Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: sound pannels

Forum Regular

Question sound pannels

i have a question about sound pannels or acoustic pannels whatever there called?
    if you put them behind your speakers what do they exactly do
    do they make them sound better ? any advice would help thanx

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    That depends, what are the panels made of?

Forum Regular
    idk but im thinking of making a pair myself or buying a pair but i just want to know what they do first before doing so and i think there usually made of some kind of foam

If you're thinking of making acoustic panels the first place they should go is the first reflection points on the side walls.

What they do is damp reflections.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    so like on the wall beside the speakers
    because both of my speakers are angled in like 45 degrees maybe
    but its not much but wouldnt i put the acoustic pannels behind the speakers ?
    well i dont know much about them thats why im asking and what do they do exactly ?

If you walk around your room while clapping your hands you will hear echo's and a short reverb. Acoustic panels soak up sound and prevent those echo's when placed properly. Also, no echo means no reverb from the room.

To find the first reflection points; sit in your chair and have someone move a mirror along a side wall at at ear/eye height. When you can see the speaker closest to that wall in the mirror you have found your first reflection point. Appl the same process to both walls. To test this hang a large beach towel at speaker height at those two places. I'm sure you will hear the difference. The floor and ceiling also have first reflection points.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    ahh i kinda get it now so u can hear less sounds from the room on the outside kinda ?
    and ok i get it and if i make it myself what should i used im thinking of using some mdf for the back and get some wood like something that looks nice and make a border around it and put some foam or something in the middle something like that ?

Owens Corning fiberglass panels, cover them with grill cloth. Add wood trim if you like.

Forum Regular
    now where would i find or buy something like that ?
    and dont forget i live in canada :P

Ummmm...your speakers have a toe in of 45 degrees? I wouldn't worry about the side walls so much. Start with the wall behind the speakers and then try the side walls. Do your speakers have rear firing ports? Either way, you just have to play around with them and see what result you get.

And no, it's not for how it sound outside of the room. That would be a different bag. You are placing them for how the room you are listening in will sound, while you are in it.

You should also be aware of the two main objectives with what you are doing. Absorbtion or dispertion. Basically, depending on where and what you use, you can absorb sounds to diminish them or disperse sounds to reflect or encourage them. Depends on the room...

Forum Regular
    yeah maybe 45 i think its probably less but i was gonna try and do the wall behind the speakers first and yeah my speakers have rear ports and i was looking on this one site http://www.soundaway.com/Acoustic_Co...05_p/17805.htm and its not expensive to make your own acoustic pannels i dont need huge pannels because my speakers are bookshelf but there really big bookshelf there acoustic research ar 226 ps they are about 20 inches tall and are on 24 inch speaker stands so i would just need to have a pannel about as big as the speaker or a little bigger right ?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanianmckinnon
    yeah maybe 45 i think its probably less but i was gonna try and do the wall behind the speakers first and yeah my speakers have rear ports and i was looking on this one site http://www.soundaway.com/Acoustic_Co...05_p/17805.htm and its not expensive to make your own acoustic pannels i dont need huge pannels because my speakers are bookshelf but there really big bookshelf there acoustic research ar 226 ps they are about 20 inches tall and are on 24 inch speaker stands so i would just need to have a pannel about as big as the speaker or a little bigger right ?

I can't say for sure. What I would say is make it with more than just your current speakers in mind. If you upgrade next year, it would be a shame to have to rebuild your panels because you made them too small.

Play around with the rear position. The ports are there to help the sound, you don't want to diminish it with a poorly placed panel.

This link has more info than you could possibly want to read....
    http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Access...ment_Articles/

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Some people liked to have LEDE rooms. Live end and dead end. The speakers would be placed in the acousitcally treated end, dead end, so you hear more sound from the speakers and less reflections. You would sit in the live end and the delayed reflections is what you would hear from the speakers after the sound left the dead end.

One time I had a shelf for my speakers that was a little inset into the wall and I found a cheap idea for the early reflections. I used foam mattress pads that were convoluted. We also called them egg crate mattress pads because the hills and valleys looked like an egg carton. Easy to cut and position or cover large areas. Not pretty but they worked and when you find the areas you need them you can invest in better down the road.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    yeah thats what i was thinking of doing is just using foam mattresses and cutting them like 12 x 24 and maybe make like a pannel to glue them to like some mdf with a border around it and glue the foam in the middle to make it at least look nice and still function good until i decide to upgrade

yeah thats what i was thinking of doing is just using foam mattresses and cutting them like 12 x 24 and maybe make like a pannel to glue them to like some mdf with a border around it and glue the foam in the middle to make it at least look nice and still function good until i decide to upgrade

Here is a link to what I was thinking.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...2/product.html
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Use Black Krylon spray paint and no one will know, they may even look good.

Forum Regular
    yeah john that's pretty much excatly what i was thinking and just make a nice looking frame for it so it looks like it was bought instead of made yourself and yeah put some kind of paint on it so it looks good

yeah john that's pretty much excatly what i was thinking and just make a nice looking frame for it so it looks like it was bought instead of made yourself and yeah put some kind of paint on it so it looks good

there are acoustical paints that will not diminish their ability to absorb frequencies
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

you never said if you have a dedicated room. If so you can try adding rugs to the walls. It was a big improvement over what I had at first. Click on the pictures to get a close up.

Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    yeah i will deffinetly look for that kind of paint now and its not a seperate room actually its my bedroom which is ok in size but i wish it was bigger

Before adding any acoustic treatment, make sure you understand speaker placement See speaker manufacturers data sheet or visit one or more of the many sites that discuss this.

Example link to the Cardas Audio site (he has never done me wrong with his advice)
    http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ing=Room+Setup
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Forum Regular
    the one problem about that is that i cant find anything about my speaker Ive been to many sites but i cant seem to find anything and to my knowledge the speakers were discontinued to which doesn't help

the one problem about that is that i cant find anything about my speaker Ive been to many sites but i cant seem to find anything and to my knowledge the speakers were discontinued to which doesn't help
    Speakers are usually monopoles (sound comes out the front). There are di-poles and bi-poles requiring special treatment, but most discussions are about standard speakers and you won't go far wrong in using that advice as at least as a stating point.

Bass wavelengths are so long compared to cabinet size it doesn't matter very much if the woofers are front or side mounted.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Forum Regular
    ok thanx that helps

I'm guessing here. Are your speakers positioned in the corners? If so, be aware unless they were designed for corner placement (Klipschorns) corners are the worst place to put them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information