Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

High End Equalizers?

I would be interested in any recommendations. Transparency and low distortion and noise are the priorities, lots of bands isnt that neccesary. In fact, a five band would suite my needs. I also have no need for an analyzer or added tape loops.

High quality and simple here.

Behringer would be the route that I would go.

I second that.

Here's a good place to poke around.
    http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

As mentioned, Behringer

Quote Originally Posted by jim1961
    I would be interested in any recommendations. Transparency and low distortion and noise are the priorities, lots of bands isnt that neccesary. In fact, a five band would suite my needs. I also have no need for an analyzer or added tape loops.

High quality and simple here.
    Behringer make both analog and digital equalizers. Bear in mind that the digital do first ADC, then DAC from analog sources. The digital type can accept digital input and also output digital, so in that case you could go CDP coaxial => EQ => preamp, or CDP coaxial => EQ => outboard DAC => preamp.

Other companies make EQs as well, e.g. dbx. Most are listed in the "professional" equipment category.

Search AR forums for posts by member 'Mike Anderson' who used a Behringer digital EQ until quite recently.

This is one of the few times (esp. in the world of audio) where there aren't too many companies that offer great EQ's and Behringer really has a hold on the market in terms of a high quality product at nice prices.

Forum Regular
    Are these the units you all mean?

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/studio_a...behringer.html

Yeah, but those are a little expensive.
    This one would work just fine: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHDSP1124P
    Or any of these: http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?fo...2756&cat2=3526
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Interesting, cause Behringer has a reputation for only making so-so mixers.
    So im to understand that the best EQ's around can be had for under $300, but a decent pre amp is over $1000 ? Something seems wrong here.

Interesting, cause Behringer has a reputation for only making so-so mixers.
    So im to understand that the best EQ's around can be had for under $300, but a decent pre amp is over $1000 ? Something seems wrong here.
    It is. Behringer is not high end. Good bang, however, for cheap bucks. I use the Behringer FBQ3120 with my powered subs for flattening out the bottom three octaves. Works great in that application. Once I ran it full range in the vintage system and quickly discovered its limitations. Soundstage shrinks, everything gets brighter, and loses resolution. While the digital unit is arguably better, you need a pro unit to get around using $.14 op amps in the circuitry. Something like these units (which are passive anyway) from Manley Labs and Langevin:

Pro EQ

rw

Here's a thought

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    It is. Behringer is not high end. Good bang, however, for cheap bucks. I use the Behringer FBQ3120 with my powered subs for flattening out the bottom three octaves. Works great in that application. Once I ran it full range in the vintage system and quickly discovered its limitations. Soundstage shrinks, everything gets brighter, and loses resolution. While the digital unit is arguably better, you need a pro unit to get around using $.14 op amps in the circuitry. Something like these units (which are passive anyway) from Manley Labs and Langevin:

Pro EQ

rw
    Jim,

E-Stat is right of course suggest the Manley's might be better. At 10x-40x the price of Behringer they ought to be better. But let's remember you were the guy looking for the $450 preamp, so to some of us the Behringer suggestion sounded reasonable.

Why not squander $100 on, say, a Behringer FBQ1502 15-band EQ just to see if the equalizing is having the desired effect for the poor recordings? As long as your running the Hafler, the Behringer isn't going to make the situation all that much worst. If you're getting the sort of balance you want, then go for the multi-kilobuck Manley ...
    http://www.behringer.com/FBQ1502/index.cfm?lang=eng

Mutant from table 9
    Alot of people will argue that an EQ isn't hi-end at all, but they are super fun and can help flatten the curve.

Between Behringer and Manley lives Rane.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Rane-THX-44-Home...QQcmdZViewItem

Just google Rane Equalizers and you'll find plenty. I would go used.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Alot of people will argue that an EQ isn't hi-end at all, but they are super fun and can help flatten the curve.
    I hear you and have always been a "purist" at heart . OTHO, I find there is a certain "rightness" to the sound when the tonal result is neutral, independent of resolution, soundstaging capability, etc., especially in the lowest octaves. I can indulge my speakers in the main room with a forest of bass traps and placement wherever they want - achieving the same primary goal. The HT is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Between Behringer and Manley lives Rane... I would go used.
    Good calls.

rw

Rane...

I have used RANE before and was not really that happy. The few units that used were a bit "quirky" and I find the Behringer stuff much more user-friendly. I also agree that in conjunction with price...it would be an easier fit price-wise to match your other components. I don't know too many people who would spend 5-10x on their EQ as their pre-amp, etc etc.

Let us know your results!

Do any of these include test discs to help in setup?
    E.q used to be all of the rage, and then the "purist" movement came in, playing the sound without coloration
    But the best car stereo I EVER HAD HAD AN alpine eq in it, and people marveled at how good it sounded, I have often wondered if an EQ on the front two channels of my system might improve the sound of my system
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Do any of these include test discs to help in setup?
    E.q used to be all of the rage, and then the "purist" movement came in, playing the sound without coloration
    But the best car stereo I EVER HAD HAD AN alpine eq in it, and people marveled at how good it sounded, I have often wondered if an EQ on the front two channels of my system might improve the sound of my system
    I just bought this test CD from Rives. http://www.rivesaudio.com/software/softframes.html

It's made to help comphensate for the imperfections of the Radio Shack sound meters, but will work with any meter.

Suspended
    What about the Audio Control products? I've always heard good things about their products. I own their entry level Octave. They have one specifically for Home Theater, The Rialto, which provides EQ for five channels, plus two subwoofers.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I just bought this test CD from Rives. http://www.rivesaudio.com/software/softframes.html

It's made to help comphensate for the imperfections of the Radio Shack sound meters, but will work with any meter.
    THANKS
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    My first choice would be a 2 ch, 2 band parametric eq, but seemingly their more money than the 31 band standard eq's.

Kind of odd isnt that?

Maybe you'd like ...

My first choice would be a 2 ch, 2 band parametric eq, but seemingly their more money than the 31 band standard eq's.

Kind of odd isnt that?
    The Behringer TUBE ULTRA-Q T1951 equalizer. A stereo 5-band parametic equalizer with at tube output buffer. I have one; haven't used it for a while but one of these days I'm going to put it back in circuit and see how it works with my current equipment.

Yes, we're talking Behringer, no, it's not high-end but it does work quite well. There is a very slight softening of HF transients but almost no loss of resolution. By the way, tubes have nothing to do with the equalization per se: the unit willl work even if the tubes burn out which happened to me. Without the tubes, though, there is a wee bit of grain added to the sound.
    http://www.behringer.com/T1951/index.cfm?lang=en

I really don't care for EQ's myself....I like it all natural baby! Anyway, I only have solid experience with Behringer, which as others have pointed out isn't HIGH END, but they do make great product ranges that will get the job done for what it seems like you are trying to accomplish. I would personally invest my money in room treatment and acoustics long before an EQ.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    The Behringer TUBE ULTRA-Q T1951 equalizer. A stereo 5-band parametic equalizer with at tube output buffer. I have one; haven't used it for a while but one of these days I'm going to put it back in circuit and see how it works with my current equipment.

Yes, we're talking Behringer, no, it's not high-end but it does work quite well. There is a very slight softening of HF transients but almost no loss of resolution. By the way, tubes have nothing to do with the equalization per se: the unit willl work even if the tubes burn out which happened to me. Without the tubes, though, there is a wee bit of grain added to the sound.
    http://www.behringer.com/T1951/index.cfm?lang=en
    This one might just be the one for me. Thanks!!!

Forum Regular
    Found a 3 band Parametric EQ, the PreSonus EQ3B. Anyone heard of it?

http://presonus.com/EQ3B.html

Forum Regular
    I found a ART dual Tube Parametric EQ for $200

http://www.canadapromedia.com/sales/art/dualtubeeq.htm

Im going to buy it monday. Ill you all know what I think of it. Thanks for all you contributions!

Go for it!!

I found a ART dual Tube Parametric EQ for $200

http://www.canadapromedia.com/sales/art/dualtubeeq.htm

Im going to buy it monday. Ill you all know what I think of it. Thanks for all you contributions!
    Should work well. At the very, very least you'll understand what EQ can do.

Forum Regular
    Have to say, this solution turned out well. This EQ (ART Dual Tube) is much more transparent than the Hafler DH-110 pre amp was. The ART, coupled with a Adcom slc 505 passive was a significant upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information