AR Newbie Registered Member CAPacelli's Avatar

Lookin for a sub to match my system and meet my needs

okay, right now i have a pretty decent stereo system...it's a little bit on the old side with with oldest component being about 10 years old and the speakers more in the 20-25 year old range. everything works and sounds great together...only problem is i have no bass. nothing. ive been looking for a while for a subwoofer to add to my system, cause it's a little embarassing when the system on your PC sounds better than your big component system
    i use my system for music, movies, and videogames. i primarily listen to rock with a little bit of techno and house thrown in for good measure, so havin that bass would come in handy big time.
    i was lookin over the manual for my reciever and was unsure about what exactly i will be needing to complete my system...a sub or a sub and amp combo. my current set up is listed below...im not looking for a 'top of the line' subwoofer, just something to compliment my set up and serve its purpose. thanks for all the help!!

My System:
    Harmon/Kardon HK 3375 Reciever
    Sony CDP-C235 5 CD Changer
    Sony TC-C5 5 Cassette Changer
    Sony PlayStation 2
    Virtuoso Floor Speakers (not sure on any kind of specs...about 20-25 years old)
    Realistic Shelf Speakers

i can provide some more info if ya need it, like on specs and such

Forum Regular
    Does your reciever have a sub output? Line level inputs may be necessary.

I have a JBL PB-10. It's about $300 new, plays quick notes great, but still dips below 30hz fine. I couldn't find anything in it's price range that could touch it, and many $500 woofer setups couldn't sound as good as it.

What do you listen to?
    Breaking all the Speed limits in MN with two Gears!
    And avoiding noise violations with my B&W's in the dorm..

yeah it does have a sub output, but idk if it has an onboard amp or not. i listen to rock (all kinds) and electronica (see previous post for system usages). $300 is a lil outta my proce range. idc if its used, i was thinkin more about $100, ive seen brand names go for about that on ebay

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPacelli
    yeah it does have a sub output, but idk if it has an onboard amp or not. i listen to rock (all kinds) and electronica (see previous post for system usages). $300 is a lil outta my proce range. idc if its used, i was thinkin more about $100, ive seen brand names go for about that on ebay

If the sub out terminal is an RCA type, it doesn't have an amp for the sub which you really don't want as most subs are powered with large amps.
    mtrycrafts

yeah it has RCA type plugs...so i guess thats one questions answered

so what kind of sub do you all reccomend??

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-632

Very good reviews. great brand and is suppose to be good for the money. A $400 sub would probably blow it away, so if you can save up to that much you could get a decent sub.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPacelli
    so what kind of sub do you all reccomend??

How much do you want to spend?
    You may want to check the Sep 2003 issue of Sound & Vision in which Tom Nousaine reviewed 10 subs, $400-$1600 range.
    mtrycrafts

he said around $100

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by This Guy
    he said around $100

Missed it. That is hardly enough for a good sub Bought a Shiva driver once for more
    mtrycrafts

Thread Information