Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Ajani

Does "state of the art" matter?

A lot of review mags obssess over state of the art products and A lot of audiophiles attend shows to hear state of the art gear. But does state of the art (SOTA) have any relevance to the average audiophile?

NOTE: by 'average' I mean someone who can't/won't ever own any SOTA equipment.

I know some members here listen to SOTA gear to hear what the best available is and see how close their setup comes... Others claim we should all attend HiFi shows to pick a technology based on hearing the best examples of each category (e.g. best high powered solid state, best SET, best Vinyl, best CD, etc)...

Suppose I have a budget of $2K for a 2 channel setup... I go to CES and the 2 best sounding systems are a pair of massive horns driven by a 5 watt SET and a pair of garage door sized electrostats driven by a high powered tube amp... Does that mean that I should look to purchase a SET/horn or stat/tube combo for $2K? If I find that the best sounding gear within my budget is a 50 watt solid state amp and a pair of traditional cone speakers, then what's the relevance of SOTA to my purchasing decision?

When I have to choose between buying a Honda Civic and a Mazda 3, why should I care what Ferrari or Bentley are doing? Even assuming their SOTA tech will trickle down to my price range, it won't be anytime soon...

Just my 2, 3 and 4 cents, but I think the only thing that really matters is what is the best sounding gear, to me, in my price range....

Forum Regular
    You can't get much for $2,000. You can get near SOTA sound for $15,000-$20,000. My current system cost about $15,000 and can compete with ANYTHING I have heard either at shows or at audio stores. System: Fulton J speakers, Mystere CA 21 preamp, Fosgate phono unit (NOS tubes), VPI Scoutmaster, Ruby 3 cartridge, AR D 70 Amp.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by tube fan
    You can't get much for $2,000. You can get near SOTA sound for $15,000-$20,000. My current system cost about $15,000 and can compete with ANYTHING I have heard either at shows or at audio stores. System: Fulton J speakers, Mystere CA 21 preamp, Fosgate phono unit (NOS tubes), VPI Scoutmaster, Ruby 3 cartridge, AR D 70 Amp.
    Even with a budget of $15K, you won't get SOTA... So what benefit is there in listening to a SOTA system? Why not just look for the best you can get for $15K?

I do agree that while it is fun to listen to systems that are way out of a persons realistic price range and it can give a sense of what that kind of money will get a person it is much more useful to listen to products that you know are in your price range and that you could consider if they are of you liking. Most of the higher end companies out there have their "Reference or Statement" products that are designed using the best components and designs that each of these companies can get and while these products are state of the art as far as they way they are built or the components used in them that is no guarantee that every person is going to like the sound of these components or would spend that much for them anyway. I have heard many people say that they went to shows and heard systems that are well above any average persons affordability and they really were not impressed by what they heard and on the flip side of that I have heard people hear more affordable high end systems that blew their mind. But like I said while I do enjoy hearing the occasional super system I usually would much rather hear components that I could possibly afford with some time and saving.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

How do you define SOTA? Is it technological sophistication? Or is it ideal (subjective) sound?

It's hard to believe that it's a combination of for tech and subjective sound when pundits insist that the best sound is from the likes of SET and single-driver systems, technologies that have been around for generations.

OTOH, If SOTA is technology, then the real advances have been made in the likes of multi-channel high resolution like Dolby TrueHD delivered on Blu-ray, digital equalization, e.g. Audyssey, and in the improvements in light, cheap, efficient class D amplification.

Personally I don't know what to make of SET/HE because I haven't heard a lot of it. What I have heard, though, mostly lower end, hasn't impressed me all that much because I'm not convinced that it's really accurate sound. What bemuses me is that you can spend 100's of thousands on this stuff. I think there is a lot of "art" or maybe even "jewelery" involved; there is no science to demonstrate that silver wired transformers should out perform copper, but there are those willing to make them and those willing to buy them.

In the end I don't see the relevance of $10k+ SET/HE to me. But I do see a lots of trickle-down of the technology advances to the lower end equipment I might afford

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    How do you define SOTA? Is it technological sophistication? Or is it ideal (subjective) sound?
    I don't. I leave it open to either interpretation.

It's hard to believe that it's a combination of for tech and subjective sound when pundits insist that the best sound is from the likes of SET and single-driver systems, technologies that have been around for generations.

OTOH, If SOTA is technology, then the real advances have been made in the likes of multi-channel high resolution like Dolby TrueHD delivered on Blu-ray, digital equalization, e.g. Audyssey, and in the improvements in light, cheap, efficient class D amplification.
    IMO, the most interesting technological trend is keeping a signal in digital form from source to amp (e.g. NAD M2). I wonder how long before we see that tech in NAD's more affordable products...

Personally I don't know what to make of SET/HE because I haven't heard a lot of it. What I have heard, though, mostly lower end, hasn't impressed me all that much because I'm not convinced that it's really accurate sound. What bemuses me is that you can spend 100's of thousands on this stuff. I think there is a lot of "art" or maybe even "jewelery" involved; there is no science to demonstrate that silver wired transformers should out perform copper, but there are those willing to make them and those willing to buy them.

In the end I don't see the relevance of $10k+ SET/HE to me. But I do see a lots of trickle-down of the technology advances to the lower end equipment I might afford
    The way praise is heaped on such setups by fans you would believe that they have zero sonic flaws... With a little research (and a few lucky PMs) I discovered that a lot of audiophiles really hate the sound of such systems... In fact, they clearly detest SET/HE as much as the SET crowd detest SS/LE....

A major challenge in accessing truly expensive gear is figuring how much of the material contributes to sound quality. For example; a more affordable 25 watt class A amp will not be much (if any) bigger than a typical class A/B integrated, yet an expensive 25 watt class A will be the size of a small fridge.... Why is the massive heatsink necessary in the expensive amp but not in the more affordable one?

As with any other luxury good, the cost differences are not all about performance. Very few (if any) persons would spend $5K on an amp with a cheap gray plastic face plate (like an entry level NAD). So even if the 1/2 inch thick aluminum face plate adds nothing to the sonics, it is expected at that price range...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    In my mind a state of the art audio product is one designed with the best components and plenty of R&D time to design and tweak the product. A product designed without any price compromises. Once a SOTA product is created I may one day benefit from trickle down technolgy. Lessons learned in creating groundbreaking products have many times appeared in less expensive products later.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    In my mind a state of the art audio product is one designed with the best components and plenty of R&D time to design and tweak the product. A product designed without any price compromises. Once a SOTA product is created I may one day benefit from trickle down technolgy. Lessons learned in creating groundbreaking products have many times appeared in less expensive products later.
    That sounds like a good definition: essentially a no holds barred approach to creating a product... no expense spared in either R&D or Materials... just the best thing a company can design...

I also would expect tech from SOTA to trickle down to gear I can afford eventually... Still, I see no need (other than to entertain myself) to audition SOTA gear, if they are not within my budget...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    That sounds like a good definition: essentially a no holds barred approach to creating a product... no expense spared in either R&D or Materials... just the best thing a company can design...

I also would expect tech from SOTA to trickle down to gear I can afford eventually... Still, I see no need (other than to entertain myself) to audition SOTA gear, if they are not within my budget...
    This sounds very reasonable, at least on the face of it. But I know too that while some of the "no holds barred approach" contributes to performance, much of it is just BLING.

And I will argue that this is true not only for silver transformers but also a lot of supposed innovations. E.g. have you checked out analog preamps lately? They are remarkably simple devices, whether tube or s/s: one must ask how much better can a $25,000 device sound than the $500 device? Of course one might prefer the fine materials and appearance of the $25k unit -- so much so the one might ascribe to it more sonic improvement than it actually has.

So case in point, the highly praised MBL 6010D preamp is ~$25k, (see 'Phile review HERE). But the design is based on opamps, (widely reviled devices), and if based on opamps, how much better does it sound than the $500 Chinese knock-off, say from DIYGene, (see HERE). 50x better? 5x better? 1.05x better? Who knows? In any case one can't deny that much of the SOTA technology has already tricked down.

Ajani
    This sounds very reasonable, at least on the face of it. But I know too that while some of the "no holds barred approach" contributes to performance, much of it is just BLING.

And I will argue that this is true not only for silver transformers but also a lot of supposed innovations. E.g. have you checked out analog preamps lately? They are remarkably simple devices, whether tube or s/s: one must ask how much better can a $25,000 device sound than the $500 device? Of course one might prefer the fine materials and appearance of the $25k unit -- so much so the one might ascribe to it more sonic improvement than it actually has.

So case in point, the highly praised MBL 6010D preamp is ~$25k, (see 'Phile review HERE). But the design is based on opamps, (widely reviled devices), and if based on opamps, how much better does it sound than the $500 Chinese knock-off, say from DIYGene, (see HERE). 50x better? 5x better? 1.05x better? Who knows? In any case one can't deny that much of the SOTA technology has already tricked down.
    For some companies, 'no holds barred' just means using the most expensive materials possible to create a product, based on an existing design... Rather than attempting to create a new design from scratch... In such cases, there really is nothing to trickle down, since the design is pretty standard...

Also, chances are high that the most expensive materials contribute more to bling than to sound quality...

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Point 2 - budget - well no listening to a $500,000 system doesn't help you in the remotest with a budget of $2k

But audiophiles don't have system budgets of $2k. Just as no serious photographer buys $98 digital cameras, or car enthusiasts buy Honda Civics.

"The average" person isn't interested in audiophile sound quality. Audiophiles are people who tend to care about sound quality and put it ahead of other things spending more of their money on it than everything else. I gave up a car for 10 years to buy my system.

At whatever budget you choose you need to compare what is available at that budget - but you can STILL compare HE/SET to other designs. But let's be realistic - the options are not many. Klipsch is probably still the mainstream HE speaker - and it is pretty much what most people will have the chance to hear - but it's not really great. And even then in 99% of cases in Canada anyway - Klipsch is connected to some receiver at Best Buy or London Drugs. Hardly a great combination. And even then the Klipsch Reference line is not too bad at all for the money - more interesting to listen to than most in this price range - problems? Sure but so what most everything has problems regardless of price.

And finding a SET under 2 grand that is "truly" competent is next to impossible. There are some nice little tube amps out there but they have issues - at least all the ones I've heard so far. Tube amps can be good - Jolida's 302b but while I like it it does have a character about it. For the same money with the same tubes you could get a very different sounding ASL AQ1003DT - sounds punchier and leaner and more "accurate" in the SS like presentation of the term accurate (The Jolida sounds better if you want to listen to more than a few hours). The AN Kit one and Sugden A21a would top my list for budget integrated SET amplifiers to audition and one could make a reasonable judgment on the technology on the affordable spectrum. But to me both are the entry level of that spectrum - price of entry is higher because there are few makers of this stuff. There may be others of course but I have not heard them so I can't say.

But the A21a has been selling for over 40 years. http://www.audioconsult.dk/anmeldels...den/A21rev.htm

Kit One - which has been selling for 20 years+ so it's no slouch. http://www.audionote.co.uk/articles/...w_Listener.pdf

I once again make the same logic base case by looking at one company line-up. Company A makes an amp for $4k, $6k, $10K $15k $22k $50K $90k $250K. The improvements in sound is not subtle. Therefore for each step up or league up or level up you get a very significant improvement in sound. No I am not justifying the insane prices but then to someone with many millions $250k is peanuts. Wayne Gretzsky's rookie card just sold for $94,000. And it doesn't do anything but sit in a piece of glass.

The only relevant thing is making the comparison and hearing the improvements - If the $10k amp is using much more costly parts over the $4k amp - is more labour intensive and doesn't have an economies of scale (since far less $10k amps will likely sell compared to $4k amps) then while the cost of the parts may only double the retail price went up 2.5 times. But regardless of all of that if the latter amp is better sounding and as good or better than competition at similar prices then it is better. Some people will pay triple for subtle better.

I personally would rather compare systems. I personally start with an Audio Note level 2 system and compare every other system to this system and attempt to determine value and quality from that (including other more expensive Audio Note). Which is why personally - I would not spend the money on more expensive amplifiers like the Soro or Meishu. The Meishu is better but the price performance isn't where I like it. And I like the OTO more than the Soro - even though the Soro is more expensive - it's a different "sounding" amplifier and costs more to make which is why the price is higher. But I prefer the sound of the OTO - even if it does have a little more character. So long as I know what the character is and where it errs when it errs then it's a choice since everything errs no matter what they tell you.

You have to have some sort of "baseline" in order to judge. A "reference system" and reference doesn't have to mean best but it has to be "good." I prefer to compare systems because I am less interested in individual technology - I am interested in results. But it is nice to hear the best available systems so you know where your system needs to improve. My system I am comfortable putting up against pretty much anything I've heard at 2-3 or in a lot of cases many more times the price. OTOH I have heard a few systems then come home and kind of wished I stayed in my more lucrative career field than going into teaching because my system lacked in every possible parameter. So be it. Part of the fun of the hobby.

Forum Regular
    I repeat: IMO, my $15,000 system is as good as any I heard at the 2010 CAS. The only two rooms that really impressed me were the Audio Note and Teresonic ones. The Audio Note salesman admitted that the $4000 ANJ would have sounded better in the smallish room.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Point 2 - budget - well no listening to a $500,000 system doesn't help you in the remotest with a budget of $2k

But audiophiles don't have system budgets of $2k. Just as no serious photographer buys $98 digital cameras, or car enthusiasts buy Honda Civics.
    Car Enthusiasts don't buy Honda Civics? What world do you live in? I can't begin to count how many suped up Honda Civics are on the road.... Car enthusiasts buy them and trick them out to squeeze every last drop of performance out of them... If they could afford better they would, but they can't... That doesn't mean they're not an enthusiast...

$2K may not be a final system budget for many audiophiles, but it is at least a starting one for many... and even if the budget was $10K, you still won't get SOTA, so the point is the same...

I don't even remotely accept your logic that a certain amount of money has to be spent to be an audiophile or enthusiast... That's just the typical audio-snobbery that keeps many persons out of our hobby...

A few days ago, I was waiting for my lunch and picked up a car magazine. The feature article was about Bentley automobiles and I was truly bored with it. Last time I was in that shop, the current issue had a feature on a BMW. I was indeed more interested, since it was in a realm I could identify with.

I feel the same way about audio gear. When I was first getting into the idea of an upgrade from my 1970's gear, I heard a great system at a local boutique audio shop that was legitimately within my reach, cost-wise. It motivated me to assemble a fairly similar system. At a show last year, poppachubby and I heard some speakers that cost more than my car and looked like a dollop of soft-serve ice cream. We yawned and went to the next room.

It is the experience itself that matters

But does state of the art (SOTA) have any relevance to the average audiophile?
    Only if that individual can appreciate and enjoy that moment of hearing what a truly spectacular system can do. Hearing details with your favorite music that you've never heard before. Just like enjoying the rich experience of a live, unamplified concert. Which is most often not realized in a show environment. And not something you will be able to do the first, second or even tenth time you hear something for thirty minutes most often with unfamiliar content. Such really requires lots of exposure and ideally, with some training by an experienced ear.

I feel very privileged to have had that opportunity with two reviewer/mentors who I've known for over thirty years. I now realize that when I was in my teens and twenties, I could not fully appreciate what I was hearing. It took many, many hours of exposure to well matched very high end systems before I really got it. Do I enjoy hearing the various megabuck Sea Cliff systems? Hell yes! My sense of what an audio system can do has been recalibrated on several occasions over the years. If anyone tells you that you can achieve the same level of phenomenal transparency and dimensionality of a well matched half a million dollar system for $30,000, just smile since they don't have the long term exposure to the very best systems to really understand.

Back to your question, does such knowledge help in choosing a $2,000 system? Not really, since there will be so many compromises involved. The joy will continue to be in enjoying listening to your favorite music, regardless of system investment. While I enjoy my main system immensely, I spend more time listening to the decidedly more modest vintage system in the garage.

rw

Wink

NOTHING made with tubes is "state of the art", hasn't been since BELL LABS
    created the first transistor in the 1940's.
    RIDING horses is fun, but no equestrian has the nerve to refer to a horse as "SOTA".
    Unlike tube owners who have bought into the propaganda.
    DOESN'T matter, the last time tube gear was "SOTA" was sometime during the sixties.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Only if that individual can appreciate and enjoy that moment of hearing what a truly spectacular system can do. Hearing details with your favorite music that you've never heard before. Just like enjoying the rich experience of a live, unamplified concert.
    I feel very privileged to have had that opportunity with two reviewer/mentors who I've known for over thirty years. I now realize that when I was in my teens and twenties, I could not fully appreciate what I was hearing. ... My sense of what an audio system can do has been recalibrated on several occasions over the years. If anyone tells you that you can achieve the same level of phenomenal transparency and dimensionality of a well matched half a million dollar system for $30,000, just smile since they don't have the long term exposure to the very best systems to really understand.
    I never get to hear truly spectacular systems around here. And since I will never afford a $30k system much less a $500k system, perhaps my ignorance is bliss.

But "recalibaration" has happened for me a few times. E.g. when I replace my Phase Linear 400 amp, and my B&W DM7 speakers with Magneplanars.

Back to your question, does such knowledge help in choosing a $2,000 system? Not really, since there will be so many compromises involved. The joy will continue to be in enjoying listening to your favorite music, regardless of system investment. While I enjoy my main system immensely, I spend more time listening to the decidedly more modest vintage system in the garage.

rw
    Now this is acknowledgement that (a) SOTA isn't very helpful when building a quite modest system, (b) that you can enjoy music with much less that SOTA. I agree with both.

And since I will never afford a $30k system much less a $500k system, perhaps my ignorance is bliss.
    Nah. We'll never be able to afford buying a symphony hall complete with orchestra either. That doesn't mean we can't enjoy hearing and appreciating them from time to time.

rw

Ajani
    Only if that individual can appreciate and enjoy that moment of hearing what a truly spectacular system can do. Hearing details with your favorite music that you've never heard before. Just like enjoying the rich experience of a live, unamplified concert. Which is most often not realized in a show environment. And not something you will be able to do the first, second or even tenth time you hear something for thirty minutes most often with unfamiliar content. Such really requires lots of exposure and ideally, with some training by an experienced ear.

I feel very privileged to have had that opportunity with two reviewer/mentors who I've known for over thirty years. I now realize that when I was in my teens and twenties, I could not fully appreciate what I was hearing. It took many, many hours of exposure to well matched very high end systems before I really got it. Do I enjoy hearing the various megabuck Sea Cliff systems? Hell yes! My sense of what an audio system can do has been recalibrated on several occasions over the years. If anyone tells you that you can achieve the same level of phenomenal transparency and dimensionality of a well matched half a million dollar system for $30,000, just smile since they don't have the long term exposure to the very best systems to really understand.

rw
    Well said...

I can certainly understand the notion of enjoying a SOTA system just for what it is...

I may not have the experience of some lucky audiophiles, but I have found that differences are usually far more subtle than many claim... So I would expect that if differences do exist between a $50K and $500K setup, they would likely be only noticeable to a very experienced listener...

Also, the idea of drawing a serious conclusion about the quality of gear at an audio show is preposterous... I've been to dealers, forgotten to take my CDs with me and been unable to form an opinion on the gear, simply because I was totally unfamiliar with the type of music being played... Even when I carry my own CDs I normally need to have at least 2 or 3 sessions to come to a solid opinion on whether the gear moves me enough to consider a purchase...

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Car Enthusiasts don't buy Honda Civics? What world do you live in? I can't begin to count how many suped up Honda Civics are on the road.... Car enthusiasts buy them and trick them out to squeeze every last drop of performance out of them... If they could afford better they would, but they can't... That doesn't mean they're not an enthusiast...

$2K may not be a final system budget for many audiophiles, but it is at least a starting one for many... and even if the budget was $10K, you still won't get SOTA, so the point is the same...

I don't even remotely accept your logic that a certain amount of money has to be spent to be an audiophile or enthusiast... That's just the typical audio-snobbery that keeps many persons out of our hobby...
    I was thinking sports car enthusiasts who buy $500 beat up Camaro and turn them into something amazing. But yes there are people who rebuild Chevy Sprints in the same way. But if you didn't get the meaning I think you were looking not to.

You say $2k is not the final system budget but a starting point which implies that at some point they are going to want "more" from their audio - so why dictate what you think is what other people should be doing. And this is what you are doing whether you admit to yourself or not. The FACT is that a $2,000 stereo system that is a VERY good system will beat the crap out of any $500 boom box system that is out there. This person was an "audio snob" that spent a whopping $2,000 where most people would think is an obscene amount of money on a stereo. If you then tell someone that you think you have to spend $2k to get something quite good then you just insulted everyone who spent $500 on their boom box system that they think is real good.

I never said what you have to spend - there is a big difference on spending and accepting certain truths. I accept the truth that a Bentley and a Ferrari is a better car than my car or any car I am likely to afford. I don't need to spend that to know it. There are plenty of stereos that I will never afford - that I'd like to afford - but I don't try to insinuate at every turn that those people are deluding themselves and that it really is no better than whatever I think is the "pinnacle" of audio reproduction (which happens to coincide with what I spent). I have met a lot of people on forums that own $2k speakers and then blather on endlessly that spending more is just audio jewelry etc. Usually people who have heard next to nothing so they say this stuff to make themselves feel superior that they were smart to only buy $2k speakers.

There is no audio snobbery - You ask me what I think the best is and I'll tell you - the best 20 stereos I have heard - none of which are mine. Probably more than 20 - I'd have to go through my notes. But I don't say - I spent X and therefore that is the best there is. If I could go back in time I could probably spend the same or less and put together a better system (so could we all) but options come up at different times at certain prices that make us make the selections we make which may have been a second choice. So be it.

I think there is a minimum expenditure to get a sound that I feel separates itself from the pack - that doesn't mean I can't put together a really nice system for a friend regardless of budget (with reason). I actually enjoy the challenge of finding and putting together a system for relatively cheap and watching the jaws drop. Terry at Soundhounds practically makes it his mission to mix and match stuff and impress someone and when they see the system price they're shocked. And gee from a sales perspective - the more you can do that the more sales you get because the guy wants it more and it's affordable.

UHF used to do that - wish they still did. A system for $1200 which would have an integrated, cd player and speakers that would crush whatever Best Buy is selling for $4,000. To me that's more enjoyable than putting together a $30k system - at $30k it bloody well should sound good - probably does if they're reputable names. Putting together a $2k system that hangs in pretty good - is something the industry needs a LOT more of and may get more people in.

I like that some of the bigger high quality high end companies try to make gear at the lower end price spectrum to get people in - and I like companies like Grant Fidelity that try to keep the prices as low as possible, offer excellent sound, and ridiculous build quality which results in huge pride of ownership. What they need to do though it keep products in the stable longer - there is too much turnaround of gear IMO. But if you can live with knowing the product won't exist in 3-4 years you're good to go. The prices offset that concern in my view.

Forum Regular
    I know someone who owns a Ferrari, and several other cars. I have driven his BMWs and his Ferrari, and the Ferrari just sucks. It's WAY to noisy! Handling? The BMWs are better, BY FAR! Status? The Ferrari by a mile. Similar comparisons hold in audio equipment.

Ajani
    You say $2k is not the final system budgetbut a starting point which implies that at some point they are going to want "more" from their audio - so why dictate what you think is what other people should be doing. And this is what you are doing whether you admit to yourself or not.
    No, I did not say that. I said:

"$2K may not be a final system budget for many audiophiles"... So I am not doing anything close to what you are claiming... Nice attempt to spin the snobbish comment around on me... Try to use things I've actually said next time...

I never said what you have to spend - there is a big difference on spending and accepting certain truths.
    No you did not say what someone needs to spend (nor did I claim that you did) but you did say that:

"audiophiles don't have system budgets of $2k. Just as no serious photographer buys $98 digital cameras, or car enthusiasts buy Honda Civics."

So you didn't define how much must be spent to be an audiophile, but you made it clear that if your budget is only $2K then you are NOT an audiophile... Which is snobbery...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I think this is a correct and useful view. Notice I did not write "the" I wrote "a."

As a case in point, the speaker that most impressed me at the CAS 2010 was the JBL Everest II, at least from the midrange up. The LF was a bit of a mess in the overly large and awkward room, but that is in fact JBL's SOTA speaker, and I heard it later in the listening room at Harman/JBL's Northridge, CA facility and it was stunning beyond belief. Of course the SOTA Mark Levinson digital amps used there helped a bit, too.

Back at the CAS, to me and my companion the most impressive speaker overall was the Revel Utima2 Salon in that same miserable room, until...

...after the show closed for the first day a few of us begged the vendor to hook up the second-tier JBL K2 S9900 pair that was there but totally ignored against the wall. Reluctantly they did so, and I was so smitten with the K2s, even in that awful room, that now that same pair is sitting in front of me in my house as I write this.

They are not everything the Everest II is, but it's clear that they have been very much influenced by that flagship product, just as they are the clear successor of the old K2 S9800SE SOTA model. Without these SOTA products, the K2 S9900s sitting in my room would not be here.

You can also see the trickle-down in the excellent 1400 Array line as well, and in the Synthesis® One Array system down in my HT.

So from one great engineering effort comes many benefits, even though I'm not likely to ever have the $60,000 Everest IIs. New driver technology, new networks, new cabinetry design, new horn design (never thought I'd buy a horn), all brought improvements down the line in more and more affordable products.

Had I not heard how excellent the top half of the Everest was in that impossible room, I wouldn't have anticipated how wonderful the similar K2 would be. Also, I never would have imagined I could get the Everest sound in my home at a price I could actually (though painfully) afford.
    I like sulung tang.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by filecat13
    I think this is a correct and useful view. Notice I did not write "the" I wrote "a."

As a case in point, the speaker that most impressed me at the CAS 2010 was the JBL Everest II, at least from the midrange up. The LF was a bit of a mess in the overly large and awkward room, but that is in fact JBL's SOTA speaker, and I heard it later in the listening room at Harman/JBL's Northridge, CA facility and it was stunning beyond belief. Of course the SOTA Mark Levinson digital amps used there helped a bit, too.

Back at the CAS, to me and my companion the most impressive speaker overall was the Revel Utima2 Salon in that same miserable room, until...

...after the show closed for the first day a few of us begged the vendor to hook up the second-tier JBL K2 S9900 pair that was there but totally ignored against the wall. Reluctantly they did so, and I was so smitten with the K2s, even in that awful room, that now that same pair is sitting in front of me in my house as I write this.

They are not everything the Everest II is, but it's clear that they have been very much influenced by that flagship product, just as they are the clear successor of the old K2 S9800SE SOTA model. Without these SOTA products, the K2 S9900s sitting in my room would not be here.

You can also see the trickle-down in the excellent 1400 Array line as well, and in the Synthesis® One Array system down in my HT.

So from one great engineering effort comes many benefits, even though I'm not likely to ever have the $60,000 Everest IIs. New driver technology, new networks, new cabinetry design, new horn design (never thought I'd buy a horn), all brought improvements down the line in more and more affordable products.

Had I not heard how excellent the top half of the Everest was in that impossible room, I wouldn't have anticipated how wonderful the similar K2 would be. Also, I never would have imagined I could get the Everest sound in my home at a price I could actually (though painfully) afford.
    So if you had just gone to do a dealer and heard the K2, you wouldn't have been impressed enough to buy it? You had to hear the Everest to realize that the K2 is a good speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by tube fan
    I know someone who owns a Ferrari, and several other cars. I have driven his BMWs and his Ferrari, and the Ferrari just sucks. It's WAY to noisy! Handling? The BMWs are better, BY FAR! Status? The Ferrari by a mile. Similar comparisons hold in audio equipment.
    Aren't Ferrari's supposed to be noisy? All those mechanical and exhaust sounds are supposed to be very audible. The sounds a Ferrari makes is part of the reason you buy one. The sound of a V-12 at high rev's is music to my ears.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information