Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Chubbs, you have Tony in your signature!!

Joo tawking to me mang?

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Joo tawking to me mang?
    Yah, djooz gotta problem wid dat? joo wanna play rough?!

whats so funny about using them to stop reflections? better than just tossing them and they work pretty well. i can limit or expand the soundstage very effectively with these.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    whats so funny about using them to stop reflections? better than just tossing them and they work pretty well. i can limit or expand the soundstage very effectively with these.
    I'm just teasing you... It's far more sensible to use them as you do, than to just toss them away... Plus they should be far easier to reposition than material you need to hang on a wall....

Well the room is coming along ok after a bit of clean up.

Got some palms and found some 1/4inch thick sound deadeding board at home depot for $10 for a 4x8ft sheet. Got one, quatered it, and wrapped it in some colored bed spreads and using it on the back wall and for side reflections. also have a rock'n'roll buddha and got my bike in a better place. I'm starting to enjoy my listening room a lot more, though I'd love to have that 12v adapter Simaudio should be sending me sooner rather than later.

The back still needs to some clean up and stuff - but coming along.

I LOVE IT!!! and thanks for the pics

Hey Adam,

Where does that door go to?
    It looks like my room. I have a closet door I cannot access. I did lose 20lbs from the Swine flu so I just might be able to squeeze thru....

Enjoy your tunes,
    JRA

Looks great!! I spent the weekend re-covering my bass traps. What an improvement. I actually had to remove one of them as they were working too good. I now have 5 throughout. You really should consider it for your space Adam, the results are unreal.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...327#post315327

Also, here is a great recipe: http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/traps/traps.html

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    The room is looking good. I noticed you have the RS6's for sale. With what will you be replacing them? I know from previous posts that the MA's have not worked for you but I so enjoy mine.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Hey Adam,

Where does that door go to?
    It looks like my room. I have a closet door I cannot access. I did lose 20lbs from the Swine flu so I just might be able to squeeze thru....

Enjoy your tunes,
    JRA
    Goes to the bed room. Don't use it, have another door. In fact I don't use the front door either. We enter from the rear. Cheeky!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    The room is looking good. I noticed you have the RS6's for sale. With what will you be replacing them? I know from previous posts that the MA's have not worked for you but I so enjoy mine.
    MA's aren't out of the question, but I'm not sure they are rockin enough w/o a sub, which would mean more $$ for more equipment and I'm not a huge fan of subs. I'm thinking about the Salk Songtower speakers.

Looks great!! I spent the weekend re-covering my bass traps. What an improvement. I actually had to remove one of them as they were working too good. I now have 5 throughout. You really should consider it for your space Adam, the results are unreal.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...327#post315327

Also, here is a great recipe: http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/traps/traps.html
    Yep, I've seen that second link before. I'm not sure I need bass traps because of the windows. Bass just goes right out the window so to speak.

MA's aren't out of the question, but I'm not sure they are rockin enough w/o a sub, which would mean more $$ for more equipment and I'm not a huge fan of subs. I'm thinking about the Salk Songtower speakers.
    Hey Adam,

I'm just speculating here, but I'm not sure if the Songtower will satisfy your "Rockin" preference.
    Where do you sit when you listen?
    Do you sit in that Ikea chair or back at the Brown leather sofa?
    If so, have you also tried moving your speakers towards the front wall or right in front of your plants?

If you are sitting in the Pong chair, looks like you are sitting too close to speakers.

JRA

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Maybe it is the control of the Krell but the RS6's rock my place. The Krell says rock and the RS6's ask how hard?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Hey jrhymeammo and JM.

I must have mis-wrote something. The RS6 rock my apt just fine. It seemed someone had suggested Maggies for new speakers, though I'm not sure would rock the room well w/o a sub.

jrhymeammo - I do sit in that chair, and I have tried the speakers further back near the plants. That was my 1st set up and I had nothing but dislike for it. I'm actually rather happy now, once side reflections where taken care of, with the GoldenTriangle set up I've got it in now. The issue, with that set up in this room, is I end up sitting pretty close to the speakers and so the sound from the woofer and the tweeter don't have a heck of a lot of space to form into one by the time it reaches my ears, so I can hear the lows being low to the ground, and the highs being at ear level, at time.

I'm thinking the Songtowers, being two-way, and having all the speakers rather close to each other, might help to solve this. Plus, with the AVA amp it just seems like a good match.

Anyways, just my thoughts. I prob wont have $$ to get the Salk speakers for some time and I've got more reviews to read on them.

Hmmm...

You've done well considering the size of the room and the amount of furnishings... Bravo.

Worf

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    You've done well considering the size of the room and the amount of furnishings... Bravo.

Worf
    Thanks. Though I'd like to ditch that brown sofa at some point, and I'd like to get a better place for my bouldering pad (no, not like an iPad), after that, I think things will start to come together all around. Big score with the sound absorption fiber board from Home Depot and the covers from Target. There are two more not in the photos along side the converted MMGs covered in white. Not having to use the front door helps a lot as well.

Nice room. Are you going to keep the bike in there? Is your wife ok with it? That's another expensive hobby...

And as JRA said, it does look like you are too close to the speakers. IMO, a perfect triangle layout means that you're always too close. I usually sit farther away, about 2:3 ratio or sometimes further otherwise I get a hole in the middle of the soundstage.

Nice room. Are you going to keep the bike in there? Is your wife ok with it? That's another expensive hobby...

And as JRA said, it does look like you are too close to the speakers. IMO, a perfect triangle layout means that you're always too close. I usually sit farther away, about 2:3 ratio or sometimes further otherwise I get a hole in the middle of the soundstage.
    Yep, the bike stays. One thing we agree on is how beautiful a machine it is. Canfield Brothers really made a looker, even though version two solves some issue, it doesn't look nearly as good.

And yes, I know what you mean about the hole. Except I find I get it when not sitting in the triangle. I was listening to this Elmo Hope CD just yesterday and for a couple songs things just sounded so bad. I could hear the speakers and the music was all stack up on itself. Left channel and right channel only, no middle, and no space, just sound from the speakers. I moved a little more forward and to the right and bam! Two inches this way and 4 inches that way and the speaker went away, the piano got center stage (though not very present) and the CD became great to listen to.

I never understood the perfect triangle thing either.
    I've always preferred about 2:3 ratio as well.

Hey Adam,
    This picture had me cringed. Oh the precious dust cover...

Have fun on your speaker search.
    JRA

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I never understood the perfect triangle thing either.
    I've always preferred about 2:3 ratio as well.

Hey Adam,
    This picture had me cringed. Oh the precious dust cover...

Have fun on your speaker search.
    JRA

LOL!

Well my phono amp has been out of order for a couple weeks now because the 12v adapter blew up..errr...stopped working. So I wasn't using (still am not...times a ticken Simaudio)...the turntable. Everything is much orderly now.

Actually I'd like to pull the shelf out another foot or so for better access to the back. I don't think it will mess with the sound greatly, and will be easier for switching ICs around and speaker cables.

As far as speaker placement, I've never considered a formula before. I just play around for a while till I get the best sound. The issue was that I had them at a good spot after moving down to the new house in SoCal, but then stupidly one night I thought "can there be better?" From that point on I had nothing but trouble and horrible sound. Pappa suggested the Triangle and I wasn't very happy at 1st. I played around with that some but nothing worked. I then really set my mind to dealing with reflection points and most important the 1st reflection point, and now I am pretty happy with the set up. Just, you know, lows are near the floor or dead center, and highs are up near my ears. I think, a bigger room where the speakers could more further apart and I could sit back more would be fine, but I don't have that.

But, over all I'd say I'm very happy. Plus, I don't have to share the room with wifie. It is basically mine, so speaker set up is my choice and layout is mine as well.

I just spent the last hour listening to M83 - Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts at a good loud volume (Mon, Wed, nights I can do that cause wifie is in class till 9pm) - and all I can say is OMFG it is so good. Though. There were a couple times where sounds would jump out of the speakers toward me, and the lows weren't that clear. There were times where I just had to put the laptop down and close my eyes and listen as the music crescendo and all the electrical distortion was just so vibrating it tickled my ass. Seriously, it almost brown noted me at one point. Anyways, enough gross stuff.

Needless to say, I'm pretty freaking happy with this set up at this time. Though I'd like to hear some vinyl before the months end and I'd like to upgrade speakers in a couple months.

Adam, why not go out and buy an adaptor. They're a dime a dozen at any surplus. I finished your cables today. I have bought all the supplies for the battery power supply also. I am going to try and set it up so when it arrives you can plug and play. Need a few more days...

BTW, go to the "Whats Spinning" thread, find nobody's post of the new Massive Attack, click on the image...

Adam, why not go out and buy an adaptor. They're a dime a dozen at any surplus. I finished your cables today. I have bought all the supplies for the battery power supply also. I am going to try and set it up so when it arrives you can plug and play. Need a few more days...

Awesome about the cables and batteries. I can't, unfortunately, find such a store here. I went to ratshack and they didn't have a 12v .4A plug, and their price was $22 for the plug and another $7 for the adapter size into the unit. NO FREAKING WAY!

I'm not sure where else to look around here cause I don't know where the flea markets are at. So stuck waiting. And I scored Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse from Skinny Puppy, Stray Cats and a 180g pressing of Sublime. Got to smoke 2 joints you know!

BTW, go to the "Whats Spinning" thread, find nobody's post of the new Massive Attack, click on the image...
    Did you say new Massive Attack??

Did you say new Massive Attack??
    Yes and it's awesome.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information