Forum Regular

help needed - floorstanding speaker setup with notebook

Hi,

I just made a custom notebook for myself and want to use it as a stereo sound system for quiet listening and parties as well.

I haven't installed a good sound card yet, there is one built-in, i am planning to buy a good sound card like creative nx2 usb, is it really needed, or adding a good amp would be enough?

Basically i want a stereo sound setup
    with 2 floorstanding speakers
    with a fast sub (if its needed)
    and amp(i think its needed but am not sure)
    and a good sound card (if needed, i have a pcmcia slot but its already used, so usb is only option)

I am not exactly an audiophile but i can recognize what speakers are good, or bad..

I am a student with a budget of 500-600$, in jersey city.

Room size is approx 20 X 30 ft, probably a bit bigger

Any help would be appreciated.

Sam

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Several possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by sam2005_1980
    Hi,

I just made a custom notebook for myself and want to use it as a stereo sound system for quiet listening and parties as well.

I haven't installed a good sound card yet, there is one built-in, i am planning to buy a good sound card like creative nx2 usb, is it really needed, or adding a good amp would be enough?

Basically i want a stereo sound setup
    with 2 floorstanding speakers
    with a fast sub (if its needed)
    and amp(i think its needed but am not sure)
    and a good sound card (if needed, i have a pcmcia slot but its already used, so usb is only option)

I am not exactly an audiophile but i can recognize what speakers are good, or bad..

I am a student with a budget of 500-600$, in jersey city.

Room size is approx 20 X 30 ft, probably a bit bigger

Any help would be appreciated.

Sam
    One of the easiest ways to get your computer to play music on your home system is to add a RF transmitter. It transmits a weak FM signal that your receiver can pick up.
    These go from $29 to $79 and will work with your laptop, Ipod or just about anything that has a mini-jack for headphones. Great for using your Ipod in the car too!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

It's not to hard to

buy an 1/8" phone jack to RCA L/R to hook up from your computer line-out to your recevier/amp. I must ***WARN*** you to turn down the volume controls before turning on the amp. Most soundcards put out approx. 1volt which most amps see as full power. You will be in for a rude awakening if you don't turn the computer volumes down and possibly blow the amp. You don't need an expensive sound card. The SoundBlaster Live 24 for around $25 works great and easy to use. I use it in my measurement setup to measure speakers, impedance, resistance, etc., and it works great. It has low distortion specs, etc. Enjoy, Paul.

Forum Regular
    hi guys,
    thanks for the replies but i wanted suggestion for these equipments, i don't have any speakers/sub/amp yet. i need advice for

2 floorstanding speakers
    a fast sub (if its needed)
    amp(i think its needed but am not sure)
    a good sound card (if needed, i have a pcmcia slot but its already used, so usb is only option)

i saw onkyo is also giving HT570 refurbished for 149, including shipping, what about that, is it any good.

Sam

Forum Regular
    I'd get a good set of speakers (new), a 80's amp (marantz 22xx, H/K or so) (used) and use airtunes with a wifi card. You won't be tethered to the system with a usb all the time.

Thread Information