Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ears, audio and allergies

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    So sad as I like all those vegetables. Nothing better than asparagus fresh from the garden. Makes my tastebuds dance.
    We have Asparagus at least once a week and broccoli and green beans also. Our favorite produce stand opens this weekend for the season. They usually have fresh shelled peas also.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I would get yourself a set of nose plugs Joe. All those vegetables are very good for you. Very high in antioxidents.
    Holding my nose doesn't help. Those particular vegetables simply do not smell or taste like food to me. It turns out there is a specific chemical in those vegetables that some people (me for one) are particularly sensitive to.

Unlike those children who grow out of not liking certain foods I never did. In addition to not liking those specific vegetables most artificial flavors don't taste right to me either.

At one time I was the IT person for a company that specializes in food flavorings, especially Vanilla. They created and mixed most of the Snapple flavors and other things like Oreo O's cereal. Their specialty was Vanilla. Bryers Ice Cream used to buy all their Vanilla from them.(before being sold and moving away). They would randomly select employees to taste test the labs latest creations. They found I was consistently able to detect any artificial flavoring that was added to otherwise identical samples. Their head food chemist was the one that explained "Supertaster" to me. A couple of years ago there was a special on PBS about food and taste. The narrater host mentioned "Supertasters". See the link below for the Wikipedia entry.

Supertaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't feel like I'm missing anything. How can I miss eating what doesn't smell edible to me.

BTW: Peas, Carrots, Beans, Greens and many other vegetables do not smell bad to me. Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Spinach and especially Asparagus do. I'm not terribly fond of Cabbage either. However, that's because it gives me indigestion.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    Holding my nose doesn't help. Those particular vegetables simply do not smell or taste like food to me. It turns out there is a specific chemical in those vegetables that some people (me for one) are particularly sensitive to.

Unlike those children who grow out of not liking certain foods I never did. In addition to not liking those specific vegetables most artificial flavors don't taste right to me either.

At one time I was the IT person for a company that specializes in food flavorings, especially Vanilla. They created and mixed most of the Snapple flavors and other things like Oreo O's cereal. Their specialty was Vanilla. Bryers Ice Cream used to buy all their Vanilla from them.(before being sold and moving away). They would randomly select employees to taste test the labs latest creations. They found I was consistently able to detect any artificial flavoring that was added to otherwise identical samples. Their head food chemist was the one that explained "Supertaster" to me. A couple of years ago there was a special on PBS about food and taste. The narrater host mentioned "Supertasters". See the link below for the Wikipedia entry.

Supertaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't feel like I'm missing anything. How can I miss eating what doesn't smell edible to me.

BTW: Peas, Carrots, Beans, Greens and many other vegetables do not smell bad to me. Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Spinach and especially Asparagus do. I'm not terribly fond of Cabbage either. However, that's because it gives me indigestion.
    I like cabbage cold (cole slaw) but I don't care for it cooking. I usually avoid Irish restaurants during St Patty's Day.

If I can pick your brain Joe, what it your favorite brand of ice cream.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Still aspartame free and still enjoying my system. The Monitor Audio RS6's are still in place. They are sounding so good that I have not given the Focal 806's or JBL Studio 530's a chance. Aspartame caused me to make some regrettable choices and miss enjoying my music. The speakers are not regrettable just the purchase of them before I knew how pleased I am with the RS6's.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I like cabbage cold (cole slaw) but I don't care for it cooking. I usually avoid Irish restaurants during St Patty's Day.

If I can pick your brain Joe, what it your favorite brand of ice cream.
    Sorry. I didn't see your post until now.
    The ice cream for me is Bassetts. I get it freshly made at the Reading Terminal Market. In a pinch it's Haagen Dazs. If I'm really "jonesing" I'll eat Bryers but only the Vanilla.

BTW: I love coleslaw even though it gives me indigestion.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    Sorry. I didn't see your post until now.
    The ice cream for me is Bassetts. I get it freshly made at the Reading Terminal Market. In a pinch it's Haagen Dazs. If I'm really "jonesing" I'll eat Bryers but only the Vanilla.

BTW: I love coleslaw even though it gives me indigestion.
    Bassetts is hard to find. One of our local restaurants serves it and when I eat there, I always save room for dessert. I like Bryers, but my wife is not a big fan. She's more partial to Turkey Hill "All Natural" and Ben and Jerry's. We have a Brewster's near us and we like their ice cream. We see them popping up in different areas, so you may have one near you. Thanks for the input Joe.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

In the early 70's while going to college and working a summer job (GI bill didn't cover all my expenses) I drove a Mister Softee Ice Cream truck. Once in a while the ordinary mix wasn't available and the owner had to buy mix with a higher butterfat content. That's the only time I would eat the stuff. The higher butterfat mix was what Dairy Queen used. That higher butterfat mix was what got me started in higher quality ice cream. Bassetts has the highest butterfat content and least amount of air I'm aware of. Bryers used to use the best Vanilla available. It doesn't taste the same as it did when they were located in Philadelphia.

Back to audio. You might want to start a food thread.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Back to audio. You might want to start a food thread.
    Sorry JM, you're right, we sort of high jacked this thread.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

My apologies also.

It was interesting and I think it should continue but let's start a thread about foods dislike and likes. Curious how many Andrew Zimmern's we have and who likes the most bizarre foods.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well the ears are still working better than ever. The Monitor Audio RS6's did not sound bright or metallic as they did before. They still sound good but they are definitely leading transient speakers. Lots of attack with little sustain to the notes. I would now describe them as being slightly aggressive.

I had to check out the Focal 806V's and have to admit they are too dark in the midrange for me. I was surprised now how little I like them. They need to be partnered with bright electronics.

Interestingly I find the JBL Studio 530's as better than I mentioned when they first entered the system. They are currently playing some Patricia Barber and doing a fine job. Remember I am only speaking of the two way Studio 530's and not any other JBL lines.
    Mr Peabody likes this.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

So many things can cause your ears to 'malfunction', so to speak. My ears are currently messed up due to many things; allergies, mostly. Salt is bad, alcohol is bad, tobacco, bad.

Having been diagnosed with Meniere's disease, I've been fighting hearing problems for about 12 years now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information