Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Romanticist Philosopher

Smile I just can't stop listening!!!!! (To soft rock)

It sounds so damn good. For the past 90 minutes while surfing the web I've been listening to a surprisingly awesome quality recording. It's Christopher Cross's Greatest hits. This morning I caught "Arthur's Theme" from the movie Arthur on digital cable. I had to go to Best Buy and get it for just $7.99. I just can't stop listening!!!!!!! Somebody save me. I think I'm addicted. It sounds so good. 8 Behringer EP2500s screaming in Dolby Pro Logic IIX and I guarantee that my Sony speakers(The ones at Bestbuy) never sounded so good. The sound retreiver on the Pioneer VSX 1016TSV just adds even more depth to the soundtrack, too.

Do you find that as you have bought different gear over the years your listening tastes have changed as well? I've found that as my system grew in power(Now 7800 rated watts) and complexity I have drifted ever so slowly towards more soft rock and just now I've drifted somewhere I've definitely never been into the "New Age" genre. I just ordered two albums from an artist who calls himself Gandalf. I'm a fan of Lord of the Rings so sure the name caught my attention when it popped up on the Soundscapes digital channel but the wonderful song called Sacred River just was a spiritual experience in a dark room matrixed processed into a multi-channel format from 2 channel Dolby Digital. Its the kind of music you would hear in the old Black Isle Icewind Dale PC games. That guy was a great composer much like the Final Fantasy guy whose name I can't spell.

I just don't feel any connection to today's popular music world and virtually all the pop music I listen to is at 10 or 15 years old. So Gandalf it is. Christopher Cross, Chicago, Lionel Richie, The Eagles, etc.... All with such depth and presence I just can't stop listening.

Multi-channel agreement

Quote Originally Posted by Robert-The-Rambler
    Do you find that as you have bought different gear over the years your listening tastes have changed as well? I've found that as my system grew in power(Now 7800 rated watts) and complexity I have drifted ever so slowly towards more soft rock and just now I've drifted somewhere I've definitely never been into the "New Age" genre.
    I just don't feel any connection to today's popular music world and virtually all the pop music I listen to is at 10 or 15 years old. So Gandalf it is. Christopher Cross, Chicago, Lionel Richie, The Eagles, etc.... All with such depth and presence I just can't stop listening.
    Good for you for enjoying multi-channel. I'm in complete agreement that things are possible with M/C that simple aren't with 2 channel. Your eight Behringers will really pump it out, no doubt.

As for the soft rock/New Age, perhaps you can find counselling.
    Last edited by Feanor; 03-13-2007 at 10:33 AM.

The wife loves the soft rock station from our cable company. It's on in our house for many hours every day. Neo6 music is the setting we use. The Dolby Pro Logic IIX is not shabby either.
    I find myself (cough cough) enjoying it a little. Please don't tell anyone.

HARD ROCK FOREVER!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Hhhmmm...

...7800 Watts?...SONY?...soft rock?...This...does not compute!!!

New Age?...Bought one while browsing at some trippy little, artsy-f@rsty shop while looking for a geode...It was playing at the time and seemed innocuous enough...ambient background stuff...been there, done that...with all the arpeggiated chords and swirling synths, IMO they all sorta' meld into each other...

Other than mostly new releases of some classical stuff, most of what I've been buying lately has been '50s and '60s jazz...some of it mono, just about all of it good for the head...Although I must confess, last night I was listening to disc two of Led Zeps' "very best of" collection The Song Remains The Same, Kashmir, Houses Of The Holy, No Quarter etc.still some pretty good stuff...

And no, I haven't found my gear changing all that much over the last 30+ years, other than some additions...good music is good music, good sound is good sound...

jimHJJ(...you might want to try some Native American Flute music...very ethereal, nearly unworldly...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Yeezh. Ye gods, no. Christopher Cross, Air Supply, these are probably the artists I dislike the most.

Good for you, though. Someone has to enjoy it.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    ^my sentiment exactly [sound of retching] !

Peace. j/king

If you enjoy it that is plenty good enough
    . Me? I wouldn't shout that from the rooftops - i 'd have to kick my own @ss!
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Enjoy it while it lasts. Once you get tired of hearing same old, same old of your music collection. Your listening sessions will start to diminish. But this can take several years. Finding new music that you like is essential to keep the passion for listening alive. And that can be difficult once you've gleaned all the good stuff that suites your taste.

Romanticist Philosopher

Smile You're right. Its a cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wireworm5
    Enjoy it while it lasts. Once you get tired of hearing same old, same old of your music collection. Your listening sessions will start to diminish. But this can take several years. Finding new music that you like is essential to keep the passion for listening alive. And that can be difficult once you've gleaned all the good stuff that suites your taste.
    I'll be cranking AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Dokken, Dio, Skid Row, Santana, Cinderella, Whitesnake, Metallica, Megadeth, Extreme, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osborne, Sammy Hagar, Bon Jovi, Supertramp, Rush, Soul Asylum, Collective Soul, Guns & Roses, Journey, Steve Miller Band, among others soon. <>__<>
    Last edited by Robert-The-Rambler; 03-13-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Romanticist Philosopher

Thumbs up Do they have rehab for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Good for you for enjoying multi-channel. I'm in complete agreement that things are possible with M/C that simple aren't with 2 channel. Your eight Behringers will really pump it out, no doubt.

As for the soft rock/New Age, perhaps you can find counselling.
    I do love fiddling with the DSPs on my receiver and it really allows you to prepare for whatever type of music you might listen, too. Anyhoo, this New Age stuff really seems like it could close the deal quite well when it comes to romantic encounters. I'm always thinking ahead or was it with my head?

Romanticist Philosopher

Smile Here is the funny thing....

Quote Originally Posted by hydroman
    ^my sentiment exactly [sound of retching] !

Peace. j/king

If you enjoy it that is plenty good enough
    . Me? I wouldn't shout that from the rooftops - i 'd have to kick my own @ss!
    I'll bet it is loud enough for my neighbors to make out what I'm listening to. Now, I do wonder what they are thinking, especially the women of the neighborhood, no matter who they are.

Romanticist Philosopher

Thumbs up LOL Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Yeezh. Ye gods, no. Christopher Cross, Air Supply, these are probably the artists I dislike the most.

Good for you, though. Someone has to enjoy it.
    Lost in love and I don't no much....... LOL

Even the nights are better now that we're here together......

I'm lying alone with my head on the phone thinking of you till it hurts.............

I can make every tackle at the sound of the whistle

I can make all the stadiums rock

But I'm never gonna make it like you do

Making love out of nothing at all

Don't forget about Loggins and Messina and Dan Fogelberg

Though we aint got money

I'm so in love with ya honey

Its father and son

Its the way its been

Since the old days

I've got more. <>__<>

2 > 8

When it comes to CD's I ALWAYS listen to them in 2.0 stereo. Nothing else will do. This does not mean that I am a hardcore 2-channel dude. Not quite. I love Multi-channel when it's meant to be, I do not want my receiver decided how to turn 2 channels into 5, 6, 7, whatever. CD's are meant to be stereo, SACD's are meant to be 2.0, 4.0, 5.1 or whatever they are mixed as. Same goes for movies, DVD-A, etc. More speakers does not mean better and when you have a great set of mains you don't need anything else messing it up!

Forum Regular
    I'll be cranking AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Dokken, Dio, Skid Row, Santana, Cinderella, Whitesnake, Metallica, Megadeth, Extreme, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osborne, Sammy Hagar, Bon Jovi, Supertramp, Rush, Soul Asylum, Collective Soul, Guns & Roses, Journey, Steve Miller Band, among others soon. <>__<>
    I think you have great taste,I'm an 80's rocker and I find as I get older I continue to like the music I listened to as a teen,some of the Euro new age has excellent music quality,and Little River Band,Pablo Cruise,Eagles,James Taylor,Bozz Scaggs are just excellent soft rock music,Ride like the wind by Chris Cross was an excellent song!
    Marantz SR-18
    Eosone RSF1000's
    Eosone RSC 300 Center
    Eosone RSF 400's
    SVS PC 20-39
    Samsung 42" DLP
    Xbox 360
    PS3 60gig

Gents...Let's not forget about JJ Cale for pure songwriting

After Midnight, Call Me The Breeze, Cocaine and many many more

Just my 2 pesos
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

What?...

...no Michael Bolton or Kenny G?

jimHJJ(...ZZZzzz-z-z-z-z-z...)

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser

I remember going to a Bolton concert when he was a rocker,saw him with John Butcher Axis,but there's a difference in soft rock between the sugar coated cotton candy crap and the real Soft Rock,you know,like the difference between Steely Dan and Leo Sayer?I listened to alot of the Cliff Richards kinda soft rock,remember Devil Woman?
    Marantz SR-18
    Eosone RSF1000's
    Eosone RSC 300 Center
    Eosone RSF 400's
    SVS PC 20-39
    Samsung 42" DLP
    Xbox 360
    PS3 60gig

When wifey has the soft rock station on, I hear a lot of Chicago, Lionel Richie, The Eagles, Boston, Styx, Elton John, ......
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

don't even get me STARTED on soft rock...

Romanticist Philosopher

Smile Absolutely not!!!!!!

Bolton has no place in my current library. I do have a Kenny G greatest hits collection but I really do not care for his intrument of which gives me the sudden need to fall asleep not in a good way.

Others I listen to include Richard Marx, Jim Croce, REO Speedwagon, Rod Stewart.....

Don't get...

Quote Originally Posted by powerlord
    I remember going to a Bolton concert when he was a rocker,saw him with John Butcher Axis,but there's a difference in soft rock between the sugar coated cotton candy crap and the real Soft Rock,you know,like the difference between Steely Dan and Leo Sayer?I listened to alot of the Cliff Richards kinda soft rock,remember Devil Woman?
    ...me wrong...I like Steely Dan and yes GM, I like The Eagles and probably some others whose names now elude me, although I don't know if I'd categorize the two mentioned as soft-rock...Are we saying anything that isn't Deep Purple or Black Sabbath is to be considered soft? Some members of the so-called genre will render me comatose or gagging...That's a mighty wide pigeon-hole...

It's simply within the confines of this thread that the paradox of soft-rock (poppy, floppy, sugary-sweet, sloppy), New Age and 7800Watts caused my participation...

jimHJJ(...as usual dazed and confused...)

...me wrong...I like Steely Dan and yes GM, I like The Eagles and probably some others whose names now elude me, although I don't know if I'd categorize the two mentioned as soft-rock...Are we saying anything that isn't Deep Purple or Black Sabbath is to be considered soft? Some members of the so-called genre will render me comatose or gagging...That's a mighty wide pigeon-hole...

It's simply within the confines of this thread that the paradox of soft-rock (poppy, floppy, sugary-sweet, sloppy), New Age and 7800Watts caused my participation...

jimHJJ(...as usual dazed and confused...)
    How you or I would categorize soft rock doesn't seem to mean much to my cable company. H.ll I've heard some hip hop songs on that station as well as country and Boston & Aerosmith. It seems to be whatever sounds soft to whoever is doing the picking. But overall, it's not bad. (uh, did I say that?) No no no... Heavy Metal rules!!!! Rush, Yes, PF....

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    AAhh - now yer talkin'!

[insert air guitar.mov here]

"You agree with me now - you must be a Genius! And a connoisseur of fine music" LoL

OHmuhgosh - i am becoming smug now! What has this forum done to me?
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Forum Regular
    I think most of your soft rock came in the 70's and then came the 80's with hair bands and euro and club,and then it went alternative,and now there should be a change coming up again because the music scene is a bit stale right now and has been,my daughter is 18 and her and her friends listen to 80's metal now,go figure!
    Marantz SR-18
    Eosone RSF1000's
    Eosone RSC 300 Center
    Eosone RSF 400's
    SVS PC 20-39
    Samsung 42" DLP
    Xbox 360
    PS3 60gig

Romanticist Philosopher

Wink What does she look like?

Quote Originally Posted by powerlord
    I think most of your soft rock came in the 70's and then came the 80's with hair bands and euro and club,and then it went alternative,and now there should be a change coming up again because the music scene is a bit stale right now and has been,my daughter is 18 and her and her friends listen to 80's metal now,go figure!
    I think that is great. Music should not be about when it was made. It should be about how it connects with you and your friends.

You pretty much summed it up well how things have developed the last thirty years.

Romanticist Philosopher

Thumbs up Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hydroman
    AAhh - now yer talkin'!

[insert air guitar.mov here]

OHmuhgosh - i am becoming smug now! What has this forum done to me?
    I think this forum corrupts absolutely. <>__<>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information