Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

New to site seeking help

Hi. New to the site seeking help on stereo upgrade. Love my music. Louder the better. Good clear loud music that is. My current system I purchased in 2008. Sounded killer in my smaller front room (10x20). New home, larger front room 20x30. Currently have a Pioneer VSX 1120 receiver, set of Klipsch RF 82-II mains, Klipsch RC-II center and Klipsch RS-62-II back speakers. Sub is a VTF-II MK3. System sounds very good for movies. Would like better sound for music. Love the bass, louder the better. listen to rock like Godsmack, Five finger death punch. Maybe a higher end receiver? Bigger center channel? Second sub? Want to stick with the Klipsch speakers. Thanks

What is your budget? You could add a high power 2ch amp and run your front speakers from it. I as assuming that you just run the front speakers in 2ch mode for music which would be the best way listen to music.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    What source do you listen to for music? Like CD, LP, mp3 etc.

I agree an overall improvement would be to add a power amp using the receiver's preamp outputs, assuming it has them. A 2-channel amp if only listening to music in stereo but a multichannel amp if you listen to surround music or all channel mode for music.

However, back to my original question, to improve the sound quality, especially clarity or overall sound quality would be to upgrade your source. That's where it begins. If your source don't present it to your system nothing you do downstream will give you what's lost. CD, for instance, if detail is not retrieved, then how can it pass through to your speakers/ears? If you use mp3 the conversation is pretty much over. Just stop and find a real source of music, LOL. If CD you can upgrade your player, or, if using your DVD player into the receiver, buy a CD player with higher quality. If you do stream, use lossless files on your hard drive or spend the money for lossless files from Tidal or similar.

Make sure your receiver is set to play the sub with both music and movies. Also, and very important, new room. Your speaker placement could use some experimenting if you haven't already. Move closer together, further apart, closer to back wall, further out, etc. Also, tame any reflections from walls and floors. There's a lot of info on treating a room for audio. It could be as easy as a well placed bookshelf, hanging an attractive tapestry, if hard wood strategic rug placement, curtains etc. You would be amazed at what some of these simple things can do for sound.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Tips for a New User

Hello,
    And I am new on this site, I am glad to be here to talk with to you.

Who can give me some advice for started ??

Thank you,

I agree with Mr P regarding the source for better clarity and sound.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thank you much for the reply's and good info. Looking into purchasing a Marantz CD6005 CD Player. think this will improve my CD sound? Never thought about the source. What I have know sucks. Thanks, Brad.

Suspended
    The 6005 would be a nice player. Marantz is a good choice at their various price points.

Suspended
    If you get the 6005 you want to use the analog outputs (red/white ended type cables) into one of the analog input of the Pioneer. This would be using the 6005 internal DAC which should be better than the receiver's internal DAC.

If you don't already have a set once you are used to the sound of the 6005 with your system you should experiment with a higher quality RCA cable from 6005 to your receiver.

You can pick up a Marantz CD 6005 here for $379

CD & SACD Players | Accessories4less

What is your current CD player? If it is decent and has digital out's you could go with a nice DAC instead. What is your budget?
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the reply's. Sad to say currently CD's are played thru a PS3. I set up the mcaac mic and set listening position. moved sub to corner. Movies sound killer. some cds are ok but most don't even sound close to the movies. will the 6005 Marantz improve my Cd music. Thanks.

Forum Regular
    How about the Oppo BDP-105? Will this improve my music quality?

Suspended
    I personally would lean toward the 6005. The Oppo is supposed to have decent audio sound but you already have the PS3 for movies. I'd spend the money on just audio.

As mentioned you could just get the DAC (digital to analog converter) to add between the PS3 and receiver, going into an analog input of the receiver. As long as the PS3 has multiple digital outputs. So you would be still using the PS3 to play the disc, it would leave the PS3 in digital form, decode in the DAC then go analog to your receiver.

It's important to understand if you use a digital connection there will be no difference in sound because you will be allowing the receiver to decode the signal; using the receiver's internal DAC. What you want to do is buy a DAC or CD player with a DAC, that is superior to the one inside your receiver. There is much more to digital playback than the DAC, like the analog circuits etc. but those are usually improved as well with better DAC's & CDP's.

If you weren't interested in streaming or high res music you could pick up a good deal on used stereo only DAC's. If wanting to buy new most stores will allow a certain time to return if not happy. If no one around you is willing to do that any of the online retailers like Music Direct or Audio Advisor will.

Forum Regular
    Thank you much Mr Peabody. I will purchase the Marantz CD 6005. I would also like to purchase a multi channel Amp. Price around 1000. Any suggestions?

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
    Thank you much Mr Peabody. I will purchase the Marantz CD 6005. I would also like to purchase a multi channel Amp. Price around 1000. Any suggestions?
    There is a Rotel 7.1 amp on Audiogon. It is the RMB-1077 it retails for $2500 and it up for sale for $800. Looks like a good buy.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Forum Regular
    jack in Washington, thank for the heads up. Looking hard at the Marantz MM7055. Opinions? Also determined the PS3 wasn't OptiLinked. Was told that this will improve cd sound from the PS3.

That Marantz is a good unit and it will a good match for the CD player and speakers. The used Rotel is excellent as well and more high end. But the Marantz is new. Eventually you should consider upgrading to better speakers. That will ultimately give you better sound, especially with better electronics as your electronics are going to out perform those Klipsch. With a better CD player and power amp, the Pioneer will also be a weak link. As you move up the high fidelity chain, the sound is only as good as the weakest link. Ultimately it comes down to budget and how far you want to go to chase audio nirvana.

One other thing to think about. As the sound gets more detailed and resolving, it will bring out the weakness in poorly recorded music. It is a catch 22. So if you don't listen to excellent or at least good recordings, you may be disappointed.

StereoTimes --
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    So, if I buy the Rotel, can it be repaired if something goes wrong? that's a few coins if it didn't last that long

Yes, Rotel is still in business and can be repaired. Buying used is always a risk. I bought my Pass amp and BAT preamp used, new they sold for $6K and $9,500. Used I paid about $6K for both. The caps were bad in the BAT although it played just fine. It cost me about $260 in parts to repair it.

I would say go with the Marantz as the Marantz house sound is excellent and you will have a new warranty and no worries. Marantz gear is built very well and well repected. But give a listen to it. Marantz has a more organic sound for lack of a better term and that is a good thing. I personally like the Marantz sound and would love to have an all Marantz system in my house.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I am personally not a Rotel fan. That is not reason not to buy it but Rotel has a certain sound and I don't think you'd find good synergy with the other gear you are using.

The 7050 is a really good value, it does a better job than the price would lead you to think. Plus you'd get better synergy if you decide on the 6005.

Synergy, is just how your components sound or work well with one another.

Klipsch Reference isn't bad, especially if it's later Reference. I think the Ref II is the line I really like, the one where they had the Ref 63 with three 6" drivers and the horn. The later Reference has a smoother sound from the horns and the bass response was better.

What connection are you using from the PS3? If HDMI then that's the best connection, optical won't do anything better and could be worse. Either way it's still allowing the decoding inside the receiver so it's not even worth wasting your time.

Forum Regular
    Thanks again for all the advice. After my time on hear and much research, I decided to upgrade my system. Current system was purchased in 2010. At that time I hade a 52" Panasonic TV. 6 months ago I purchased a 82" Sharp so it was time. Decided to go Marantz. MM7055 Amp, AV 7701 Pre Amp, CD 6005 for my audio and a UD 5007 Blue Ray player. Keeping the Klipsch speakers and the HSU sub. Hoping my system will sound better know as I'm into about 12000 with my TV. Any other improvement suggestions?

You may want to just use the Marantz Blu Ray player as your CD player and save some money. Although the 6005 may sound a bit better but it may be splitting hairs-

Here is a great deal on the UD 5007=

MARANTZ UD5007 3D Ready Blu-Ray Player with Networking | Accessories4less

MARANTZ AV7701 7.2 Channel Networking A/V Preamp/Processor 4K & 3D | Accessories4less

Or move up to the UD 7007 for both Blu Ray, CD and SACD. It probably is on par sonically with the 6005

MARANTZ UD7007 3D Ready Blu-Ray Player with Networking | Accessories4less

Marantz UD7007 Universal Blu-ray Player Review | Audioholics
    Last edited by blackraven; 12-22-2015 at 10:16 PM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Hey blackraven, thanks for the advice. I decided to go with the 6005 because I was told by many that this unit is very good for music, And that is most important to me. Also it was recommended to upgrade my Blue Ray player. Was told the 5007 was very good for that. Your suggestion is a good price for refurbished, but I found a new for 430.00. Been told over and over that I can't get the music sound I want and Blue ray from the same unit. Will see.

There are Blu Ray players that can equal the sound of CD players. The Oppo players compete with CD players and I bet that that Marantz 7007 sounds as good. Cheap BRP's are another issue. BRP's like the analog Oppo and the Marantz were made for excellent audio and video.

With that being said, congrats on your choices. If you can swing it, you may want to take a look at the MM8077. It is probably a good step up in sound quality over the 7000 series

MARANTZ MM8077 7-channel Power Amplifier | Accessories4less
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    The 7701 with amp will be a nice set up. You could hold off on the 6005 at first to see how the player sounds. Remember using the HDMI from 5007 to 7701 will decode using the 7701 internal DAC which is pretty good. Can't say how it would compare with 6005 as I've never made that comparison. But if you do it in steps you may save some money if you are satisfied with the 5007. I think you will be thrilled going with that set up compared to the Pioneer though

Forum Regular
    1 more thing I'm considering. Looking into a bigger center speaker. Opinions on the Klipsch RC 64-II vs the RC 62-II? its like double the price. Is there something better the would still work with my other Klipsch speakers. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information