Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Regular
    Without a doubt, speaker placement and room treatments open up the sound like nothing else. Personal experience with ESLs suggest some reflection is good, however with cone speakers the equation is different, nothing like trial end error to get the best out of one´s gear!!

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Congrats young fella, now lets see some pics when you are done. I can't wait!
    "Young Fella"...... STtT, you are my friend for life! I have not been called that for years..... I don't feel so old now.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

As promised, here's the pictures. I have not gotten the fabric yet, when I get them all covered I'll send some pictures of that too.

Picture of one Panel:

Picture of: The left side of the room.

Picture of the right side of the room (Minus one panel that I'm making to fit on the door).

Close up picture of the left row.

Close up picture of the back (which shows how I attached them to the wall).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need some pointers with room treatments-stans_single_shot.jpg   Need some pointers with room treatments-stans_back.jpg   Need some pointers with room treatments-stans_left_side.jpg   Need some pointers with room treatments-stans_right_side.jpg   Need some pointers with room treatments-stans_row.jpg  

Last edited by manlystanley; 07-29-2010 at 07:32 PM.
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

So..... I've got five of the eight panels and they look gorgeous!! The material is a velvety suede looking material that I can easily blow through. Because of the roughness, it picks up more of the high frequencies and helps even more with imaging.

Finally, my wife comes down and looks at them and says: They look good. Wow, from my understated wife, what a complement....

Thanks again for all your help.

Best Regards,
    Stan

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Great to hear....panels were one of the biggest improvements I made in my system, better than many experiments with various electronics, speakers etc. Not so much in the ability to reproduce detail, but to allow the resolution present to actually be heard.

Nice job on the frames, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Not so much in the ability to reproduce detail, but to allow the resolution present to actually be heard. .
    Interesting. I have the same sort of thing. With the panels, the ability to actually make out all the words of songs is drastically improved. Not to mention that the bass is so much improved.

Best Regards,
    Stan

Manly, what fabric did you settle on and where did you get it? You're looking real good there. We're all waiting for the pictures of the finished room.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Manly, what fabric did you settle on and where did you get it? You're looking real good there. We're all waiting for the pictures of the finished room.
    Hello Joe,
    Here is the (Royal Velvet) Fabric that I went with, I used the 'DUNE' Color. It is a neutral color that is grayish / tanish:

http://www.dazian.com/cgi-bin/page.p...d=81&cat_id=29

I like the Royal Velvet for multiple reasons:

-- It has a suede like look and so has a lot of visual interest. On big pieces it has random patterns. I tried lots and lots of batiks, but they all were too thick. I tried blowing through the various batiks and no air would pass. This is important to make sure that sound will not be reflected.

-- I had Dazian, Inc send me four different sets of samples. I thought they'd get tired of me, but they were just really nice.

-- Somewhere on the net a guy did a acoustic analysis of Royal Velvet and found that it was the most transparent of even the specialty acoustic fabrics.

-- Finally, my wive likes the fabric and actually thinks that the panels look nice in the room. This by itself is a minor miracle.....

Best Regards,
    Stan

Thanks manly. I'm going to get some samples. My current bass traps look like examples from the agricultural school of design. Some nice fabric coverings will do a lot for my decor.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Joe:
    Dazian has all kinds of weights and styles of fabric (not to mention colors!). If you just have bass traps then you might not need acoustically transparent material. I'd ask for lots of other sample fabric styles as well, such as: Sculptured Velvet, Animal Skin (Synthetic), Venetian Velvet, Sculptured Milano Velvet, etc...... They have tons of styles and are very happy to send samples and color charts.

It took two months until my wife and I found the one that we liked.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 08-05-2010 at 09:38 AM.

BTW: If you want to try out some batik, try out this site. They were great on sending samples and were supper friendly:

http://www.sewbatik.com/Products.aspx

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 08-05-2010 at 10:26 AM.

I'll give them a look also. Thanks.

The room conditioning pannels are complete, and they look great!! However, the sound has really changed. For example:

-- The above the speaker imaging has suffered. I loved hearing the instruments seeming fly above the speakers. It's there still, but not as distinct.
    -- The speakers are much more forward now with treble.
    -- In general very different sounding. Not sure if I like it or not. But, they look great.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 08-06-2010 at 10:29 AM.

I decided that I really missed the imaging that I had before I wrapped the panels. There are multiple tracks that I have were percussion instruments (tambourines, casements, etc) would seem to fly back and forth above the speakers. It gave a really cool audio effect.

So, I started to experiment. It turned out that putting just one more panel on the front door fixed the problem. I did a two hour listening test and so far it really sounds great. What I have learned about the wrapping process is:

-- What ever cloth you use, it will effect mainly the higher frequencies absorption rate. So, make sure that you get room treatment that absorb *more* high frequencies that you want. This way with the wrapping it will balance out well.

-- I had been saying that my Jamo C809's did not 'present harsh sounds' properly. We'll, with this wrapping it drastically improves that. I think the bare insulation was absorbing the to much of the high frequencies.

-- From what I've learned about room conditioning, I can now understand how there can be such drastic differing opinions of audio equipment. The sound heard really depends on so many things--that are not related to the equipment being discussed about.

-- I am hearing such a subtle blend of sounds now. The little nuances that I could not hear before are adding so much to my musical enjoyment. I am very, very happy with how the room conditioning: sounds and looks.

-- My wife who was up in arms about me 'wrecking a beautiful room'. Now she says that the room conditioning looks really nice. I have to agree. The suede has these micro random patterns that is very attractive. Then the frames are cut in a way to have two distinct lines on each side. It give the panels are real crisp look.

Finally, I really appreciate all your help. I've tried to return your kindness by relaying what I've learned. I hope it's helps you out in some way. For a total of $400 for all: insulation, wood, cloth and hanging hardware--this has given a drastic improvement to the sound quality.

I'll go and get some pictures of the final result and post them. Then that will finish out this thread.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 08-07-2010 at 06:06 AM.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    This has been a fun thread to follow. Thanks for sharing Stan. Where exactly do you have them all positioned now?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    This has been a fun thread to follow. Thanks for sharing Stan. Where exactly do you have them all positioned now?

Sorry it took so long. Here's the room layout. Also, I have room conditioning on top of the cabnets as well. I'll try to get pictures shortly. I'm glad that you found the thread fun to follow!

Best Regards,
    Stan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need some pointers with room treatments-room_treat_final.jpg  

Hello Thomas,
    Room treatment is placing sound absorbing material at key locations in your listening room. SOme of the key benifets or this is:

-- Bass response will greatly improve. This is because the the period time (e.g. wave length) of lower frequencies are many feet long. So they will cancel out as the various phases bounce off the walls. In fact, many people report that the the bass sounds better in the adjacent room, instead of the room where the stereo is located at.

-- Clarity is greatly improved. All the sound bouncing off the walls will muddy the sound.

-- Imaging is greatly improved. as above.

Best Regards,
    Stan

It's taken a while, but here's the finished product:

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need some pointers with room treatments-close_up2_finsihed.jpg   Need some pointers with room treatments-close_up_finished.jpg   Need some pointers with room treatments-left_side_finished.jpg   Need some pointers with room treatments-whole_room_finished.jpg  

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Bravo, Bravo (jumping up and down and clapping wildly), these things look great!!!!

Holy smokes good job Manlystanly type individual. I wish I had your skills
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

That's one good looking room. I see the main chair in the "sweetest spot". You make me want to redecorate my poor bachelor digs.

It can be my winter project. I wanted new furniture anyway. New nice looking acoustic treatments will be part of my redecorating. Thanks for giving me something to aim for.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    That's one good looking room. I see the main chair in the "sweetest spot". You make me want to redecorate my poor bachelor digs.

It can be my winter project. I wanted new furniture anyway. New nice looking acoustic treatments will be part of my redecorating. Thanks for giving me something to aim for.
    Good luck on your project Joe, I am in the middle of some major upgrades as well.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Joe and STtT,
    Coming from you guys, your kind words mean a lot! I've learned so much from AR and when I can I love to return the favor.

Best Regards,
    Stan

Very Nice...you go fella!
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Hey Stan,

The room looks great. I think we all agree that you've done a great job.
    Based on what I see, you look like a handy guy. Have you considered making DIY Corner Trap?
    http://www.realtraps.com/tri-corner.htm

-- In general very different sounding. Not sure if I like it or not. But, they look great.
    Over damping of the room can suck out music.
    Do you think you've done that?
    I don't have data to back it up but based on my taste, placing THICK panels in overly exciting room unbalance the room acoustics. I don't think it sounds natural to have overly LIVE walls and having DEAD sections. If I had to exaggerate it, it's kinda like listening to music thru a pair of Noise-cancelling headphones, and having only one channel activated.

The room treatment is a piece of audio gear. Much like components, we all have our own taste, so we just need to find what we like best. I don't think I've found what I like yet.

What's the dimension of your room? (Perfect square?).
    Also, can you use your cabinet as a large diffusor?

Thanks again for the great thread!!!

Have Fun,
    JRA

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Hey Stan,

The room looks great. I think we all agree that you've done a great job.
    Based on what I see, you look like a handy guy. Have you considered making DIY Corner Trap?
    http://www.realtraps.com/tri-corner.htm

Over damping of the room can suck out music.
    Do you think you've done that?
    I don't have data to back it up but based on my taste, placing THICK panels in overly exciting room unbalance the room acoustics. I don't think it sounds natural to have overly LIVE walls and having DEAD sections. If I had to exaggerate it, it's kinda like listening to music thru a pair of Noise-cancelling headphones, and having only one channel activated.

The room treatment is a piece of audio gear. Much like components, we all have our own taste, so we just need to find what we like best. I don't think I've found what I like yet.

What's the dimension of your room? (Perfect square?).
    Also, can you use your cabinet as a large diffusor?

Thanks again for the great thread!!!

Have Fun,
    JRA
    I gave a lot of thought to putting in corner bass traps, but I decided to just do panels instead. I'm pleased with my choice as it adds a lot of detail and bass to the sound.

Previously I had HUGE standing wave issues. Now, I still have them, but significantly smaller.

Dimensions: close to a square (20 x 24 feet).

I have not experienced that problem with thick room acoustic treatments. Mine just add to the sound.

Best Regards,
    Stan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information