AR Newbie Registered Member

How would you complete my system? Linn Ninka+?+?

Hi
    I need buying advice. I am basically building a system from scratch. I have a pair of Linn Ninka's so far. I am looking to spend around $2000 on used equipment as to maximize my $. I basically need an amp and a cd player. I listen to all sorts of music both rhythmic and harmonious, - classical, rock, electronic.
    Does anyone have the Ninka speakers?
    Should I bi-wire with two amps? Will it make a big difference in the sound?
    Can anyone suggest amp/premamp combos?
    It will be in a big room with a big tv also, so i will use the system for movies too, although music takes priority.
    thanks

Forum Regular
    Buy the new Naim Nait 5i integrated, which retails for $1350. It would be a great match with the Linn's. I would not be in a hurry to bi-amp. In my experience you will get a system that will play louder, but not necessarily sound better. There is, however, only one way to find out; by doing home experimentaion. As for the CD player, You could always buy a decent DVD player and go with a external DAC. Both Benchmark-highly regarded in Stereophile- and MSB Technologies make very bood units. The Benchmark retails for @$900. While MSB has model starting at @ $400, for a basic model.

Otherwise, you could look into Cambrigde Audio, Rotel, and Music Hall. Any of CD players from these manufacturers would maximize your investment!
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Suspended

Complete? Sounds like you haven't started

I'm not familiar with the Ninka's. Linn's Klassik is a nice all in one piece. They even have one now at about $2,5k that has HT built in. Naim is excellent gear but unless they have changed with the Nait, their gear is proprietary. Special connections keeps you limited to their other components. But that's a limit one could easily live with if they could afford the other components. Arcam has put themselves out of reach with a $5k pre/pro but their receiver has great sound quality.

I would recommend staying with solid state with the large variety of musical taste. In addition to the traditional internet used gear places you might check www.spearitsound.com under used/demos/specials

Forum Regular
    The Nait 5i use standard RCA inputs so you can use any interconnects you like, or any other manufacturers components. They also allow for the use of any speaker cable you choose. I guess they want to broaden their horizons; as well as their consumer base.
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Thread Information