Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

For the fun of it...

...there's another thread (in another forum) re: RFI in the form of unwanted program material...but alienating rhetoric precludes my further participation in it...However, I did see some statements that lead me to believe there are some misconceptions on the subject.

In my nearly forty years of telecom experience, radio reception on low powered or even unpowered systems isn't all that uncommon...ask anyone even slightly familiar with a crystal radio; same basic concept. It uses a minimum of components including the "cat's whisker" (which actually works due to it's imperfect contact junction*>see below<) and zero power source to snatch the all-pervasive AM signals out of thin air...

AM transmitters are the usual suspect...without gettin' all techie about it, trust me, it's a fact...

At this point I'll interject with some salient quotes from the FCC:

Common Causes

Before you can resolve an interference problem you must isolate the actual interference source. Interference originates from many sources - the equipment itself, your residence, or the neighborhood.

The two most common causes of interference are transmitters and electrical equipment. Communication systems that transmit signals (transmitters) are capable of generating interference. These systems include amateur radios, CBs, and radio and television stations. Electrical interference may be caused by power lines or electrical equipment in your home.

And this is probably the best part, particularly for those hi-end folks who subscribe to the minimalist mythology:

Transmitter Interference

Transmitter interference is normally caused by the actual design of the (interfered-with) equipment itself. Many manufacturers do not protect internal wiring with adequate shielding or sufficient filtering, so the interfered-with equipment is susceptible to receiving unwanted signals - interference.

*The source may be as simple as a frayed wire that connects your speakers to an amplifier. A faulty wire can act as an antenna that will carry interfering signals. Check the incoming wire from your outside antenna for any damage or corrosion. Replace any twin-lead cable with a coaxial cable - which offers the best protection from all types of outside interference.

To determine whether the interference is coming from the interfered-with equipment itself, unplug one component at a time on the interfered-with equipment or on other equipment to see if you can isolate the source. Also, disconnect other electrical equipment (answering machines, telephones, fax machines, etc.) one by one. If the problem goes away when the device is disconnected, you have found the source - the device itself.

Check to be certain everything that needs to be grounded is, including AC outlets...Ex Post Facto: And when I say grounded, I mean the ground leg of the buildings electrical system must be tied to a cold water pipe, a ground stake or the commercial AC ground...If one disconnects a ground in order to eliminate some interference to me it's an indication that the "true" ground has been interupted somewhere along the line and that the bulk of the grounding effect is actually an atmospheric ground which will have a difference in potential to an earth ground as measured with a VOM...it's also a dangerous situation.

Many times it's simply wire or device orientation that acts as an antenna...try moving the interconnects...which BTW should be as short and shielded as possible...Even devices connected via the mains and on the same circuit can be part of the problem...it can be a cumulative effect that actually "fine tunes" your unwanted "receiver"...Perhaps unplugging the whatever-it-is in the next room may have an effect, particluarly in older apartments having the bare minimum of circuit separation...Even the proximity of your body or that of your significant other or pet can play a part...

Coiling wires can further exacerbate the problem...

Low pass filters with rejection characteristics of frequencies above 600khz can be purchased/modified/DIYd...

jimHJJ(...FWIW...)
    Last edited by Resident Loser; 02-06-2007 at 09:27 AM.
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    What the....HEY!!! Who let you out of the Audio Lab...get back in your hole!!!

Huh? What'd he say?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    What the....HEY!!! Who let you out of the Audio Lab...get back in your hole!!!
    ...I slipped the keeper a six-pack of Colt tall-boys and he's noddin'...

I was wunnerin' where else to post but I figured judging by the never-ending crush of traffic, the "LAB" should be the last place for it...

jimHJJ(...I'll go quietly now...)

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

Because he doesn't like C&W you can't help? That's really kind of small!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Best part is...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Because he doesn't like C&W you can't help? That's really kind of small!
    ...and this is where the fun comes in, ever since that achey-breakey, mullet-headed moron ruined C&W music, I can't stand the current crop of it either...however, my opinion is that it's ill-advised to ask for help and in the same breath alienate a segment of the population that may very well have either a definitive answer or a plan of action to cope with it...and while I may be mistaken, IMHO there's a better chance of getting such an answer from folks used to gettin' down'n'dirty it their blue-collar workday (or on their truck) who'd rather listen to Patsy Cline than Ho' Dawg or some such (c)rap/indie/techno-twaddle...

It's the priciple of the thing...

jimHJJ(...but then again, that's just me...)

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    However, I did see some statements that lead me to believe there are some misconceptions on the subject.
    Indeed. Some guys don't "believe" in the audible affects of RFI.

Woodman on PCs

rw

Well...aaa...err...

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Indeed. Some guys don't "believe" in the audible affects of RFI.

Woodman on PCs

rw
    ...I really don't knowhow to respond without sounding like a snotty b@stard (like that's ever stopped me before) but there's a big diif in the empirical reality of hearing Kelly Pickler through your rig as a result of a fairly common happenstance, which BTW everyone can hear, and a smudging of the "inner details" as a result of picking the wrong power cord...Anecdotal at best, requiring 24karat pinnae...

jimHJJ(...I'm eatin' the grapefruit...would you like an apple or an orange?...)
    Last edited by Resident Loser; 02-06-2007 at 10:22 AM.

but there's a big diif in the empirical reality of hearing Kelly Pickler through your rig as a result of a fairly common happenstance, which BTW everyone can hear, and a smudging of the "inner details" as a result of picking the wrong power cord.
    Who is Kelly Pickler? Is she another non-experiential theorist on this topic?

rw

Perhaps...

Who is Kelly Pickler? Is she another non-experiential theorist on this topic?

rw
    ...I should have said The Dixie Chicks or Keith Urban or another of that ilk...

jimHJJ(...thought an American Idol wannabe was the obvious choice, sorry...)

...I should have said The Dixie Chicks or Keith Urban or another of that ilk...

jimHJJ(...thought an American Idol wannabe was the obvious choice, sorry...)
    Ah, American Idol and C&W stars. Sorry - not really familiar with either. Who's the guy who really nails some of the AI folks? Simon something? Those would be good questions for my mother-in-law.

rw

And not...

Ah, American Idol and C&W stars. Sorry - not really familiar with either. Who's the guy who really nails some of the AI folks? Simon something? Those would be good questions for my mother-in-law.

rw
    ...familiar with the thread that spawned this one I'd expect...a link if you're at all interested in the applicable crtieria:

http://forums.audioreview.com/amps-preamps/i-really-dont-like-country-music-phono-pre-q-21556.html#post178589

In fact you don't seem to be even reasonably conversant with this very one...but be that as it may...

Yes, Simon is very entertaining...I enjoy seeing the talentless hopefuls go down in flames, the only real reason to watch it IMO...

Ahh, but could she drive a 6ft. ground rod with an eight-pound sledge?

I'll let you go now...I know how difficult it can be to choose from the dozen or so absolutely pristine discs that lets your PC-centric system really shine...

jimHJJ(...oooh, there's a good one, Dave Grusin's Discovered Again!...)

In fact you don't seem to be even reasonably conversant with this very one...but be that as it may...
    I was not. I find that I cannot keep my cell phone even remotely close to the Bellari phono pre in my vintage system for the same reason. Goes bonkers. Most RFI pollution in my experience is not that overt. Just audible.

Yes, Simon is very entertaining...I enjoy seeing the talentless hopefuls go down in flames, the only real reason to watch it IMO...
    I've only seen short clips of his, um criticism.

I'll let you go now...I know how difficult it can be to choose from the dozen or so absolutely pristine discs that lets your PC-centric system really shine...
    Originally, I ripped all my CDs to 320k MP3. Now, I've gone back and started ripping them to WAV. Decided difference at the top on my PC system with a range of music. May eventually bother to convert them to a lossless format.

rw

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    So what you're saying is, this could be fixed by putting your unit in a big microwave?

Uh...that sounded bad...
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Microwave?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    So what you're saying is, this could be fixed by putting your unit in a big microwave?

Uh...that sounded bad...
    ...no, perhaps a well-grounded convection oven...

jimHJJ(...and I have no idea what that means...)

...and this is where the fun comes in, ever since that achey-breakey, mullet-headed moron ruined C&W music, I can't stand the current crop of it either...however, my opinion is that it's ill-advised to ask for help and in the same breath alienate a segment of the population that may very well have either a definitive answer or a plan of action to cope with it...and while I may be mistaken, IMHO there's a better chance of getting such an answer from folks used to gettin' down'n'dirty it their blue-collar workday (or on their truck) who'd rather listen to Patsy Cline than Ho' Dawg or some such (c)rap/indie/techno-twaddle...

It's the priciple of the thing...

jimHJJ(...but then again, that's just me...)
    What's a Ho' Dawg?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Given the fact...

What's a Ho' Dawg?
    ...that I avoid all of what passes these days for contemporary "popular" music, my familiarity with actual names of the perpetrators is sorely lacking...hence my fictitious appellation...

jimHJJ(...while it wish it could have been funnier, simply consider it artistic license...)

Gee.

What's a Ho' Dawg?
    I wuz thinkin' Courtney Love.

So, this is how Alice felt in Wonderland.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Yeah but...

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    So, this is how Alice felt in Wonderland.
    ...one pill made her bigger and one pill made her small...but the ones that doctor gives me, does not one effin' thing at all...

jimHJJ(...at least nothing to feed my head...)

Go ask Alice

...one pill made her bigger and one pill made her small...but the ones that doctor gives me, does not one effin' thing at all...

jimHJJ(...at least nothing to feed my head...)
    ...when she's 10 feet tall?

Well...

...when she's 10 feet tall?

...After Bathing At Baxter's, why not lay your weary head on a Surrealistic Pillow...

jimHJJ(...gee, this is fun...but then I'm easily amused...)

Holy Carp! I think I just had a flashback...the screen turned all blue with teal print, IN A DIFFERENT FONT, but now it's back...nevermind...
    Last edited by Resident Loser; 02-07-2007 at 12:34 PM.

...After Bathing At Baxter's, why not lay your weary head on a Surrealistic Pillow...

jimHJJ(...gee, this is fun...but then I'm easily amused...)

Holy Carp! I think I just had a flashback...the screen turned all blue with teal print, IN A DIFFERENT FONT, but now it's back...nevermind...
    Are you anywhere near a computer right now?

Uhhh...

Are you anywhere near a computer right now?
    jimHJJ(...no!...)

jimHJJ(...no!...)
    OK, let me know when you get back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information