Thread: Sound System

AR Newbie Registered Member

Sound System

I have a Onkyo TX-SR800 with 100 wattc/channel. I want to connect 13 speakers using an 8 speaker selector. 5 main + sub (zone1), (Zone2) 2 porch, 2 patio, 4 basement. Is this doable? Do I need another amplifier in the event all speaker systems were to operate at once?

dunno about that magical switch you'e got, but...

Quote Originally Posted by jcarroca
    I have a Onkyo TX-SR800 with 100 wattc/channel. I want to connect 13 speakers using an 8 speaker selector. 5 main + sub (zone1), (Zone2) 2 porch, 2 patio, 4 basement. Is this doable? Do I need another amplifier in the event all speaker systems were to operate at once?
    ..if you are considering running them all at the same time, you're looking at several additional amplifiers, not just one.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcarroca

How many can I reasonablly expect my reciever to operate. I paid a lot of money for this reciever, so I want to get full use of it... Any suggestions on a set up for me?

Generally,...

...the number of speaker outputs on hte receiver is pretty much the max they can handle, end even these have cautions stated in the owners manual.

You can always add another amp to a line level (preamp) output if you have them but when it comes to speakers it gets a little risky.

You might be able to squeeze another pair (not a 5.1 setup) of speakers with an impedance matching speaker selector but not all are.

You might want to specify how many 5.1 sets you hope to run and how many stereo pairs you might want to run.

Forum Regular
    I'm guessing the eight speaker selector you're referring to is the Monster 4 Pair selector, which does have impedance matching. You definitely would be able to have a setup such as the one you describe, based on my experience with your reciever and that selector. As to whether or not you might be getting into some negative long term effects or anything like that, you'd have to wait for responses from some of the more knowledgeable members. But it will work, in the sense that once you finish you will be able to get sound from all of those speakers at once, without any immediate issues like the reciever going into protect or something like that.

Thread Information