First DVD-A...

Printable View

• 04-14-2007, 12:51 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    You can't rent DVD audios can ya?

Yes, I made sure the unit would play DVD movies, concert videos and CD's just to be certain the player wasn't broke. The only settings that are different from the long list I posted earlier were the two bitstream to PCM changes. Why am I not seeing the DVD -Audio/video choice selection in the "Others" menu?

Rich, I still have my suspicions about the actualy disc. Especially if it's still not working with all the proper connections AND if it's acting funny. I would see if you can find a DVD-A title at a place like BB or CC to try out, just to see if it plays another disc fine. While you can't rent it, you certainly can return it if it's faulty. If you can play another disc just fine, then you'll know that the one you currently have is faulty. If another one plays funny and or doesn't play than we know it's most likely the player, in which case the player could be problematic.

Sorry to hear about all the mess with this. This is a prime reason why some people just don't have the patience at times with this hobby and the various formats. SACD is much easier to use. Anyway, hang in there and keep us updated.
  • 04-14-2007, 01:00 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Thanks PS. I just "re-initialized the changer. If we get nowhere with this today, I'm going to do like you said and stop at Best Buy and pick up another title.

Meanwhile, I'm going to start the setup again.

Ran Quick setup for the basic settings, and now I'm watching Batman begins. I've got 5.1 into the receiver, and DD Surround Enhanced out to the speakers.

Switched to Multi Ch Input at the receiver and have sound at the left, center and right speakers. Check that, I've got audio at all speakers.

Plugged the DVD-A disk back in, same problem. The machine right now is locked up.

Now playing my homemade Pink Floyd CD through the Multi-channel in, no problems.
  • 04-14-2007, 01:09 PM
    markw
    How long have you had the PAnny?
    As long as youi're going th the store, you might want to consider returning it, if for no other reason than serious human interface problems.

Searching out one of these might make your life a bit easier. It's the "new guy" on the block and so far has garnered many good reviews. Were I in the market now, this would be my choice.

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd.html
  • 04-14-2007, 01:27 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    3 years-old
    For now I still want the abillity to have one universal player for DVD's and CD's, but if enhanced audio is beyond reach for me, so be it. I'm still going to try another DVD audio before I give up though.
  • 04-14-2007, 01:31 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

For now I still want the abillity to have one universal player for DVD's and CD's, but if enhanced audio is beyond reach for me, so be it. I'm still going to try another DVD audio before I give up though.

It's a shame that player doesn't handle SACD. This only leads me to believe (since it has those 5.1 outputs) that this machine certainly should do DVD-A (MLP 5.1). The fact that this one disc is not working, yet everything else you play works fine, makes me really question the actual disc.

Let us know if you get a chance to try another one.
  • 04-14-2007, 01:35 PM
    markw
    Three years old you say? That's prehistoric in this field.
    Quote:

That Oppo is $150 + shipping and does SACD, DVD-Audio, and upconversion to 720i/1080i (via HDMI) as well.

...might be time for a change, no?
  • 04-14-2007, 01:59 PM
    kexodusc
    Is there a firmware upgrade for your DVD player?
    Could this be a region issue on the DVD? Ie, Pal NTSC, etc? That GRP1 error thing is weird.

How about trying to re-initialize the player? My Toshiba loses it's ability to read DVD-A now and then. I have to hold a few buttons to rest the thing, then it works.

Definitely try another DVD-A though, it it's a region or faulty disc issue, another disc should might play. Otherwise we're going to fight with this DVD player.
  • 04-14-2007, 05:02 PM
    kelsci
    Rich; the good thing is your getting warmer. You know know that your 5.1 channel audio output connections on the player are working.

Did you just recently buy this DVD-A disc. Perhaps you can return it for an exchange.

If you cannot return it for an exchange, try cleaning the disc. Perhaps some kind of smudge mark is preventing it from working in the player.

One forum member suggested to reintialize. I looked at the manual to see what method they might suggest along these avenues. I did not see anything. In the past at least with receivers, it is suggested to pull out the plug from the wall socket and wait some minutes before plugging back the unit into the wall. I might try this. It is possible you may have to reset your settings since they might not hold in memory.

Of course you can buy a different DVD-A disc to try as even you are suggesting. Make sure it has a dvd-a 5.1 channel track.
  • 04-14-2007, 05:48 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    kelsci, I agree. Plus I've now got those connections made. Redundancy is a good thing, and yes, brand new DVD, first DVD audio this changer has seen. I purcahsed this one at CD Universe so I'll see what their refund/exchange policy is.

kex, I don't know, but when I was at Panasonic's website there was a link for software upgrades, but whether or not that applied to my model, I don't know. I didn't hang around to explore it further. It would probably cost a service charge to get it upgraded anyway. If the manual says there's an option under "Other" to set DVD A or V, and I can't see it on my player, that makes me suspicious. But under that same menu there is an option to re-initialize, and I know it did re-init because indicators flashed on the display and the message box on the TV said initialize complete, or something like that. There's nothing on the DVD case that tells me what region encoding it's got but I'm sure I checked to make sure it was Region 0 or 1. Something else I'll talk to CD Universe CS about.

I was surprised to see how inexpensive the Oppo was; it matches up well with my TV so I'll keep that option on the table. I wonder if it comes in black. ;)

I just got The Who's The Kids Are Alright in the mail today, so i'm enjoying some great Who music & video in glorious 5.1 surround sound, so I'll TTYL. :thumbsup:
  • 04-15-2007, 12:55 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Gentlemen, We Have Heaven
    I took the Queensryche DVD with me to Best Buy to see if I could get someone in their AV dept. to plug it into one of their players just to see if it would produce any sound whatsoever. It took some explaining to the distiguished looking youngster in the manager? type shirt that I just wanted to play it on any DVD compatible system, but I was finally able to get him to plug it into one of their Denon's in the Magnolia Home Theater (yawn) auditioning room. Well, when he closed the door, the DVD started playing. I heard music out of a couple of speakers (don't know if it was outputing in 5.1 format, but at that point it didn't matter), so that disappointed me. I kindly thanked the young man, walked over to the music section and decided to buy a different title just because I at this point wanted to spend some money. :biggrin5: I picked up Yellow Brick Road and looked at the content chart on the back cover. Listed formats are:
    Advanced Resolution Surround Sound (96KHz/24-bit)
    Advanced Resolution Stereo (96KHz/24-bit)
    DD Surround Sound
    Included logos: DVD-Audio, Dolby Digital, MLP Lossless

With great anticipation for a positive outcome, I loaded both DVD's, closed the door and low and behold, I had music! I saw a messgae scroll across the changer's display saying... NO DOWNMIX... but everything seemed good. While I was listening to it at the coax output, it seemed like some of the instruments on the song Funeral for a Friend were missing, but then I switched the receiver to Multi Ch Input and all six puppies started singing. I cranked up the volume, stood in the center of the room and had an orgasm!!! :yikes:

I'm a happy boy.

The only decision I have to make now is do I want to take the chance of exchanging the Empire DVD with another one of the same title from CD Universe, or pick a different title. I'll see what my options are there.

I guess this turns out to be a compatibility problem, so that doesn't give me a lot of confidence with future DVD-A purchases. Best to buy from local retailers for the time being I guess...

Lessons learned: Audioreview Discussion forum is a very helpful and supportive community. :thumbsup:
    I know more about 21st century audio than the *kid* at Best Buy, which is scary at best! :eek6:
  • 04-15-2007, 01:55 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    great news..
    Quote:

I took the Queensryche DVD with me to Best Buy to see if I could get someone in their AV dept. to plug it into one of their players just to see if it would produce any sound whatsoever. It took some explaining to the distiguished looking youngster in the manager? type shirt that I just wanted to play it on any DVD compatible system, but I was finally able to get him to plug it into one of their Denon's in the Magnolia Home Theater (yawn) auditioning room. Well, when he closed the door, the DVD started playing. I heard music out of a couple of speakers (don't know if it was outputing in 5.1 format, but at that point it didn't matter), so that disappointed me. I kindly thanked the young man, walked over to the music section and decided to buy a different title just because I at this point wanted to spend some money. :biggrin5: I picked up Yellow Brick Road and looked at the content chart on the back cover. Listed formats are:
    Advanced Resolution Surround Sound (96KHz/24-bit)
    Advanced Resolution Stereo (96KHz/24-bit)
    DD Surround Sound
    Included logos: DVD-Audio, Dolby Digital, MLP Lossless

With great anticipation for a positive outcome, I loaded both DVD's, closed the door and low and behold, I had music! I saw a messgae scroll across the changer's display saying... NO DOWNMIX... but everything seemed good. While I was listening to it at the coax output, it seemed like some of the instruments on the song Funeral for a Friend were missing, but then I switched the receiver to Multi Ch Input and all six puppies started singing. I cranked up the volume, stood in the center of the room and had an orgasm!!! :yikes:

I'm a happy boy.

The only decision I have to make now is do I want to take the chance of exchanging the Empire DVD with another one of the same title from CD Universe, or pick a different title. I'll see what my options are there.

I guess this turns out to be a compatibility problem, so that doesn't give me a lot of confidence with future DVD-A purchases. Best to buy from local retailers for the time being I guess...

Lessons learned: Audioreview Discussion forum is a very helpful and supportive community. :thumbsup:
    I know more about 21st century audio than the *kid* at Best Buy, which is scary at best! :eek6:

and by the way the SACD of GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD is far superior to the DVD-A, just in case you wondered and maybe your next player will be SACD compatable.
  • 04-15-2007, 10:14 PM
    kelsci
    Rich; nothing like chalking up an experience one has with home entertainment electronics.
    Thanks for the nice comment about the members who tried to help you out on your problem. Can you imagine the high defintion bubbamintzer going on with televisions, receivers, scaling and the like on a VIDEO side of a problem?
  • 04-16-2007, 05:03 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Too many choices!!!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kelsci
    Rich; nothing like chalking up an experience one has with home entertainment electronics.
    Thanks for the nice comment about the members who tried to help you out on your problem. Can you imagine the high defintion bubbamintzer going on with televisions, receivers, scaling and the like on a VIDEO side of a problem?

That's my problem. Too many menus, sub-menus, settings...etc. Choices on the DVD, choices on the DVD changer, choices at the receiver, it's just so confusing. But yeah, the good thing is I can now set up the DVD player forwards, backwards and with my eyes closed. :cornut: I also figured out what that GRP indicator is all about. With this DVD-A, there are six "Groups", and on the remote is a Group button. I can explain in more detail when I'm in front of my system after work, but in a nutshell, one group will execute the playlist in stereo mode, one group will execute in Digital Surround, one group will play the "extras" and so on. Again, more choices than I can wrap my brain around in one sitting. :confused5:

This is exactly the same problem as with my computer. iTunes software has an equalizer with gain control, my sound card has a DSP, and all that goes with it, and my speakers also have a DSP. I have NO idea which one I'm supposed to use for what.:incazzato: