Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Aging Smartass
    I don't have too many more historical anecdotes to post, but here's one that I've thought about many times.

In 1967, Consumer Reports tested stereo receivers and gave the Lafayette LR-1200T a fairly decent rating, placing it squarely in the middle of the ratings. That unit was the first really good receiver ever under the Lafayette name, but it had been discontinued by then, and a new model wasn't going to be availble until early 1968. That model was the LR-1500T.

No Lafayette stores (with the possible exception of the 45th St. store in Manhattan) had any LR-1500T's in stock prior to January, 1968, when somehow, Consumer Reports had managed to get a hold of one and print a full two-page review on it, giving it their highest recommendation: that of being a "Check-Rated, Best Buy." It was as if God himself had declared the LR-1500T as "THE" receiver to own.

While the unit was actually pretty good (and, most weren't noisy as Markw's was), the question, "How did they get a hold of one?" was never answered. Here was a generally unavailable receiver heralded as the best available for the money by the most influential consumer testing publication in the world, and no one could say how CR ever obtained the unit they did.

Lafayette went on to improve the unit (the "TA" model copied H.H. Scott's "Perfectune" with a similar circuit called, "Acritune," among other things), and Consumer Reports continued to give the unit its Check Rated Best Buy accolade for a full five years running. Lafayette actually sold over 36,000 of them!

I've never accepted CR's ratings as sacrosanct, though millions of its readers do. And now, many years later, I sincerely believe that something decidedly underhanded resulted in that January, 1968 issue having that glowing review on the LR-1500T. There just doesn't seem to be any other explanation.

For those who may still be interested in this post's original intention (that is, "Pre-Melvin Walker"), my next installment will be an expose of the truly underhanded manner in which "The Absolute Sound" printed its horrible review on the Stanton Collector's Series CS-100, and how biased, and one-sided the young a**wipe who wrote it truly was. Stay tuned!

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by melvin walker
    Learn to respect others opinion , than they will respect yours !

But I do respect other's opinions - just not yours. And, it's "THEN," not "THAN" in the rest of your sentence..

I'm not the first one to criticize your poor spelling and grammar. Why is it you refuse to write properly? Even in your rebuttals to those who point out your errors, you continue to make still more. Why is that?

Insofar as my qualifications to "write history," I worked in this industry from 1962 until the early 2000's. From what I can tell, you read lots of audio magazines during that time frame. I'd say that puts us on two very different playing fields, no?

Suspended
    I still use moving magnet carts. It's just what I'm used to. I have been thinking about trying a Dynavector next which is closer to MC. No one has been able to tell me any good reason why MC is better to use over MM.

Who is Meg White?

Mutant from table 9
    In the early days of radio , the radio engineers used disk for recording rather than tape.
    The turntabes were rather large 16 inch tables ,with 16 inch arms. The term "by transcripton" was used to describe how the program was broadcast. The playback was done on 16" transmission turntables using 16" tone arms.

The early turntables used the name transcription turntable although the tables was now 12 inches as a sign of quality and durability . Fairchild an outstanding turntable of the 50's and early 60's used the term" Farchild Transmission Turntable" , so did Empire , Rek-O-Kut and Thorens.
    There was 16 inch arms and 16 inch tables for sale.
    Probably not. When I Googled "transmission turntable," I get nothing. On the entire Internet, I can find no other reference to a "transmission turntable" other than your post. On the other hand, I get thousands of hits for "transcription turntable" including the Rek-O-Kut and Thorens.

Why don't you come over to my house? I got a 16 inch arm to show you.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I still use moving magnet carts. It's just what I'm used to. I have been thinking about trying a Dynavector next which is closer to MC. No one has been able to tell me any good reason why MC is better to use over MM.

Who is Meg White?

I was kidding about MM. Here is Meg White. For some reason I can't embed the video, just click on the link.

Dang, that's not working either.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    But I do respect other's opinions - just not yours. And, it's "THEN," not "THAN" in the rest of your sentence..

I'm not the first one to criticize your poor spelling and grammar. Why is it you refuse to write properly? Even in your rebuttals to those who point out your errors, you continue to make still more. Why is that?

Insofar as my qualifications to "write history," I worked in this industry from 1962 until the early 2000's. From what I can tell, you read lots of audio magazines during that time frame. I'd say that puts us on two very different playing fields, no?
    . You have an opinion that I respect . Your past employment is a plus.
    What are your qualifications in English and phonics ? I will use the old metaphor , those who repair the Ferrari's don't own them and those who crush the grapes don't drink the wine.

Wine and car connoisseur don't work in the car and wine industries. I have found most men who wear and appreciates fine men's clothing are not tailors.
    That is not to say that the audio history you have gained over the years working in the audio industry is not valuable.
    But there is a counterpoint.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Man, this just ain't my day.
    <=== Sticky Bobby!!!

I have been thinking about trying a Dynavector next which is closer to MC.
    Not only closer, but all Dynas, regardless of output, are moving coils. I use a DV-20XH in one system.

Dynavector

No one has been able to tell me any good reason why MC is better to use over MM.
    To these ears, the lower moving mass MCs provide better focus and transient response. That's not to say there aren't some very good MMs around. I use a Shure M97E in the other table.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Probably not. When I Googled "transmission turntable," I get nothing.
    That's because he meant "transcription" (as you indicated).

"What's all this bruhaha over endangered feces?"
    Emily Litella

rw

Suspended
    That's right, now I remember, the Dynavector I was looking at was MC but high output so I didn't have to go in a switch my phono preamp around.

Yeah, yeah. We know you meant "transcription" turntable.

It's too bad you didn't know that when you wer posting that one.

In the early days of radio , the radio engineers used disk for recording rather than tape.
    The turntabes were rather large 16 inch tables ,with 16 inch arms. The term "by transcripton" was used to describe how the program was broadcast. The playback was done on 16" transmission turntables using 16" tone arms.

The early turntables used the name transcription turntable although the tables was now 12 inches as a sign of quality and durability . Fairchild an outstanding turntable of the 50's and early 60's used the term" Farchild Transmission Turntable" , so did Empire , Rek-O-Kut and Thorens.
    There was 16 inch arms and 16 inch tables for sale.
    Point us to any link on the Internet that refers to a "Transmission Turntable", besides one of your bogus posts here.

If not, that's just further proof that you're talking about things you can't comprehend and you're not man enough to admit it..

Well, surprise, surpise.
    Last edited by markw; 02-02-2008 at 10:08 AM.

Aging Smartass
    What are your qualifications in English and phonics ? .
    Other than having been a Speech Major in college, during which I took a number of courses in both grammar and phonetics (not, "phonics," which I doubt is the word you meant to use), I would say that anyone with a rudimenetary high school education, who managed to pass English over a period of 4 years would qualify as one to pick apart your poor spelling and grammar. You continually group two nouns together, and then use the singular part of the verb when referring to the two, which comes across sounding just plain dumb. "He and she were," not, "he and she was," is a perfect exmaple of something you continue to do over and over again.

One not need to have made a career out of grammar and phonetics to see that that's just plain wrong.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    It's too bad you didn't know that when you wer posting that one.

Point us to any link on the Internet that refers to a "Transmission Turntable", besides one of your bogus posts here.

If not, that's just further proof that you're talking about things you can't comprehend and you're not man enough to admit it..

Well, surprise, surpise.
    I was in error the word was transcription not transmission. Shut down your computer for a while and read some books. There are several publications covering the history of Audio !

Most young Americans know very little American history , political science ,and world history. Most young Americans are having problems locating different countries on a map.
    Most Young American know little are nothing about the United States Constitution.

When I was on radio I carried the United States Constitution with me. Most callers didn't know the meaning of impeachment. Are could identify the third in line to the presidency.
    I blame much of that on the computer. We simply don't read as many books as we did in the past. Instead if we want an answer we turn to a computer , fast answer , no in depth
    information.

Suspended
    Other than having been a Speech Major in college, during which I took a number of courses in both grammar and phonetics (not, "phonics," which I doubt is the word you meant to use), I would say that anyone with a rudimenetary high school education, who managed to pass English over a period of 4 years would qualify as one to pick apart your poor spelling and grammar. You continually group two nouns together, and then use the singular part of the verb when referring to the two, which comes across sounding just plain dumb. "He and she were," not, "he and she was," is a perfect exmaple of something you continue to do over and over again.

One not need to have made a career out of grammar and phonetics to see that that's just plain wrong.
    Maybe than you should have gotten a job teaching and learning manners.

Aging Smartass
    Maybe than you should have gotten a job teaching and learning manners.
    That's, "maybe then you should have gotten a job teaching and learning manners."

In all fairness, I must say that I, and others here on AR may be being unfair to you. I volunteer my time to read books (textbooks primarily, but an occasional novel) for an organization called, "Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic." A person who is dyslexic isn't necessarily dumb, or stupid, but simply doesn't see printed material in the manner the rest of us do. So, your use of "are" for "or" may be because you are dyslexic. In that case, my apologies, If not, then for God's sake will you please try to write properly?

Mutant from table 9
    I was in error the word was transcription not transmission. Shut down your computer for a while and read some books. There are several publications covering the history of Audio !

Most young Americans know very little American history , political science ,and world history. Most young Americans are having problems locating different countries on a map.
    Most Young American know little are nothing about the United States Constitution.

When I was on radio I carried the United States Constitution with me. Most callers didn't know the meaning of impeachment. Are could identify the third in line to the presidency.
    I blame much of that on the computer. We simply don't read as many books as we did in the past. Instead if we want an answer we turn to a computer , fast answer , no in depth
    information.
    Fine, you made a mistake and confused the words. But, what makes you a pompous windbag is that you tried to correct the error by continuing in your mistaken position by coming up with some bogus distinction between transcription and transmission.

See, as a young American with a Honors degree in History, I am able to recall words correctly, such as transcription.

You know, there are quite few Ph.Ds, MDs, MBAs and JDs surfing around this site. Half to the members that you have so flippantly dismissed have advanced degrees. Of the four degrees I just listed, guess which one I have... go on, I'll give you four guesses. That way you'll be sure to get it right, eventually.

But, remember, even with all my fancy book learnin', I'm not above drinking High Life, wearing Carhartt, watching NASCAR, and using loose language, such as "douchebag."

Welll, this is a first!

Kudos to finally owning up to this. Negative kudos for trying to alibi your way out of it by bluffing in a previous post.

My knowledge of audio history isn't an issue here. Yours is. You might want to brush up on audio history as well before posting erronous "facts"

Most young Americans know very little American history , political science ,and world history. Most young Americans are having problems locating different countries on a map. Most Young American know little are nothing about the United States Constitution.
    Well, post that on a site where it'll do some good. Burt remember, there'sa lot more history for them to learn than when you were in school.

When I was on radio I carried the United States Constitution with me. Most callers didn't know the meaning of impeachment. Are could identify the third in line to the presidency
    So, we're now dealing with Melvin walker, the radio pundit.

Since you now bring up your radio career as a badge of your authority. What name did you use on the radio, and when and from where was it broadcast?

This might serve to bolster your cerdibility here, which is sort of on the wane.

I
    blame much of that on the computer. We simply don't read as many books as we did in the past. Instead if we want an answer we turn to a computer , fast answer , no in depth information.
    As you've so aptly proven, but it can be a useful tool if implemented properly.

Mutant from table 9
    Oh, and second in line is Speaker of the House third is president of the Senate.. knowing that doesn't make you smart or well read.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    When I was on radio I carried the United States Constitution with me.
    Well that makes sense. Was it the same copy that George Washington gave you when you were in your twenties? Or did you later donate that one to the historical society, and just carry around the pocket version?

BTW I can only imagine how captivating your radio show must have been. Sorta like Rush Limbaugh, only more angry, less articulate, and even shorter on facts.

Now, please excuse me. I have to get back to reading. Got a midterm coming up this afternoon in my Saturday MBA class.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Cool

information.
    Dont even try to talk sense with this markw character.
    I think the "w " stands for whackjob.
    And its not the computer that makes a lot of modern Americans spoiled brats, like our good markw here, they werent taught any manners growing up, is all
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Cool

And I KNOW THAT ITS NOT WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT, I have heard about transcription turntables, but most have a mechanism for changing the speed, so technically almost all turntables have transmissons
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

I don't' care WHO you are. These last two posts were funny!

First. pixie talking about manners. that's like a priest talking about being married.

Next. he tries to justify the use of ""transmission" in reference to a turntable thereby assuring his title of one of the densest participants on this forum.

Pixie circles.. he bends, and, yes. he plants a kiss firmly on mel's butt! Get a room, you two.

But, all in all, a match made in heaven.

heh heh heh...

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    I think the "w " stands for whackjob.

And this, coming from you?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    First. pixie talking about manners. that's like a priest talking about being married.

Next. he tries to justify the use of ""transmission" in reference to a turntable thereby assuring his title of one of the densest participants on this forum.

Pixie circles.. he bends, and, yes. he plants a kiss firmly on mel's butt! Get a room, you two.

But, all in all, a match made in heaven.

heh heh heh...
    And this, coming from you?
    Ironic ain't it.

Kinda, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Ironic ain't it.
    Particularly when one considers he posted this in the HT forums in response to one of my posts about 1/12 hours before he made his presence known here.

I dont HAVE to deal with a friggin idiot like you, just ignore you in the future , which I fully intend to.
    As previously mentioned, a man is only as good as his word.

And, also from that same post...

And stay away from me, I DONT CARE FOR THE SMELL
    Yeah, right. Yet he follows me here, instantly becoming a stalker, something he was crying about PVS doing to him.

heh.. heh... heh...

"Somehow, Frank, I don't think you really come here for the hunting"

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information