted to her when i heard the title tune 'you wont forget me' while driving to work in the dark at 0615 and i first hear miles' trumpet and thought: "oboy, another new miles record".

then she devastated me with her low moan of the key words-'you wont forget me'. great GOOGELYMOOGELY! i was hooked! that album and the ones that followed it became nearly an obsession for me to obtain.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy View Post
    back to Shirley Horn. that could be a whole 'nother thread. her ability to sing glacially slow and still swing was unmatched.

i first was attracted to her when i heard the title tune 'you wont forget me' while driving to work in the dark at 0615 and i first hear miles' trumpet and thought: "oboy, another new miles record".

then she devastated me with her low moan of the key words-'you wont forget me'. great GOOGELYMOOGELY! i was hooked! that album and the ones that followed it became nearly an obsession for me to obtain.
    Thanks for the tip about Shirley Horn. Any specific LP's or CD's that you recommend?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

oh yeah, the album i mentioned-you won't forget me (the title song is buried at cut #13 but thats what the skip button is for. you will want to hear that cut first when you get the disc.

actually ANY of her records are worth acquiring but you can start with the verves starting in '88. the main ingredient is maybe the second and here's to life with her singing johnny mandel songs is next. then wing it.

enjoy.
    ...regards...tr

Shirley Horn is one of my favorites. No one....I mean no one does ballads any better in my opinion. And she is a classically trained pianist. As she moved away from classical she said Oscar Peterson became my Rachmaninov, and Ahmad Jamal became my Debussy. I love her. When she died the jazz world really lost a great one.

WOW! I just listened to Shirley Horn on CD Universe. Totally awesome voice. I will be ordering a few of her CD's as well as her Hybrid SACD-Here's to Life. I have a nice expanding vocal jazz collection and her music will be a nice addition.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    WOW! I just listened to Shirley Horn on CD Universe. Totally awesome voice. I will be ordering a few of her CD's as well as her Hybrid SACD-Here's to Life. I have a nice expanding vocal jazz collection and her music will be a nice addition.
    Wait till you get her on that AVA hybrid.....her voice has that warm rich sound that will be great with tubes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information