Getting frustrated with my sub hookup

This is crazy. I have a system with Klipsch speakers and a Klipsch powered sub. Used it for years, and when the sub's amp blew up for the second time, I put it in storage. Not gonna buy another amp, if they even make them.

I have a Sony powered sub I'd like to use, but it only has an RCA jack in the back. When I tried to cobble a Radio Shack cable together to hook it up, I got a loud buzz and my receiver flashed a warning sign.

Why was I able to use the Klipsch powered sub for all those years, but now I can't use the Sony just because it has RCA jacks?

For the record, the Klipsch sub had terminals for speaker wire, no RCA.

Lol, just like RR, lots of views, no replies.

Suspended
    What connection are you using from the receiver? The RCA input on your sub is a low level input and would have to be connected to a RCA sub out. Speaker terminal hook up is too hot for RCA input.

A speaker level input and signal are very different from an RCA (line) level input and signal. They are not interchangeable. You're lucky the only thing your receiver did was go into protect mode.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Thread Information