First DVD-A...

Printable View

• 04-13-2007, 01:31 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markw
    Yeah, the only way to getDVD-Audio is vis those analog jacks.

YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOO WRONG ON SOOOOOOOO MANY LEVELS.

You say that you can ONLY get DVD-A to play with analog, which is obviously wrong as you can play DVD-A's with a digital connection as you are now aware of and perhaps you already knew, but didn't come across very well. The original poster RICH-N-TEXAS never mentions anything about specifically playing MLP or analog in his initial post, he simply has a problem playing his first DVD-Audio title that he purchased and wants to know what it won't play. Therefore, my responses have been clarifying the matters and explaining to him what MLP is. He was unaware of the differences between having the player set for analog or digital.

YOU ARE THE ONE who is making this issue muddy by telling him that he MUST have analog connections to play the darn thing. Get your facts straight and then provide them accurately. Don't attack me for your wrong information. Is 1949 the year that mothers dropped kids on their heads or something?

Rich.....

If you need help with this just ask me or PM me...I actually know what I am talking about unlike certain OTHER people around here.
  • 04-13-2007, 01:38 PM
    markw
    Now you're just blowing smoke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOO WRONG ON SOOOOOOOO MANY LEVELS.

You say that you can ONLY get DVD-A to play with analog, which is obviously wrong as you can play DVD-A's with a digital connection as you are now aware of and perhaps you already knew, but didn't come across very well. The original poster RICH-N-TEXAS never mentions anything about specifically playing MLP or analog in his initial post, he simply has a problem playing his first DVD-Audio title that he purchased and wants to know what it won't play. Therefore, my responses have been clarifying the matters and explaining to him what MLP is. He was unaware of the differences between having the player set for analog or digital.

YOU ARE THE ONE who is making this issue muddy by telling him that he MUST have analog connections to play the darn thing. Get your facts straight and then provide them accurately. Don't attack me for your wrong information. Is 1949 the year that mothers dropped kids on their heads or something?

Rich.....

If you need help with this just ask me or PM me...I actually know what I am talking about unlike certain OTHER people around here.

.. out of your arse again.

You obviously didn't even read or at least comprehend my posts. Please note that in every post I made, I referenced "DVD-Audio".

to wit: (or twit, whichever)
    Quote:

he simply has a problem playing his first DVD-Audio title

DVD-Audio? Funny, according to you that's not the same as "DVD-A, is it? Then why bring it up here? Why not just refer to it as a "DVD-A" disc like you do everywhere else?

Now, here you go using it. I guess that proves my point that you knew he was asking about "DVD-AUDIO", Not just any old format on a that disc, but just wanted to get your moneys worth out of that verbal exlax you took. I'd say you did well

Can you say "burn-out", kiddies?

But, I hear drug use cause a lot of birth defects in children born between 1979 and 1981. Must be tied into sitting too close to laserdiscs.
  • 04-13-2007, 02:30 PM
    Dusty Chalk
  • 04-13-2007, 03:25 PM
    N. Abstentia
    I also said it.

You can't get DVD-Audio unless you use the analog multi channel outputs..and I stand by that.

You can listen to the crippled DD5.1 tracks ON a DVD-A disc with an optical cable, but you can't listen to the DVD-Audio tracks with an optical cable.
  • 04-13-2007, 03:29 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    exactly...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    I also said it.

You can't get DVD-Audio unless you use the analog multi channel outputs..and I stand by that.

You can listen to the crippled DD5.1 tracks ON a DVD-A disc with an optical cable, but you can't listen to the DVD-Audio tracks with an optical cable.

You are 100% correct, but making the statement that you can't use DVD-A discs unless you have analog connections is false.

markw's trying to make the point that DVD-A is useless without analog connections and that most people buy DVD-A for the MLP, which is ludicrous. I hardly EVER listen to the MLP as I prefer the DTS.
  • 04-13-2007, 03:30 PM
    GMichael
    Quote:
    If I insult you, can I be in your signature also?:ciappa:
  • 04-13-2007, 03:36 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    If I insult you, can I be in your signature also?:ciappa:

Am I going crazy here or what???
  • 04-13-2007, 03:38 PM
    markw
    Now you stoop to lying?
    Quote:

markw's trying to make the point that DVD-A is useless without analog connections

I don't recall ever saying that.

It's one thing to be an anal, pedantic, neurotic mass of explosed nerves, but at least stick to the facts. Don't lie.

Now, be a man for a change, stop whining, and show me, and all of us for that matter, where I ever said that.

You're crying like a baby now.
  • 04-13-2007, 03:43 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

Why in pulperfect he!! would anyone want to bother buying a DVD-Audio player and a DVD-Audio disc unless they wanted to lsten to what you are so fond of referring to "the Advanced Resolution/MLP audio portions", or what normal people simply call "DVD-Audio"?

Do you even bother to think about what you're saying. or are you operating on autopilot?

Hey markw...answer me this since you know so much....

What is DTS Entertainment known for? Oh wait...releasing DVD-Audio's and holding the largest part of the DVD-A market. Hmmmm. Interesting since you claim that people are buying DVD-A for MLP and that's the only reason they are bothering with the format.
  • 04-13-2007, 03:45 PM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Am I going crazy here or what???

That was for Dusty. He's been having fun with his sig lately. I was feeling left out.
  • 04-13-2007, 03:47 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    That was for Dusty. He's been having fun with his sig lately. I was feeling left out.

no need to feel left out...you can join in this fight. or you can get a front row seat while I put a know-it-all in his place.
  • 04-13-2007, 03:52 PM
    markw
    Can't point to where I said that, can you?
    Quote:

Hey markw...answer me this since you know so much....

What is DTS Entertainment known for? Oh wait...releasing DVD-Audio's and holding the largest part of the DVD-A market. Hmmmm. Interesting since you claim that people are buying DVD-A for MLP and that's the only reason they are bothering with the format.

Geez, man. Were's your self pride?

You've just been proven to be a liar in front of everyone here.

That doesn't bother you at all, does it?

Thanks for playing. You're the weakest link.
  • 04-13-2007, 03:57 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

Thanks for playing. You're the weakest link.

In essence that is exactly what you are saying the quote that I provided below. Now you answer my question about DTS Entertainment....? You simply can't handle the fact that I know more than you on this topic and have pointed out your mistakes. You act like DVD-A is for MLP only and that's what your comment here implies...

Quote:

Why in pulperfect he!! would anyone want to bother buying a DVD-Audio player and a DVD-Audio disc unless they wanted to lsten to what you are so fond of referring to "the Advanced Resolution/MLP audio portions", or what normal people simply call "DVD-Audio"?
    If you knew a thing or two about the format you would know different and realize that DTS Entertainment is primarily responsible for the DTS-CD's that were released like Sheryl Crow, Moody Blues, and a few others, which then became the DVD-Audio format and their label "DTS Entertainment" is on the majority of DVD-A titles. Yes, there is MLP on the discs, but that is clearly not why people ONLY buy them. You've lost the battle, you've lost the war. Now go home.
  • 04-13-2007, 04:01 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

In essence that is exactly what you are saying the quote that I provided below. Now you answer my question about DTS Entertainment....? You simply can't handle the fact that I know more than you on this topic and have pointed out your mistakes. You act like DVD-A is for MLP only and that's what your comment here implies...

If you knew a thing or two about the format you would know different and realize that DTS Entertainment is primarily responsible for the DTS-CD's that were released like Sheryl Crow, Moody Blues, and a few others, which then became the DVD-Audio format and their label "DTS Entertainment" is on the majority of DVD-A titles. Yes, there is MLP on the discs, but that is clearly not why people ONLY buy them. You've lost the battle, you've lost the war. Now go home.

Here's a picture to demonstrate what is obviously difficult for you to comprehend in words...
    http://www.amateurhometheater.com/El...ra%20cover.jpg
  • 04-13-2007, 04:06 PM
    markw
    Correction
    Only cellar dwelling geeks who swear that laserdiscs werethe ultimate in video technology would buy DVD-Audio players only for the DTS.
  • 04-13-2007, 04:09 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

Only cellar dwelling geeks who swear that laserdiscs werethe ultimate in video technology would buy DVD-Audio players only for the DTS.

Is that your comeback? That's pretty lame, considering you can't answer my question. The reason you can't is because it will prove you wrong, so you'd rather ignore the issue and try to insult me about another discussion that we had. Laserdisc at one time was the ultimate for Home Video and there are still cases where the 12" Laserdisc beats it's DVD counterpart. I can ramble the titles off again, but I think you can read the other thread if you wish.

And to set the record straight I live in a 1400sq ft. townhouse with my wife and the only reason you think i'm a geek is because I know more than you do, even though i'm less than half your age. Just deal with it....
  • 04-13-2007, 04:18 PM
    markw
    I'll stand by that statement
    "In the DVD-Video portion on DVD-Audio/Video discs is a multi-channel soundtrack using Dolby Digital and/or optionally DTS surround sound which can be played back by existing DVD-Video players. "

]url]http://www.timefordvd.com/tutorial/DVD-AudioTutorial.shtml[/url]

IOW,you don't need a DVD-Audio player to acces the DD/DTS soundtracks on a DVD-A (your term, not mine) disc. You can do it with a standard DVD player.

So, again, please tell me why would one need to buy a DVD-Audio player unless one wished to avail themselves of DVD-Audio?

Keep on showing us how much you know.

And, I'm still waiting for those examples where I said what you're TRYING to say I said.

You keep trying to change the subject, but you're still rolling craps.
  • 04-13-2007, 04:24 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

"In the DVD-Video portion on DVD-Audio/Video discs is a multi-channel soundtrack using Dolby Digital and/or optionally DTS surround sound which can be played back by existing DVD-Video players. "

]url]http://www.timefordvd.com/tutorial/DVD-AudioTutorial.shtml[/url]

IOW,you don't need a DVD-Audio player to acces the DD/DTS soundtracks on a DVD-A (your term, not mine) disc. You can do it with a standard DVD player.

So, again, please tell me why would one need to buy a DVD-Audio player unless one wished to avail themselves of DVD-Audio?

Keep on showing us how much you know.

And, I'm still waiting for those examples where I said what you're TRYING to say I said.

You keep trying to change the subject, but you're still rolling craps.

I'm glad you had to look that up since you obviously don't know this stuff yourself. Congrats on finding that, but are you really that desparate to try and prove me wrong? I mean, why can't you just admit that your statement was wrong in the first place. It wasn't 100% wrong, only partially wrong. The point is this...

You don't tell someone who is first hooking up a DVD-Audio player (who didn't even have the analog connections connected) that he HAS to have them in order for the DVD-A to be of use. Rich could have just as easily benefitted from the digital parts of the DVD-Audio, but YES he does need the analog connections to take full use of it.
  • 04-13-2007, 04:27 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    are you serious???
    I showed you the quote, but then again you don't read too well, so maybe that is your problem. I am still waiting for you to tell me all about DTS Entertainment or maybe you are still Googling it so you can find out and then try and show me how much you know.
  • 04-13-2007, 04:33 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Holy Crap!!!
    :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

I'm just now jumping in at the end of this thread...

Gosh, three pages, I feel so popular!

I luv yous guys. :smilewinkgrin: :o

We're in the middle of some pretty severe thunderstorms right now here in Wylie so I've shut everthing off. I've got alot of reading to do, but I'm sure that together, we can all get through this. :biggrin5: :hand: :cornut:

Peace out...
  • 04-13-2007, 04:37 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    sorry Rich
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

I'm just now jumping in at the end of this thread...

Gosh, three pages, I feel so popular!

I luv yous guys. :smilewinkgrin: :o

We're in the middle of some pretty severe thunderstorms right now here in Wylie so I've shut everthing off. I've got alot of reading to do, but I'm sure that together, we can all get through this. :biggrin5: :hand: :cornut:

Peace out...

I was trying to be helpful as possible and giving you as much information as I could without being too confusing. Others have clouded the issue. My recommendation to you is to connect your player with both analog and digital connections to your receiver at this point. Then check under your setup on the player to see if you can switch the players mode from DVD-Video to DVD-Audio. If you can, try DVD-Audio once you have your 5.1 analog connections made to your receiver. Also, make sure that your receiver is either set to analog inputs or (like mine says) Multi-Channel Input. Once you have done that, check for sound. Which DVD-A disc did you buy anyway???
  • 04-13-2007, 04:56 PM
    markw
    No, you didn't and yes, I'm dead serious. Show us the quote
    Quote:

I showed you the quote, but then again you don't read too well, so maybe that is your problem.

I read quite well, and I write well also. That's why I'm so sure that you're lying through your teeth.

Know what? Everyone else sees it, too. We're having a good laugh about you here.

Now, if you're referring to the one quote of mine you used already, perhaps you should re-read it in the context of this discussion, keeping in mind the accepted meaning of "DVD-Audio", and then get back to us.

We notice you try to shift to word games when you lose on context, and I ain't lettin' you off that easy now that you've stooped to bald-faced lies.

And, sorry for the quote and link, but there's no shutting you up unless it's right there in black and white (figuratively speaking). Don't I even get a thank you for teaching you this? I'm hurt (sniff sniff)

And remember, this isn't a quiz of my knowledge. Everything I said was factual and true.

You lied and put words in my mouth and I called you on it.

Until you resolve this, your stock is sinking.

Go ahead. Be a man. Quit trying to change the subject and back up your words.
  • 04-13-2007, 05:00 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

Yeah, the only way to getDVD-Audio is vis those analog jacks. IT sounds like your manual was written as a well as my Denon 2802 manual.

SJ? Wazzat? South Jersey? I thought you were from Texas?

If you write so well than please tell me what a VIS is?

I don't need to back up my words...I have not said anything on here that you can prove is wrong. Show me one thing on here that I said as advice to Rich that is incorrect? Please enlighten me....

Once again you are just bitter because you are being schooled by someone younger than yourself. Just face that fact that you were not giving all the correct information.
  • 04-13-2007, 05:05 PM
    L.J.
    Quote:
    Hey Dusty, wanna pass somma that. Thanx
  • 04-13-2007, 05:15 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by L.J.
    Hey Dusty, wanna pass somma that. Thanx

I'll take some too as I am getting tired of arguing over something so rediculous.

On a positive note though...I have a picture that says it all...