Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Talking Just moved to Canada - Any Canadians here at AR.com?

Just finished the move this week, and so far I'm loving Canada. Not the first time I've lived here, but the first time I lived here as an "adult". It takes me 8 minutes to drive to my new office, I can walk along a river during lunch hour, buy tons of that blessed Canadian beer, and you can get bacon on absolutely everything you order at a restaurant!!!

There's a few other ar.com-ers in Canada that I'm aware of, Joel and RGA (who's about as far away from me as one can be in Canada).
    Any other Ar.com-ers from the great white north? Any Atlantic Canadians?

Forum Regular
    Im a west coaster myself
    Vancouver.

Forum Regular
    I live in Atlantic Canada.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

cam
    Welcome Kex. I'm way over on the west coast in Surrey which is only about 25 minutes out from downtown Vancouver. Ah yes, are beer is good, Kokane, Molson Canadian, LGD, and yes our Canadian made Budweiser is superb. In fact Bud and Kokane are one and two. I do remember you saying you would not turn into a stinkin Leaf fan, I'm just hoping you won't turn into a stinkin Hab fan either. Over hear in Vancouver there is only one eastern Canadian team I can cheer for, Ottawa, and that goes for alot of us western Canadians. Don't be a stranger EH.

Yeah, I did the Sens quite a bit...mostly out of my hatred for all things Toronto...Can't say I've ever been a Hab fan...use to live in Winnipeg and Edmonton back in the day...when Winnipeg got screwed out of a team my loyalties shifted to Ottawa. Sigh...guess I'm cheering for H.C Davos of the Swedish Elite League this year.

Forum Regular
    Cambridge, Ont. here.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    You'll have to change the Bangor Main thing unless it's some sort of Sexual inuendo(Like you haven't heard that before). :-)

RGA: It took me about 4 reads to figure out what the heck you were talking about because I hadn't mentioned specifically where I cam from...Forgot all about the Location thingy in the member profile.
    I'm actually not too far from Bangor as the crow flies (5 hours or so), but it seems like a world away.

Now...to figure out how to change that...

So there's a few of you guys on here...cool. I'm currently residing in Freddy Beach, Nouveau Brunswick...My old (and new) job take me to Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Toronto quite frequently, as well as Halifax, Ottawa and Montreal once in awhile...My father's a Canadian (NFLD) my mom's an American...Yes I do have dual citizenship...unfortunately, I'll have missed both elections this year

It's scary unreal how cheap speakers are here, and how expensive components are here relative to the USA. If someone could open up a duty free A/V shop in Windsor or something, we'd all be better off.

London, ON, recently Regina, SK, before that T.O. and Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Just finished the move this week, and so far I'm loving Canada. ... Any other Ar.com-ers from the great white north? Any Atlantic Canadians?
    Welcome to Canada!

I've enjoyed my trips to the Maritimes so I dare say you'll enjoy New Brunswick.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Kex.

The Canadian speakers here are not cheap - they just rip Americans off.

Here is something stupid. CD and DVD movie prices when yuo go to Future Shop I have found to be far cheaper generally than what I saw in the States. But what is weird is that the DVD's CDs made in the US are sent to Canada and then they're cheaper??

I also remember buying my Pioneer CTS 709 3head cassette deck in Washington State for $319.00 while here in Canada it was $699.00. But the US version only came with 90 day warranty while here it had a 2 year gaurantee. And back then our dollar was like .62

But hey we have Smarties and Coffee Crisp. Enjoy.

Forum Regular
    Hey there,

I'm currently living in Winnipeg MB. Believe it or not, we tied with Siberia for the worst summer in the northern hemisphere.

Anyway, just thought I would say hi, and how much I love some of the Canadian audio products such as Paradigm and Totem

I currently own absolutely zero audio or visual equipment. I keep reading these forums pretending I have the money to actually spend on the products everyone recommends

I think I'm going to purchase a set of Fluance SX-HTB speakers. I know they are not the best, and I could likely get two Paradigm mains (bookshelves) for a little more than these cost, but I am not an audiophile. I want to get the best bang for the buck without breaking the bank, and my main focus is home theatre. They are also a Canadian product, BTW. I will likely mate them with a yamaha receiver and maybe an onkyo DVD player. I'm really liking the Hitachi CRT RPTVs also.

Ubique Quo Fas et Gloria Du****
    "Wither Right and Glory Lead"

Hey, all....I'm tempted to incorporate a little maple leaf or something in my avatars or signatures...how cool and distinct would that be...we could all be a little Canadian maffia or something...
    wear your colours proud!

Forum Regular
    Canadian Mafia... for some reason that makes me laugh.

However, if you believe the US Government, BC (or wherever it is that Canada has softened their stance on pot) should be crawling with them by now

Forum Regular
    NFLD here.

Hey Bob, my Dad's from Stephenville, I have tons of family in Corner Brook, Saint John's/Mt Pearl...can't wait to visit next month, it's been a while since I've thrown back some Blue Star and my Screech supply is dangerously low!!!

I'm way up in Northern Ontario here near Kapuskasing. Had snow the past couple of mornings already.

Forum Regular

Talking

I am out West, good ol' Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Forum Regular
    Thorold, Ontario (near Niagara Falls) here.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    whiterock.............west coast........eat your hearts out

cam
    Quote Originally Posted by urokimknot
    whiterock.............west coast........eat your hearts out
    Back in 1990 I was a 19 year old PUNK and I would go up and down the strip in Whiterock in my 90 5.0 Mustang thinking I was sooo cool. Nowadays I still venture there to go to the Boathouse restaurant for some very good food. It is too bad that everywhere is now pay parking.

I had a 1990 5.0 Rustang too...(bought 2nd hand in 1995) Ugly pale white with some red pinstripes...The engine was the only thing that worked properly...but damn I loved that car, it was my 1st!!!
    My friend had a Plymouth K-Car (Reliant) with a 2.2 L that looked very similar to my Stang...he use to tease me.
    Today I see all these kids with their jazzed up Civics and Cavaliers and can't help but think "where did we go wrong?" Whatever happened to cubic-f'n-inches???

This was posted today on the AV123.com forum and I thought I would pass it along to the members here. Great company, great products, and great value. I do own their speakers and they still keep a smile on my face. Sorry for what looks like an infomercial, but I thought posting it in this thread would give those from Canada another good option.

"For the next 90 days if you have a Canadian "Ship To and Bill To" address our offer will include the following:

Take the Best Rocket price on anything we offer and multiply it by 1.29 and this will be your Canadian Dollar Price.

ALL Duties paid by av123

ALL Brokerage Charges paid by av123

All Taxes are paid by av123

All Freight Charges are paid by av123 (see below for the fine print)"

http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5272
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

Thanks for the heads up Tin...

Quote Originally Posted by TinHere
    This was posted today on the AV123.com forum and I thought I would pass it along to the members here. Great company, great products, and great value. I do own their speakers and they still keep a smile on my face. Sorry for what looks like an infomercial, but I thought posting it in this thread would give those from Canada another good option.

"For the next 90 days if you have a Canadian "Ship To and Bill To" address our offer will include the following:

Take the Best Rocket price on anything we offer and multiply it by 1.29 and this will be your Canadian Dollar Price.

ALL Duties paid by av123

ALL Brokerage Charges paid by av123

All Taxes are paid by av123

All Freight Charges are paid by av123 (see below for the fine print)"

http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5272
    Any stand-out recommendations you could make to a potential and curious buyer?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Any stand-out recommendations you could make to a potential and curious buyer?
    Thanks for asking.

All their products are good value. The Rocket series of speakers is geared more to home theater and the Reference series was developed more for two channel listening and offers a little more treble energy than the Rockets. Both series can be configured for HT or 2channel and have center channels. The Rocket RSC200 is an outstanding speaker for HT. They have also just introduced [not yet shipping, but real soon] the RS1000 with an 8" woofer [not subwoofer] with a 350W built in amp. Preliminary reports from the few people that have these speakers has been VERY positive. The Strada series [soon to be released] will remind people of Genesis at a much lower price point. The mini Stradas will be introduced at around $1600 and like their big brothers have a built in woofer. He will also be introducing stands for the Rocket ELT series that have a powered woofer built in.

They have subwoofers, and will introducing soon the UFW-12 will come shipped with R-DES which is a computer based equalization system for subwoofers. R-DES will also be sold seperately.

They are also taking pre orders for EMOTIVA seperates pre/pro and amp [5x125W] that is around $1200. They also have EMOTIVA in a big boy version with pre/pro and amp [7x200W] designed to satisfy the higher end crowd.

This company also has developed the Perpetual Technologies gear that will offer a finalized version of SOCS [speaker only correction softwear] that tackles speaker phase issues that no crossover can address.

Mark Schifter, the founder, was a major player in the development of Genesis speakers, Audio Alchemy, [and much more] and now makes cabinets in his China factory for around 14 other speaker companies including VMPS.

Like I have posted here before [not lately], this company is cutting edge. Their customer service is something few if any can match. Mark's goal was to bring high quality sound at a reasonable price, and by most reports no matter how much someone spent, he has succeeded. Well worth checking out IMHO.
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information