Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    VB VA
    Posts
    2,307

    Like Father-Like Son......

    Well finally got around to setting up my son's game/music system. Used all DCM speakers and I am powering them with an old Pansonic HE-75 5.1 surround sound receiver. He is very happy with his little corner of sound...

  2. #2
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,421
    very nice, I've always liked DCM back when they had the Time window's.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  3. #3
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Very cool. Is this his first rig?

  4. #4
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    VB VA
    Posts
    2,307
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Very cool. Is this his first rig?
    More or less. we had little set-up in his old room but the room was very small and just did not allow for decent position of speakers. When he moved into the my daughter's old room and I had the DCM's sitting I thought this would work. He has really gotten into music in the last 2 years or so. I was going to do a separate 2-channel set-up but he really just likes this set-up. Several times a week will ask me to come in and hear one song or another as he is playing it.

  5. #5
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    VB VA
    Posts
    2,307
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    very nice, I've always liked DCM back when they had the Time window's.
    You mean something like this.......

  6. #6
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,421
    Exactly!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  7. #7
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    VB VA
    Posts
    2,307
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Exactly!
    I am listening to my pair right now. Technically they are the rear surrounds in my all DCM HT set-up but because I use separate amps for the front,center and rear I can listen to them in just a 2-channel set-up as well. Excellent speaker for classical and accoustic music!

  8. #8
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Analog Synagogue
    Posts
    4,363
    Nice. I picked up alot from my dad. He passed when I was 12, which meant I got a bunch of his gear that he left to me. It wasn't until I was about 14 that it all really started to come together. My bass playing began to take off, and thus my interest in reproduction.

    I always think about him when I see the latest audio tech product. He never got to see DACs, SACD, music servers, etc. Wonder what he would have thought of it all...

    Anyhow, not trying to be a downer, all happy stuff here. Just saying its great when you can share your passion with your kid, kid. Hahaha....

  9. #9
    Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In Old Pickup Truck, Cruising Hickville
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Well finally got around to setting up my son's game/music system. Used all DCM speakers and I am powering them with an old Pansonic HE-75 5.1 surround sound receiver. He is very happy with his little corner of sound...

    Your a good dad. Enjoy these years while you can. I have five kids (Ages: 27, 24, 22, 8, 6). All age groups are good, but right now I've really enjoying my youngest ones (6 and 8) gobs. When they get older they are so busy with there own lives (which is what you would want).

    Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

    Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

  10. #10
    Phila combat zone JoeE SP9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,710
    Manley:
    A 14 year gap?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

  11. #11
    Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In Old Pickup Truck, Cruising Hickville
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Manley:
    A 14 year gap?
    Umm.... Pour planning?????

    No, really, we always wanted to have more children. So, 7 years ago, we adopted a little girl from China and then soon after a second little girl (Abby and Amanda). Our family and friends truly thought we were nuts. But we are really happy with them. My wife is Chinese so she is enjoying teaching them Mandarin and the Chinese culture.

    I have one son left at home, but soon, it will only be my wife and our two girls...... You know, it takes a real man to live with 3 females. :-)

    Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 12-07-2009 at 05:23 PM.
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

    Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

  12. #12
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    Umm.... Pour planning?????

    No, really, we always wanted to have more children. So, 7 years ago, we adopted a little girl from China and then soon after a second little girl (Abby and Amanda). Our family and friends truly thought we were nuts. But we are really happy with them. My wife is Chinese so she is enjoying teaching them Mandarin and the Chinese culture.

    I have one son left at home, but soon, it will only be my wife and our two girls...... You know, it takes a real man to live with 3 females. :-)

    Best Regards,
    Stan
    Commendable, Stan.

    My wife & I thank heavens every day that we quit after two. We love them, but hate kids in general.

  13. #13
    Sgt. At Arms Worf101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Troy, New York
    Posts
    4,288

    Wahhhh

    He keed, what's it take to get you to adopt me and give me a nice sytem like dat? Eh? Humm? Eh?

    Hey Manley, good on ya M8. Sharing the love is the greatest calling any human being can do!!! Soon as knucklehead's off to college we'll probably find a kid somewhere who can use my crumudgeonly talents.

    Da Worfster

  14. #14
    music whore Happy Camper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Greater Cincinnati area
    Posts
    157
    Time Windows were and are a great speaker. A pleasure to listen to natural instruments with.
    d HC b

  15. #15
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    VB VA
    Posts
    2,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    He keed, what's it take to get you to adopt me and give me a nice sytem like dat? Eh? Humm? Eh?

    Hey Manley, good on ya M8. Sharing the love is the greatest calling any human being can do!!! Soon as knucklehead's off to college we'll probably find a kid somewhere who can use my crumudgeonly talents.

    Da Worfster

    Let me do a CBA to see if you are cheaper to keep/maintain than a 17-year old boy. If the numbers work in your favor then your in and he is out but you have to keep the room clean and take the trash out every other Friday...........

  16. #16
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,421
    I would love to find a pair of TW's in good condition. They were out of my price range years ago and I was looking at the TF's and Genesis 44's before they went under.

    I ultimately bought a pair of Cannon TLS which were affordable but did not sound as good. They had a large passive radiator in the rear. Great bass and warmer sounding but the treble had a slight sizzle to it.

    http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/sh...g&ppuser=34948
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  17. #17
    Sgt. At Arms Worf101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Troy, New York
    Posts
    4,288

    Lol...

    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Let me do a CBA to see if you are cheaper to keep/maintain than a 17-year old boy. If the numbers work in your favor then your in and he is out but you have to keep the room clean and take the trash out every other Friday...........
    It seems we've been infested by the same pest "Teeageus Laziticus". My son has only 2 "jobs" get good grades and take out the garbage every Sunday night. Now, cept for a hiccup here and there, he's a stellar scholar and a good athlete, no REAL complaints. However, considering how bright he is why does he have to be reminded of taking out the friggen garbage EVERY SINGLE WEEK????

    And then on top of having to be reminded, he misses half the bags and NEVER gets the recycling done!!!! It makes my head spin and my blood boil. If it weren't for the fact that he's basically a "good" kid I'd be strangling him constantly!!! As for the CBA, lets do a heads of trade, my knucklehead for yours and a couple of speakers. I'm sure your son would LOVE suddenly finding himself in a an all boys, Catholic Military School eh?

    Worf

  18. #18
    music whore Happy Camper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Greater Cincinnati area
    Posts
    157
    d HC b

  19. #19
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    VB VA
    Posts
    2,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    It seems we've been infested by the same pest "Teeageus Laziticus". My son has only 2 "jobs" get good grades and take out the garbage every Sunday night. Now, cept for a hiccup here and there, he's a stellar scholar and a good athlete, no REAL complaints. However, considering how bright he is why does he have to be reminded of taking out the friggen garbage EVERY SINGLE WEEK????

    And then on top of having to be reminded, he misses half the bags and NEVER gets the recycling done!!!! It makes my head spin and my blood boil. If it weren't for the fact that he's basically a "good" kid I'd be strangling him constantly!!! As for the CBA, lets do a heads of trade, my knucklehead for yours and a couple of speakers. I'm sure your son would LOVE suddenly finding himself in a an all boys, Catholic Military School eh?

    Worf
    Worf

    Sounds like you have a son to be proud of and reflects your efforts as a father.
    Congratulations!

    I have been very fortunate with both of my kids who have never given me a moment of heartache or grief in all of their years. (knock on wood!!!)

    I have noticed a bit more pride in the way my son keeps his room since the new system was set-up. He was always pretty good about keeping his room clean but since the new set-up has been in place he has stepped it up a notch.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •