Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Pix your such a misogynist pig, take that!

Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Pix your such a misogynist pig, take that!

I will have you know that I have never done any gynecology at all(outside of
    the usual amateur stuff).
    Thanks for the pic.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Somehow you guys are totally correct.

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    If we have more reviews on the items and they pop up at the google search that will help get many people. I see new products hasn't been added in a long time plus some repeat a lot like most of the sony receivers. If we have more reviews that will appear at the google search, that will attract many people. Thats how I got here. I post a lot of pics so in every search audioreview site appears.

dakatabg - this is good point but actually a lot of new items have been added, unforunately they are being added by hand and it is slow process. I have some help for this but most of the large data transfers that one would hope would be in effect currently aren't for a variety of reason. I've been trying to be good about getting requested stuff added, but I can be better. So if there is stuff you think needs to be added, even if it is like - hey add all the new stuff from this manufacturer - please shoot me an email or PM and the stuff will get added.

The plethora of duplicate or old products is slowly being dealt with. We got our archiving tool working again, but on the couple sections I tested it on it mess up our inflow of traffic from search engines into those sections. If I archived some of the bigger stuff it would seriously hurt traffic and there for ad rev. But it is on my plate to get dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    Exposure....without looking at the page hits, I'd guess most folks hit the homepage. The homepage contains tons of information, but none promoting the "forums" area.
    Forums is just a small link under the "SHARE" button. Chances are, most folks will never know this site has a discussion forum.
    I suggest a "Forum" pane be placed on the homepage with the most recent, popular threads listed. Basically, a Forum pane with the top 5 discussions. This should draw traffic inward.
    Just looking at the homepage, there is a section open just below the "10 Most Popular" pane.
    This is a good idea. I've toyed with putting something together in the past but it would have to manually updated at this point. This is good idea and I'll see what I can come up with. If I could get some of you to shoot me a PM of a hot thread when one is going down please do. I unfortunately am not everywhere on the forums. For instance I almost never go into Off Topic/DYI/ or some others. So help this admin out with a simple PM and I can do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    There is nothing here really to attract anyone to this site. We need more equipment reviews, but you also need movie and music reviews as well. Not some hankty volunteer your own review type of thing, but an official Audioreview section devoted to semi professional reviews of both music and movies.

There, I said it. Now I feel betta
    Don't railroad yourself into some free work....

But I agree. I've been talking to someone about getting some music reviews on the site. At this point though I can only help those who will work for free. But once something gets started I'm sure there is a way to get new CDs and DVDs into reviewers hands for free.

Though in all honesty this isn't really the focus of the site though it is a small subsection. I like what Tone has been doing in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    One thing that is puzzling is why so many will view one's thread and never take the time to comment. It's particularly discouraging when a member takes photos and posts them and still gets zero responses.

I like this forum as it's not so terribly technical and I believe there is a niche for that. We should be aiming more content at folks who are just getting started. I think we assume most readers know the basics which is not always the case.

I love AC's "cheap and cheerful" and this forum should encourage something similar.
    can you PM me a link please?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    PE has a nice feature where when a Mod deems a thread too far off topic, political, or otherwise not related to music, they send it to PM only and include all who posted in the link. Maybe something like that may help if our usual bickering is truly what turns people away.

I really don't think that to be true. I have been here for over 12 years and the same 20 or so folks are still here while thousands have come and gone.

Maybe you could try banning us old timers to see if traffic picks up.
    So the forum is too old for it's own good... I see I see.

What is PE - can you PM me a link please. That feature sounds interesting, it might be in the new version of vB.

And yeah - sorry - there is no going back at this point, but hopefully the new version of vB will offer some features similar to what used to be.

Thanks all for the suggestions -

I think some of them, like the 'whats going on the forums' (better name pending) is totally doable. As well a better tie in from the product pages to the forums is possible. That really is just a preset google search with some variable keywords.

I think photos and more reviews is also a great idea. I know it is hard to write reviews. I mean, I do it as part of my job.... and it is still hard.

I answered a lot of your post one to one - and if I didn't answer your post don't think I didn't read it.

How would you all feel if this forum was a little heavier handed. I'm starting to think it might be good for some of you long time members with certain grudges to really start to put those aside. But I agree that really it is a numbers came. The more people i/we can attract the more will stay.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    vB is not the issue here. While it may have changed a dynamic that used to exist, Audio Karma is proof posistive that vB is perfectly fine for a site of this type.

I know some of you post at AK, but it is truly thriving. One big difference? It's moderated with a heavy hand. They have a "philosophy", if any thread turns into too much of a fight or goes OT, it gets closed. The reason there is so much fighting and such here is that we are pretty much left to our own devices. I am not suggesting a military state, but it's a point to ponder.
    PoppaC, just for fun, if you have the ability, go back and query how many posts and threads just the Rave Recs board had, 6 months prior to vB, and then 6 months after for the whole forum.

AK had many members long before our switchover and more than likely from the beginning software. The "Dynamics" that changed were what this place used to be. I'm not sure how long you have been here to know how it used to be.

I started posting in the Cable forum only for a long time. There were multiple full time debates and threads to state your points (read as Argue) within. After getting my @ss kicked for both knowledge and experience at the time, I migrated over to the Rave Recs board where I met many a great virtual friend. That board had a whole lot more than the now regular handful posting every day. Then it changed. After RR died due to several reasons I recently branched out to find good posts on almost all the boards, but the traffic on any one given day here matches what you missed in an hours time back then just on RR. (am I right old timers? Give me a H@ll Yeah!)

Maybe more heavy handedness would be fine. It's been proven forever that people cannot properly police themselves when left alone. I'm guilty, you're guilty. Go ahead, close threads, delete unruly posts, ban abusers. Respect draws more than chaos.

And, a good ole flame war now and then can be good fun when concerned parties make nice at the end. It happens once in a while. It also draws a crowd.

Now on the other hand, people who continuously post about $12 pc speaker, won't mention names, those posts should just be deleted after the 20th time or so. Smarter than people give him credit. He knows exactly what he is doing.

I plan to hang out, good or bad.

Does this forum have an identity? A reason for being? Is Rave Recs its identity? If so, that's not much to hang your hat on. AudioKarma for example is loaded with talk of old gear. That's their bag. If the enclosure isn't wood-grained, get it out of here. Turntables, speakers, tube amps...they're older than I am.

So anyway...it's perhaps a case of being what you are...which isn't a big attraction. Daily banter among 20 virtual friends doesn't make for much of a forum, really. I don't know that reviews are going to help, either. In the case of AK, they have 7 people currently viewing the reviews, 80 in Vintage Solid State, 89 in Turntables and 121 in Speakers.

Sure cliques, fights and a$$holes drive people away. But then maybe there weren't that many stopping in to begin with.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Does this forum have an identity? A reason for being? Is Rave Recs its identity? If so, that's not much to hang your hat on. AudioKarma for example is loaded with talk of old gear. That's their bag. If the enclosure isn't wood-grained, get it out of here. Turntables, speakers, tube amps...they're older than I am.

So anyway...it's perhaps a case of being what you are...which isn't a big attraction. Daily banter among 20 virtual friends doesn't make for much of a forum, really. I don't know that reviews are going to help, either. In the case of AK, they have 7 people currently viewing the reviews, 80 in Vintage Solid State, 89 in Turntables and 121 in Speakers.

Sure cliques, fights and a$$holes drive people away. But then maybe there weren't that many stopping in to begin with.
    Ouch. Hit em where it hurts my froggy friend. I agree with you however, there is no niche being offered here except the fact that I am here. Let's face it, I am very cool. AK has the vintage thing and the Asylum has the $250 000 amp thing...what do we have?

Where I disagree with you noob is that I think the review angle could be made to be great. It's what draws alot of people here, if not to the forums, to AR as a site. The question is, what to review and how to get it. We are far from being a bunch of respected reviewers, so why should any company lend us anything.

I didn't mean to hit or hurt. I'm just stating my opinion of where this place is lacking. They have fights and cliques at the Asylum all the time and the traffic keeps coming. If you want to have a meaningful exchange about a Koetsu cartridge by golly you can have one.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    How would you all feel if this forum was a little heavier handed. I'm starting to think it might be good for some of you long time members with certain grudges to really start to put those aside.
    I, for one, would be in favour of that. As long as the heavy-handedness is also kept in check and is done fairly. Mods cannot show favourtism. I think that disagreements on a site like this are good. It promotes discussion. If everyone agreed on everything we'd have nothing to talk about. But too many of these disagreements have become personal...and tiresome. That's where the heavy-handedness should come in. Argue about cables all you want, but no name calling allowed.

As the sole regular female poster on this site, I would also like to see some heavy-handedness where sexism is concerned. I don't want to ruin anybody's fun, but there have been several threads that I have pulled away from because of comments or photos that make me uncomfortable (semi-naked women with machine guns for instance). I realize that audio seems to be a male-dominated hobby but this is an audio site, not a men's locker room. I've been around here for eight years, so I've learned to ignore this stuff and stop visiting those threads. But since we're talking about attracting new members, it's the kind of thing that would keep me from returning to a site.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    i agree that there should be an OBVIOUS direction to the forums AND the tighter moderation might help. there have been some exchanges here that should have been stopped long before they had deteriorated into a pishing contest. i am not suggesting that it gets as bad as i have heard it is at a'gon.

another feature would be an easy way to post your system without having it displayed in every post, and encourage members to list their system there. when someone asks for help with their choices, its easier to make suggestions if you know what they already have.

thats all i can think of now but give me time.
    ...regards...tr

Forum Regular
    I think the huge number of user reviews is actually a great draw. (as long as they are continuing to get added) It's just a matter of getting that to translate into forum activity. In fact, I read those reviews well before I ever visited the front page or the forums, because they tend to come up on google when you search for a product name. Maybe you could make the updating a little easier by having a link for manufacturers to add their own gear. (but not review their own gear ) Even if it was just a form that emailed the info to you so it could be easily added for now, it might prompt the info to come to you.

FWIW, I find Audio Asylum maddening to navigate. I actually prefer vB.

The reality is there's a critical mass a forum has to reach in order for there to be sufficient interesting discussion to appeal to a wide range of people. Moderation is important to ensure that the discussion is not off-putting, but the focus has to be sources of traffic to try to achieve that level - which includes all of the different types of content that has been mentioned in this thread. The key is to find efficient ways to produce it and use it to drive traffic to the forum.
    Tim Evans
    East Street Audio
    Onix, Melody, & ACA

Suspended
    Now that I'm used to it I like VB and find posting/reading on other forums not as easy.

I agree that stricter moderating could help as long as it was done fairly.

More notoriaty for discussions on the front page was a good idea.

Let's all try to think of new threads to start. Some will die and some will get traction but we have to try, share news found other places on the web, share your system changes no matter how small, maybe we need to start a thread on an album we find good and just don't limit to posting a pic in "What's Spinning".

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    i agree that there should be an OBVIOUS direction to the forums AND the tighter moderation might help. there have been some exchanges here that should have been stopped long before they had deteriorated into a pishing contest. i am not suggesting that it gets as bad as i have heard it is at a'gon.

another feature would be an easy way to post your system without having it displayed in every post, and encourage members to list their system there. when someone asks for help with their choices, its easier to make suggestions if you know what they already have.

thats all i can think of now but give me time.
    Hey hifitommy - i'm pretty sure there is that option in the user profile page, as well one can edit their sig and put their system in there. in fact if you click on my user name you'll see in the profile i just said to see my sig.

do the long sigs bother that many people? i've kind of learned to look past them, but I can see how a photo showing up every post.... PC are your ears burning?... could get a little old. reduced sigs? I don't think this really turns people off? I guess, before we worry about turning too many people off over the little things i/we should focus on attracting people. I can do what I can do on the homepage and other pages on the site, but need you guys to start with some good topics. Here I'll start one in the speaker sections. Watch...

Adam, it seems like a lot of people join the site, ask their question, and move on. They may not realize what a great community of people we have here. Perhaps in the Welcome Letter that you email to new members, you could point to the community aspect of the forums. In fact, maybe the forums should be renamed to Forum Community. What we have here at AR is more than just an information forum, although it can be just that to those who aren't interested in sticking around. But AR really has become a community over the years and I think that we can capitalize on that.

You could also fix the damn site to stop telling that I've double posted.

This is a good idea. I've toyed with putting something together in the past but it would have to manually updated at this point. This is good idea and I'll see what I can come up with. If I could get some of you to shoot me a PM of a hot thread when one is going down please do. I unfortunately am not everywhere on the forums. For instance I almost never go into Off Topic/DYI/ or some others. So help this admin out with a simple PM and I can do the rest.
    Adam, here is a homepage with my suggestion..
    http://www.avrev.com/
    .it's on the Left pane-halfway down and is titled, "Popular Forum Topics". The list is comprised of links -- they go directly to the thread.

Side note, I test (QA) websites for a living, going on 11 years now. If you have something to test or ensure it works as advertised, drop me a PM or email. I've been on/off this site for a decade now and will be glad to give back. My time is limited, but I work for free!!!

Chicago IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    Adam, here is a homepage with my suggestion..
    http://www.avrev.com/
    .it's on the Left pane-halfway down and is titled, "Popular Forum Topics". The list is comprised of links -- they go directly to the thread!
    good site, I just checked it out! Everything new is there!

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Thanks all for the suggestions -

How would you all feel if this forum was a little heavier handed. I'm starting to think it might be good for some of you long time members with certain grudges to really start to put those aside. But I agree that really it is a numbers came. The more people i/we can attract the more will stay.
    I have some strong reservations about the more heavy handed approach. Having watched a certain individual misuse his power on two occasions, I am concerned that this approach can be used to censure somebody if the way the board is moderated isn't changed. While I agree discussion can get a little heated, and quite a bit personal, if discussion after discussion is crushed because of poor judgement, it could lead to another member exodus which is the last thing we need right now. I say this because it has happened on this board before, and it could happen again.

I think some lively discussions are actually good, as some great information has come out of some of them.

As far as grudges go, you do have some Billy Graham types that do talk out of both sides of their mouths. If an individual does not know how to get past old events, then perhaps they are not mature enough to participate on these forums.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Strangely,I find myself in agreement on a couple of points from the last post. I for one do not like a "heavy hand" approach to moderation. Moderation by it's name means to have a calming influence. A bludgon might calm you down by knocking you out, but you would doubtfully not be back for more, and keeping member is what we all want right?

I also agree that people should let "bygones-be-bygones". There's no need to have to stalk your percieved enemies and attack them with verbal abuse whenever the moment presents itself. We are all hopefully evolved above "monkeys" and are not delusional, or under the influence of hard drugs, and can see the error of a continuation of this course of action. For one I am ready to "smoke-the-peace-pipe" as long as it's not cracked that it...
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    For one I am ready to "smoke-the-peace-pipe" ...
    I for two am ready as well. Hey, don't bogart that....
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information