Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Listening Space update

Thought I'd add to my post count and add this pics of my current set-up.......

Thanks for the show

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Thought I'd add to my post count and add this pics of my current set-up.......
    Thanks, kid. Are those the Optimus 5s or the EPI 100s we're seeing -- or both?

I love the big mean ol' Sansui. That would be early 80's, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Thanks, kid. Are those the Optimus 5s or the EPI 100s we're seeing -- or both?

I love the big mean ol' Sansui. That would be early 80's, right?
    Thanks for noticing Feanor!

You are right about the Optimus 5's but the other pair are Marantz Imperial 5G's. The Sansui is powering the Imperials which are a fairly uncommon speaker.

You are right on the Sansui, it was made from 80-82 with a MSRP of $800. Mine was made in 81. Nice sound-very powerful and has a good tuner. The EPI's are awaiting a quick refoam, after which i will decide if they go up to my bedroom system or repalce either the Optimus or Imperials in my downstairs 2-channel.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    That Sansui is a nice unit.

Stuff like that always makes me want to build a vintage system...just need another viable room. Maybe the kitchen.

Speaker placement, eh? You ever get to pull them puppies out into the room? It might help imaging...then again mebbe not. Don't know anything about the particulars on those particulars.

Overall, looks to be a very comfortable room.

Forum Regular
    Hi Kid; I remember the 5Gs. If I am correct, it is a two way 8 inch speaaker with a port. They did produce rather good sound. In 1974, I auditioned the 4g,5g,6g and I think the 7g three way 8 inch speaker system. At that time the store had a line of Pioneer and Marantz receivers. Forget about Pioneer receivers in 1974 for their sound quality; Pioneer did not get their great sound quality till later on. Their recievers at that time sounded like mush and could not push any of the Marantz line the day I autiioned the speakers. Such was not the case with the Marantz receivers. Of the 4 models, I choose the 6G two way ported 10 inch which IMHO delived the most bang for the buck at that time which ran $174 for the pair. My second choice would have been the 5Gs.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsci
    Hi Kid; I remember the 5Gs. If I am correct, it is a two way 8 inch speaaker with a port. They did produce rather good sound. In 1974, I auditioned the 4g,5g,6g and I think the 7g three way 8 inch speaker system. At that time the store had a line of Pioneer and Marantz receivers. Forget about Pioneer receivers in 1974 for their sound quality; Pioneer did not get their great sound quality till later on. Their recievers at that time sounded like mush and could not push any of the Marantz line the day I autiioned the speakers. Such was not the case with the Marantz receivers. Of the 4 models, I choose the 6G two way ported 10 inch which IMHO delived the most bang for the buck at that time which ran $174 for the pair. My second choice would have been the 5Gs.
    Thanks for the back story. You nailed it on the 5G, it is a ported two way. These have the original blue woofer that was somewhat unique to Marantz from what I hear and from what I have been told a CMS tweeter. I did hook these Marantz up to a Pioneer 9000 which dates from 1970 and it sounded okay. Once I get the EPI's and Genesis I's re-foamed there will be a whole lot of A/B going on to see which speakers stay downstairs. My wife likes the wood cabinets on the wood floors which is the only way I could get her to agree to having two sets of speakers in the living room.....
    Last edited by thekid; 09-01-2008 at 05:41 PM.

Cool

I had two pairs of Optimus speakers, they were a very underrated speaker.
    In the early eighties I got a yamaha receiver and a pair of GENESIS
    speakers as part of a "system" deal.
    Loved those, but the rubber was gone outta em in a decade or so.
    AND THEY STILL SOUNDED OKAY.
    Buying older equipment is a great way to have a quality stereo,
    in some respects older gear is better than todays, in todays dollars
    that Sansui would cost around two grand, for two channels.
    AMPERAGE back then was for real.
    Anyway that is a nice setup you have, not sure about the Kenwood stuff tho, but I LOVE THE REST
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thanks-Pix
    Mr Peabody got me started down the road on the Kenwood Basic gear after I picked up a C-1 at the local SA. While I do not have the widest range of experience with 2-channel gear I think the Kenwood Basic series is pretty good and somewhat underrated though you would not neccessarily know it by what it often sells for on E-Bay. The M1D/C2 combo I am using is from the 80's while the speakers are from the 70's so I guess to make it a true vintage system I need to go back further for my amp/pre-amp. When I get it all cleaned up I may move the Sansui upstairs and go with the Pioneer SX-9000 to power one set so I have a complete 70's based system.

Schweeet....

Wish I had even that much room for a dedicated 2 channel listening space. Ahm jealous LOL
    Great taste in vintage gear and you already know what I think of your choices in speakers.

Nice...

Da Worfster

The lastest version.....

There has been some more changes so I thought I'd update this post yet again.

This set up is now more about gear of an era more than pure SQ. With the exception of DAC and Denon CDP everything in this set-up is 60's-70's era gear that I have been picking up here and there. I will probably be rotating other speakers through this set-up but I just liked the idea of matching for example a Realistic STA-52 with a pair of Minimus 7's or using the XAM's as a working speaker stand for the KLH-17's.

In these photos

Kenwood TK-250U Amp
    Sansui AU-505 Amp
    Kenwood KR-3600 Reciever
    Realistic STA-52 Reciever
    Kenwood KT-7500 Tuner
    Denon DCD-1500
    MSB DAC

Optimus 5 speakers
    Minimus 7 speakers
    KLH-17 speakers
    XAM 3D speakers

Don't worry Worf- the Genesis/EPI combo is only on hiatus until I another area of the house ready for them.......

My wife has pretty much given up at this point in discussing my gear.......

And yet another update with some of the latest gear obtained...........

Aright!

And yet another update with some of the latest gear obtained...........
    Nice going. Some changes, eh? You've got a Marantz receiver from the early '70s, maybe a 2230. And Luxman receiver from the late '70s, maybe an R-1050?

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Nice going. Some changes, eh? You've got a Marantz receiver from the early '70s, maybe a 2230. And Luxman receiver from the late '70s, maybe an R-1050?
    Feanor

Thanks for noticing, you almost nailed it.

The Marantz is a 2245. (See post in Vintage Gear) and the Luxman is indeed a R-1050. The Marantz is powering the KLH-5's, The Sansui AU-505/TU 517 combo runs the Large Advents and the Luxman is the source for the KLH-17's. I use a switch box to connect all of them to my MSB DAC using a Sony DVD player as the transport. The Nakamichi tape deck is run off of the Sansui and I am probably going to run either a Dual 1019 or 625 as the TT.

The 17's are in a spot where I can easily rotate some of the other speakers that I like but do not have room for in this set-up such as the Genesis I's and 10's, Optimus 5's and EPI 100's. Once I move my daughter up to college I am renovating the garage a bit in order to have yet another listening area for music. It kills me to have gear just lying around but I past the saturation point a long time ago.

I really do think though that with the addition of the Marantz and Luxman recievers plus the speakers I have picked up in the last year that I have a pretty good vintage mid-fi set-up. I won't stop looking for the occasional great deal such as the $9 Wharfedale 60E's I got the other day but otherwise I think I am done.

I have said it in several other posts but I really do appreciate the help of AR members, especially the regulars such as yourself, who have helped me throughout these last couple of years as I have got back into music.

Here we grow again.....

Thought I'd add some pics with the new KLH's in place.
    High WAF with the "matching" grills......

Cool

Dont know how any wife could put up with eight speakers!
    If the rest of the wives find out she'll be banned.
    But they do look good, I HAVE ALWAYS thought that the "advent" look was better than anything out there today, the design studios took a bad turn somewhere.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Pix

I read your post to my wife and she just laughed.

She does put up alot with my addiction but when she rolls her eyes at the next piece of gear coming in I remind her it is pretty much the only thing I get to do these days outside of work.

While I understand practical matters of WAF and placement, have you ever been able to place the speakers ideally - i.e. splitting the thirds of the room width away from the walls, both side and back? It is only really then that you can fully exploit what your speakers are capable of doing.

rw

E

I have been able to bring them out on occasion and you are right that it makes a difference in the SQ. Unfortunately I have had to make compromises with the missus just to get this gear into the room they are in. On the plus side my seating area is only about 8ft from the the "wall of speakers" so I think that lessens the negatives a bit since this almost a near field type of situation. I know having the right side basically in the corner is probably adding bass and in general the left and right speakers are too close to each other. I have thought about taking the main console and putting it in the corner and then have the speakers on either side but this might create to severe a "toe-in" situation. There are only 2 long walls in the room; the first has a double window and blocking it in anyway has already met resistance. the other wall faces the front door and I have been told that "no way the first thing people see when they come in our house is a bunch of speakers".....

I would add to that stands. Just about any "bookshelf" speaker will sound better on stands. A cinder block or two will be a good demo. If you decide to keep them around wrap plastic trash bags around them. It really improves the looks. Get the tweeters at ear height when seated. The sound improvement is worth it.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    I would add to that stands. Just about any "bookshelf" speaker will sound better on stands. A cinder block or two will be a good demo. If you decide to keep them around wrap plastic trash bags around them. It really improves the looks. Get the tweeters at ear height when seated. The sound improvement is worth it.
    I have a couple of pairs of nice stands but they angle up slightly and I not sure would allow me to "stack" the other speakers in the manner I have but I might give it a shot and see. I know the 5's would benefit from being off the floor.

The cinder block and trash bag arrangement would never get past the missus plus I am not sure with my wife it would be good for my health to have such objects too close when she gets a little upset at me.....

On the plus side my seating area is only about 8ft from the the "wall of speakers" so I think that lessens the negatives a bit since this almost a near field type of situation.
    Well, yes and no. Double Advents require more distance for the drivers to blend. And you need to invert the upper pair for best results.

I know having the right side basically in the corner is probably adding bass and in general the left and right speakers are too close to each other.
    The corner is adding boom, not usable bass.

I have thought about taking the main console and putting it in the corner and then have the speakers on either side but this might create to severe a "toe-in" situation.
    "Severe toe in situation"? It would minimize the corner effects and allow you to spread the speakers a bit.

and I have been told that "no way the first thing people see when they come in our house is a bunch of speakers".....
    Having all the speakers there at one time is not only an issue for wifey, but compromises sound quality. I would recommend rotating the speaker choices or moving the other sets and one of the receivers to the garage or elsewhere.

I give my double Advents plenty of room to breathe.

rw

E

Thanks I might see if I can shift things around a bit and take the corner out of play. Forgive my poor choice of words there but the corner does add boom not bass in this set up. You are right about the inverted stack I need to flip the 33's so that the woofer is at the top.

BTW- Nice garage and garage set-up!

E-Stat, that blue thing on the left is blocking one pair of speakers. You should get rid of it. I'd be glad to take it off your hands. I wouldn't charge much for cleaning out your garage.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Joe

You would never get near it.

The "killer kitty" would maul you with its sharp nasty teeth as soon as you step in the garage. How else to explain two sets of minty looking OLA's unattended in a open garage......

Forum Regular
    Most of the time, people post pictures of their setup with some really nice gear right up against that back wall in the dining room with absolutely no room treatments whatsover. If you wanna know my opionion, it looks aesthetically fine. But performance wise, you might as well be listening to an aiwa. It is some very nice vintage gear though. Those optimus speakers are indeed under-rated.
    Last edited by EYEdROP; 09-07-2009 at 02:15 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information