Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Ajani
    Guest

    Hi-Fi Finally Embracing The Times

    Before I begin this thread, I'll add this disclaimer: This is not a response to existing threads about Vintage Gear (If you love Vintage then continue to do so).

    I saw two new products from B&W that got me excited (not because I plan to buy them, but because of the trend they represent). The P5 Headphones (the first ever headphones from B&W)

    http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=4534

    and more significantly the MM-1 Computer Speakers.

    http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=4503

    Both products are aimed at younger music lovers, who may not have started down the road to audiophilia yet... The P5 have 2 cables, a hifi one and one specially designed for ipods (making them a potential upgrade for users of mp3 players who want better sound than the stock headphones). The MM-1 is a powered computer speaker with USB DAC and the ability to control Windows Media Player and iTunes via the supplied remote (very convenient).

    I've long felt that instead of dissing the modern generation and trying to revive Audio decades long gone, the Hi-Fi brands need to embrace modern users and create products that will spark new interest in Hi-Fi. IMO, Headphones and High Quality Active Speakers are a great way to do this.

    Yes, many high end brands have added USB inputs to their amps and DACS, created media severs and ipod docks. But few of those products were really aimed at non-audiophiles or would be converts. Seriously, who is the $1.5K Krell KID iPod Dock supposed to appeal to or the $8.3K Naim HDX Music Server??? Clearly not non-audiophiles. It's nice to add modern features to expensive kit, but there's still loads of room for more Audioengine A2 Powered Speakers ($200). So I hope B&W will be just one of many brands to start truly embracing the times.

  2. #2
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,421
    Ok, I'm betting that the speakers will be $600-$1000. I would certainly be interested in them for about $200.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  3. #3
    Ajani
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Ok, I'm betting that the speakers will be $600-$1000. I would certainly be interested in them for about $200.
    Yep, they'll probably be in that price range. You'll have to stick with Audioengine A2s at $200...

  4. #4
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Analog Synagogue
    Posts
    4,363
    As far as the P5 goes, nice looking product. It will take some pretty convincing marketing to ensure that they penetrate and don't get lost in the shuffle.

    This is the only way a non-audiophile will discover them. Unfortunately, gimmicks are what generally appeal to the audio masses. It will most realistically require someone to seek out the P5, not the other way around.

  5. #5
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Before I begin this thread, I'll add this disclaimer: This is not a response to existing threads about Vintage Gear (If you love Vintage then continue to do so).

    I saw two new products from B&W that got me excited (not because I plan to buy them, but because of the trend they represent). The P5 Headphones (the first ever headphones from B&W)

    http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=4534

    and more significantly the MM-1 Computer Speakers.

    http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=4503

    Both products are aimed at younger music lovers, who may not have started down the road to audiophilia yet... The P5 have 2 cables, a hifi one and one specially designed for ipods (making them a potential upgrade for users of mp3 players who want better sound than the stock headphones). The MM-1 is a powered computer speaker with USB DAC and the ability to control Windows Media Player and iTunes via the supplied remote (very convenient).

    I've long felt that instead of dissing the modern generation and trying to revive Audio decades long gone, the Hi-Fi brands need to embrace modern users and create products that will spark new interest in Hi-Fi. IMO, Headphones and High Quality Active Speakers are a great way to do this.

    Yes, many high end brands have added USB inputs to their amps and DACS, created media severs and ipod docks. But few of those products were really aimed at non-audiophiles or would be converts. Seriously, who is the $1.5K Krell KID iPod Dock supposed to appeal to or the $8.3K Naim HDX Music Server??? Clearly not non-audiophiles. It's nice to add modern features to expensive kit, but there's still loads of room for more Audioengine A2 Powered Speakers ($200). So I hope B&W will be just one of many brands to start truly embracing the times.
    And right after I bought a new set of sennheisers!
    Aint it the way?
    I am a long time B&W fan, no matter the cost these are on my list.
    DREAM COME TRUE for someone with neighbors.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  6. #6
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Analog Synagogue
    Posts
    4,363
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    And right after I bought a new set of sennheisers!
    Aint it the way?
    I am a long time B&W fan, no matter the cost these are on my list.
    DREAM COME TRUE for someone with neighbors.

    You mean, a dream come true FOR your neighbours! lol

  7. #7
    Ajani
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    And right after I bought a new set of sennheisers!
    Aint it the way?
    I am a long time B&W fan, no matter the cost these are on my list.
    DREAM COME TRUE for someone with neighbors.
    You should be able to afford them, they are going for 250 GBP... so they should be priced less than $500 when they reach the US...

    http://www.hifigear.co.uk/site/scrip...roduct_id=9065

    They seem set to compete with the AKG K701/ Grado RS2/ Senn HD650...

    It will be interesting to see what the headphone specialists on Head-Fi think of them...

  8. #8
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,523
    Have to say they are quite ugly...

  9. #9
    Ajani
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Have to say they are quite ugly...
    It's interesting how split everyone is on their looks... Most people either think they look really great or really nasty...

    Personally, I think they look pretty cool....

  10. #10
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,523
    I don't know why but I only like round designs, oval and rectangular I don't like. I guess I dig the DJ headphone look more than any other

  11. #11
    Sgt. At Arms Worf101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Troy, New York
    Posts
    4,288

    Hmmm...

    Interesting choice of products. Leather for the muffs? Hot and sweaty in a short time for sure if you ask me. Computer speakers? In such a crowded and overhyped field, hmmm I wonder why they'd join that cat fight. Still it's there money.

    Worf

  12. #12
    Ajani
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Interesting choice of products. Leather for the muffs? Hot and sweaty in a short time for sure if you ask me. Computer speakers? In such a crowded and overhyped field, hmmm I wonder why they'd join that cat fight. Still it's there money.

    Worf
    It's probably just a way to get into the minds of younger potential audiophiles... B&W seems to be having success with their Zeppelin iPod Dock (which is sold at the apple store)... So I assume these are going to be more Apple Store products... which is a great way to expose younger customers to the B&W brand...

    Hook 'em young...

  13. #13
    Music Lover
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I don't know why but I only like round designs, oval and rectangular I don't like. I guess I dig the DJ headphone look more than any other
    The problem with round design is that they sit on your ear creating fatigue from the pressure after just a short while. This is one reason I have not gone for the Grado cans yet.

    Great post Ajani as usual. Personally I could not care less how my gear looks, only the sound and value for the money is what's important. So if these are able to best the AKG 701s then they'll definitely cause me to sit up and listen.
    However, the fact that they advertise them as made for iPod makes me wonder if the target sound quality for these had been set below the AKG 701 and Grado 325 from the beginning. I'll be looking forward to reading the reviews on these as well.

    Rudy

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •