Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Suspended

melvin walker is really killing high end audio

Does that answer your question Ajani?

Ajani
    LOL.... Yeah it pretty much does....

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Does that answer your question Ajani?

C'mon Rich, Mel's not killing it. As a matter of fact he's the only one here preserving it.

Everyone knows that the only true Hi-End audio equipment was made during the week of March 12 to the 19th, 1951. Mel's the only one around here that knows about dis stuff.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Be more tolerant of Melvin

melvin walker is really killing high end audio
    Melvin has a certain perspective on audio, music, cars, etc. It might seem archaic to most of us. But while we don't have to agree with him, we also don't have to try to drag him kicking & screaming into the 21st century against his will.

Melvin won't kill high end if we can hear him without letting it bother us.

I get the feeling that Melvin is some old guy in a mental home. He's got no money, no friends, no family and a touch of dementia.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I get the feeling that Melvin is some old guy in a mental home. He's got no money, no friends, no family and a touch of dementia.
    Even with all the baloney the guy puts up, I think that may be a bit harsh. I think he's sort of an Elder Sir T. He like what he likes, and that's that.

He does seem to have a grasp of the popular music, and equipment of his time, and thats what he wants to hold on to.

If he were a little more flexible with his dogma, and actually listen to others on the board, he might get a little more out of the experience.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Even with all the baloney the guy puts up, I think that may be a bit harsh. I think he's sort of an Elder Sir T. He like what he likes, and that's that.

He does seem to have a grasp of the popular music, and equipment of his time, and thats what he wants to hold on to.

If he were a little more flexible with his dogma, and actually listen to others on the board, he might get a little more out of the experience.
    I don't mean it to be harsh. It's just the feeling I get from the way he acts. He talks like he's from a well to do family with lots of breeding, but then he can't spell the word "or" correctly. Even after being corrected he still spells it as "are".He wants people to stick to audio but rambles on about cars watches and clothing on a regular basis, then gets upset when people respond to his statements. "Stick to audio." He talks down to people and then wants them to not do the same. He asks for examples and then ignores them once presented. He knows bits and pieces of things but can't put them together to form the whole picture. All speakers should be 12 feet apart no matter what? His elevator is not making it to the top floor.
    I'll try to be nice to him. But I can't make any promises.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Mutant from table 9
    Melvin hasn't bought any new hi-fi equipment in 50 years, he's not making or breaking anything. It reminds me of something else I find obnoxious.

I live in the suburbs of Detroit. Most people here are very dependant on the car industry. Accordingly, you see lots of bumper stickers with slogans that work on the Buy American theme, like "Out of a job yet? Keep buying foriegn." But often those stickers are on 20 year old pieces of sh!t. I buy a new GM every year (two cars on two year intervals - hence a new car every year) so I do my part. But, if you only buy a new car every twenty years, you're not really going to make or break GM or save anyone their job. Dummy with a bumper sticker.

Sorry for the digression.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Suspended
    Anyone who puts David Gilmore, Roger Waters, Richard Wright and Nick Mason in the same category as the Nazis's deserves absolutely NO respect. Period.

Now, excuse me while I go set up a steel cage match with Pixel d!ck.

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Melvin hasn't bought any new hi-fi equipment in 50 years, he's not making or breaking anything. It reminds me of something else I find obnoxious.

I live in the suburbs of Detroit. Most people here are very dependant on the car industry. Accordingly, you see lots of bumper stickers with slogans that work on the Buy American theme, like "Out of a job yet? Keep buying foriegn." But often those stickers are on 20 year old pieces of sh!t. I buy a new GM every year (two cars on two year intervals - hence a new car every year) so I do my part. But, if you only buy a new car every twenty years, you're not really going to make or break GM or save anyone their job. Dummy with a bumper sticker.

If you want to buy American, you ought to consider either a Toyota, or Honda. Due to import restrictions, more of those cars (either a % of the car, or the entire auto) are built here in the good ole' USA.

Buy a Ford, or GM, chances are the car is built in Canada, or Mexico. Ironic isn't it?
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Anyone who puts David Gilmore, Roger Waters, Richard Wright and Nick Mason in the same category as the Nazis's deserves absolutely NO respect. Period.

Now, excuse me while I go set up a steel cage match with Pixel d!ck.
    Hey don't forget James Taylor!

Also, on a side note, ever notice how Pixel, and Melvin format their responses? Similar format.

Single Paragraph format for 3-8 lines.

Little breakup between topics? Freqent grammer/spelling errors?

Maybe a case of Dr. Jeckel/Mr. Idiot?
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Hey don't forget James Taylor!

Also, on a side note, ever notice how Pixel, and Melvin format their responses? Similar format.

Single Paragraph format for 3-8 lines.

Little breakup between topics? Freqent grammer/spelling errors?

Maybe a case of Dr. Jeckel/Mr. Idiot?
    Pompus a$$ by day. Rent-O-cop by night?

Yep. It's more work to quote either because I have to remove the extra carriage returns. Maybe one day they'll embrace the concept of word wrap. Then again, maybe not.

rw

Suspended

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I don't mean it to be harsh. It's just the feeling I get from the way he acts. He talks like he's from a well to do family with lots of breeding, but then he can't spell the word "or" correctly. Even after being corrected he still spells it as "are".He wants people to stick to audio but rambles on about cars watches and clothing on a regular basis, then gets upset when people respond to his statements. "Stick to audio." He talks down to people and then wants them to not do the same. He asks for examples and then ignores them once presented. He knows bits and pieces of things but can't put them together to form the whole picture. All speakers should be 12 feet apart no matter what? His elevator is not making it to the top floor.
    I'll try to be nice to him. But I can't make any promises.
    Now I will stoop down and attack you. Your are either a psychologist are a fool ?
    I am sure you have better things to do than analyze me !

Quote Originally Posted by melvin walker
    Now I will stoop down and attack you. Your are either a psychologist are a fool ?
    Don't hurt your back when you get up from stooping old man. And those lines may work at the ole' home, but in here you need to be a bit quicker. Work on your combacks, then try again.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

OH No! I've been stooped down on. Whoops. I forgot the mean faces. Just pretend they are here.

"psychologist are a fool" Should be "psychologist or a fool" This isn't rocket science you know. Or maybe you just had a random thought and it should be "psychologists are fools"

I'm a little of both. Thanks for noticing.

Actually analyzing you has been a bit of fun. Go ahead, say some more strange things.

I'm sorry Mel. Just having a bit of fun at your expense. But you really do say some foolish things. I can't help poking fun at you.

I'll try to be nice.

Suspended
    I thought he meant "You are either a psychologist and a fool..." then forgot to finish the sentence. I'm easily confused though.

That may be closer to the truth.

Mel,

I'm sorry about picking on you. I feel bad. I just joke around a lot. That's what I do.
    Please don't be offended.

Suspended

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Melvin has a certain perspective on audio, music, cars, etc. It might seem archaic to most of us. But while we don't have to agree with him, we also don't have to try to drag him kicking & screaming into the 21st century against his will.

Melvin won't kill high end if we can hear him without letting it bother us.
    I have tried discussing the pros and cons of audio equipment. I have tried to compare the differences between audio today and yesteryear. I have given my opinion and made comparative examples.

I have posted many times that there has been an improvement in audio . I have also stated
    that cost is a major reason that the audiophile is disappearing. The audiophile's disappearance is due in part to inflation and rising interest in video.

The discussion was a comparison , it was not about me. Everyone has his are hers perspective as to what high end is . I have posted many times we can agree to disagree.
    Name calling , personal attacks and loose language has resulted.
    It appears that some not all of you appear to be unable to have a discussion when there is disagreement.
    It is very sad .

Suspended
    Don't hurt your back when you get up from stooping old man. And those lines may work at the ole' home, but in here you need to be a bit quicker. Work on your combacks, then try again.
    How old is your mother ?

Suspended
    Beefy I think he's trying to hit on your mother.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster

They were not manufacturing DVD recorders and CD recorders 50 years ago ! Stop buying Chinese and the banking system in America will collapse. China sends a billion dollars a day to American , supporting the American deficit.
    for your information my wife and I drive a 1996 BMW 850csi , 2003 BMW 545i and a 1999
    BMW 540i.

Buy Toyota , BMW , Honda , etc built mostly in the in the south. Michigan is dying because of the high labor cost ! I might also add that Detroit has a high school drop-out rate of 75% ! Do your part buy a Honda and support American workers in the south. The UAW has killed the American auto worker and helped the foreign auto companies with unrealistic salary and benefit demands.

Do your part buy a Honda and support American workers in the south.
    The truth isn't difficult to find if you are really interested. While there is a plant in Alabama, 70% of Honda's automotive production is in Ohio (they also build over a hundred thousand motorcycles there annually). When the Indiana plant gets online, your perception will hold even less water. Click here for the REAL STORY.

The UAW has killed the American auto worker and helped the foreign auto companies...
    Has the sky fallen? I'm actually going to agree with you in part here. While management has done their very best to tank the company by designing the wrong vehicles, the UAW has certainly done their part as well. Clearly, the most incredible act of stupidity is the "Jobs Bank" program at an annual cost of $200M. Just read the first sentence of this report: Pay them to do nothing.

The good news is that with vehicles like the new Malibu and CTS, GM is finally beginning to get it.

rw

How old is your mother ?
    Melvin, I'm sitting here in total shock. Someone that professes to come from a different era, and not interested in petty insults, and now THIS??? Are you seriously propositioning a married woman?

Have you lost your mind? Or is this how a "gentleman" of your era acts? You must be copying the loose morals, and trashy behavior of your mentor, Frank "Known Philanderer" Sinatra.

Next I suppose you want her phone # and address so you can send some "love"? Not likely. Why I bet you even pinch the butts of the nurses at the home you dirty old man.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

Elder Sir T??? BEEF!!!!....(chasing GB all over the room with mini louisville slugger....)
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs