Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My RX-A3000 was delivered

Today at 4:03 PM. Can't wait to get home to pull the RX-V2500 out and start hooking the new one up. HDMI rules!

Maybe I am feeling sick and need to go home early.
    (cough.. cough...)

WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael View Post
    Maybe I am ..... sick .......

And you know you can count on us to confirm your sickness.

Congrats on the new toy. Enjoy and we may see you in a couple of days?

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Today at 4:03 PM. Can't wait to get home to pull the RX-V2500 out and start hooking the new one up. HDMI rules!

Maybe I am feeling sick and need to go home early.
    (cough.. cough...)

You are so right. HDMI is. That's all you need to say.
    The wifes Pioneer receiver stopped working last week and I went out looking for a new receiver. Decided to get an Onkyo figuring the learning curve would be small since I have an Onkyo. Hooked up the speakers, she only has front L & R. Plugged in the cable box HDMI, Blu-Ray HDMI, and the HDMI out to the TV. That was it. It took me longer to reprogram her Harmony remote for the Onkyo receiver. Let us know how you make out with the 3000.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

HDMI rules!
    Still looks like a jungle back there for me

Good news and bad news. My 2 year old was very happy to see her daddy last night and wanted to play with him for hours. So there was very little progress on the new AVR. After she went to bed I managed to empty all the secondary items (CD's, DVD's, cables etc...) from the AV rack. Then loosened a couple of fasteners to let me slide the rack open more. It shouldn't take long to pull the old unit out and plug in a few HDMI cables, plus one extra component cable to the zone 2 TV. The speaker wires all have banana plugs. Wifey said that she'll distract the little one for an hour for me.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Ah....

The joy that is NEW GEAR!!! Besides HDMI and the new codecs and all that what else are you gaining? More power? More versatility? Better auto calibration? Enquiring minds want to know. Also, ahemp, I expect pics of the new gear AND the cute little lumpkin.. it's been a while you know. I'm happy fer ya's.

Worf

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    The joy that is NEW GEAR!!! Besides HDMI and the new codecs and all that what else are you gaining? More power? More versatility? Better auto calibration? Enquiring minds want to know. Also, ahemp, I expect pics of the new gear AND the cute little lumpkin.. it's been a while you know. I'm happy fer ya's.

Worf
    Thanks Worf,

It's not really much of an audio upgrade. It's going from 130wpc 7.1 to 140wpc 7.2. Although the HDMI will let me access the HD audio formats as well as SACD from the PS3. It's mostly for the video switching this time around. I have a projector and an LCD display in the main HT room. I have trouble switching from one source to another right now because my AVR doesn't have HDMI. I have my sources connected directly to the two displays via HDMI and component cables. Some of the sources will not let me output via both cables at the same time. One example is, that if I want to have TV on the LCD while playing a video game on the projector, I can't. Once the projector is turned on, the cable box will default to the HDMI running there, and the LCD looses it's signal.
    This new AVR will let me run all the HDMI through it and send video to either or both displays from one or more sources at the same time. I will have to set up a Zone 2 and 3, but it will work.

BUT! Then the old AVR will move to the bedroom to replace an old 95wpc 6.1 AVR, and that 6.1 will move to the little girl's room. Those two rooms will get nice upgrades out of this.

BUT! Then the old AVR will move to the bedroom to replace an old 95wpc 6.1 AVR, and that 6.1 will move to the little girl's room. Those two rooms will get nice upgrades out of this.
    And this explains how I have 4 systems

GM, what issues did you find on the Denon & Onkyo?

Quote Originally Posted by L.J. View Post
    And this explains how I have 4 systems

GM, what issues did you find on the Denon & Onkyo?
    Mostly hand shake issues with HDMI. I also ran into a lot of, "My 3 year old Onkyo died" threads. It probably only adds up to a small percentage of units sold, but I did not run into any, "My 3 year old Yamaha died" threads anywhere. The Denon's only seem to have been having the HDMI issues with their latest models.
    It should be an easier learning curve with the Yamaha as well. This great deal on last year's flagship model made it as easy choice.
    Last edited by GMichael; 08-10-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Forum Regular
    I also ordered the RX-A3000 from the same place. Suppose to get delivery today. Its a great buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mingus View Post
    I also ordered the RX-A3000 from the same place. Suppose to get delivery today. Its a great buy.
    Congrats!

Mine is on the counter waiting for me to plug it all in and turn it on. Hopefully the HDMI cables and new db meter show up soon.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Wow you put your daughter before new electronics. My nomination for Father of the Year! Enjoy your new receiver.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I will say that Yamaha has it down when it comes to reliability in my book seeing how I used to sell them and have used them in my theater side of my system for years they just don't break and when properly installed and cared for they will give years of enjoyment. If I ever decide to upgrade mine it will probably be to one of the Aventage Yamaha's that have gotten the rave reviews here lately but I am in no hurry everything seems to be good on my setup.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Wow you put your daughter before new electronics. My nomination for Father of the Year! Enjoy your new receiver.
    Thanks, but she left me little choice. It's hard to hook an HT system up with a 2 year old screeming at you and pulling on your pants. She wouldn't stop until I put everything to one side to play with her.
    All & all it was a great night though. She really turns up the cute quotient.

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    I will say that Yamaha has it down when it comes to reliability in my book seeing how I used to sell them and have used them in my theater side of my system for years they just don't break and when properly installed and cared for they will give years of enjoyment. If I ever decide to upgrade mine it will probably be to one of the Aventage Yamaha's that have gotten the rave reviews here lately but I am in no hurry everything seems to be good on my setup.
    So far I have had nothing but good luck with them. This will be my 3rd AVR from them. I had 2 of their motorcycles years ago too. They were top notch as well.

Forum Regular
    This is also my third Yamaha AVR. This replaces the RX-V995 in the living room. I also have a newer Yamaha in the basement HT. Never had any problems with any of them.

Forum Regular
    Yamaha has it down when it comes to reliability
    interesting, I've had my RXZ7 for a lot of years with no problems at all and a RXV657 with no problems since it came out.
    I've been looking at the Yamaha RX-A 3000 for a few weeks now and I like what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by mav52 View Post
    interesting, I've had my RXZ7 for a lot of years with no problems at all and a RXV657 with no problems since it came out.
    I've been looking at the Yamaha RX-A 3000 for a few weeks now and I like what I see.
    It's too bad that you missed this deal. YAMAHA RX-A3000 7.2-Channel AVENTAGE Network A/V Receiver App for iPhone or iPod Touch $1200 - Slickdeals.net

It started Saturday and they were out of stock by Tuesday. Check back with Slickdeals.net to see if a new one comes out soon. You could also go to Newegg's site and sign up to be notified if the price drops below $x.

Well, when I got home last night, Wifey had friends over.

So I had to...

....say screw it and set up the new receiver anyhow.

Between all the noise and confusion of 3 kids (under 6) running around and asking, "what's wrong with the TV?" And 4 women asking, "Why aren't you eating?" I managed to get it up and running. All calibrated (except the sub) and it sounds great.
    I wasn't expecting much of an upgrade in sound. After all, what can an extra 10 watts do right? I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe it was the new calibration. I don't know, but it does sound better. Not a huge improvement, but noticeably pleasing.
    The big change is in the video. Not so much with the 720p projector, but with the 1080p LCD. The colors really pop now. And it is sharper then ever. Geez, now I really need that new projector! There is too much difference between the main display and the secondary display. And it's the secondary one that looks twice as good.

Dang. I'll have to keep upgrading.

Whew.... that was a close one..

Well, when I got home last night, Wifey had friends over.

So I had to...

....say screw it and set up the new receiver anyhow.

Between all the noise and confusion of 3 kids (under 6) running around and asking, "what's wrong with the TV?" And 4 women asking, "Why aren't you eating?" I managed to get it up and running. All calibrated (except the sub) and it sounds great.
    I wasn't expecting much of an upgrade in sound. After all, what can an extra 10 watts do right? I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe it was the new calibration. I don't know, but it does sound better. Not a huge improvement, but noticeably pleasing.
    The big change is in the video. Not so much with the 720p projector, but with the 1080p LCD. The colors really pop now. And it is sharper then ever. Geez, now I really need that new projector! There is too much difference between the main display and the secondary display. And it's the secondary one that looks twice as good.

We were mere seconds from ripping up your man card when you pulled your (ahem) chestnuts out of the fire. Good on ya mate!!!

Worf

All calibrated (except the sub)
    BFD?

Grrr...I better stop reading this thread. Trying to hold out another year

BFD?
    Yeah. Still waiting on the new db meter. The old one crapped itself.

Grrr...I better stop reading this thread. Trying to hold out another year
    Good luck. You know that you need something.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    We were mere seconds from ripping up your man card when you pulled your (ahem) chestnuts out of the fire. Good on ya mate!!!

Worf
    I thought I felt something warm.

Next up..... Putting the RX-V2500 in the bedroom. Those poor little JBL E20's won't know what to do with all that power.

Forum Regular
    Receive the Yamaha yesterday.....but didn't get a chance to install until today. Play chauffeur last night and drove the kids back and forth all over the place after dinner. Got home early and set it up today. I connected a Sony bluray , Sony CD, Verizon FIOS cable box, SB Touch/Dac Magic & Samsung 50" 720P to the unit. At first listen sounds great....not calibrated yet (will do it tonight). The music thru the Paradigm sound a tad warmer (which is a good thing). When playing the bluray the images appears a little sharper and brighter even thru the 720p set (will be getting a new tv shortly). The SB Touch/Dac Magic combo sounds great. Haven't play around with settings yet. I am so glad I got this great deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information